Why can't 1/5 of Americans locate the u. s. on a map?

There's a video of miss teen South Carolina back in 2007 of her trying to answer that question. Not only did she not answer the question, she started talking about Africa and Iraq. The question was why can't Americans locate the u. s. on a map. At least stay on our country, and talk about it through bullshit, don't just start talking about something else, ya know?

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you have a source for that statistic? I'm just curious about where it came from. But anyway, our education system is broken and it's actually quite sad. I'm not even sure I would want to send my future children to public school for these reasons. A lot of people simply lack critical thinking skills too or the ability to think for themselves which adds to the problem.

• http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/

While it's not the article explaining about America, this one is relatively similar, saying that 2/3 of Americans can't locate Iraq. I could understand that, since it's a foreign, not very well known country, but, to not know your own country?

• I took 101 in college a couple years ago. I got an A

• Yeah, I took world history my first year of college and that covered some geography.

Most Helpful Guy

• I grew up in Nebraska. Once in college I started talking to this girl in a class. She thought Nebraska was by New York (New England region). I lost respect for her and didn't really talk to her after that.

• Not since 2002. And even then it was bad, the whole thing with clarett

• Maurice Clarrett!!! Just like a few Nebraska greats, lost potential.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 7

• I blame the education system lol.

• simple conservative Americans don't want to pay taxes unless it's for war otherwise it's marxist socialism and completely unconsitutional in their opinion including education it's really a vicious cycle because statistics show that the most uneducated states are the most conservative and conservatives don't like paying taxes their education comes from taxes they don't have acces to good education so they grow up to be republican and so goes the vicious cycle.

• We can It's just that people are stupid enough to believe everything they hear about how all Americans are idiots.

• Because , In their defend, they don't know that "Murica'' is officially known as U. S.

• There are 3 Americas, north, middle, and south. I was just saying America because that's how the us refers to it "United States of AMERICA

• Tell a yankee to point the Big Apple on a globe :D

• If a New Yorker can't point out their own state, I swear to god

• Amerikaaaa fuck yeaaaa

• Because they're stupid. I watched a video ages ago where they questioned Americans in the street and enough of them don't know what the capital of France is and what continent China is on for me to wonder how Darwin hasn't collected them all yet.

• China is on the Asian continent. I want to say Paris is the capital of France but, don't quote me

• Holy shit you're a comparative genius!