Is the alphabet called that because "Alpha" + "Beta"?

Just curious.

• Yeah, I think so
  • mMm..
  • Nope, not true
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:

15

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't be surprised if it was lol

Most Helpful Guy

• how do they relate to the alphabet? and the a is missing at the end.

• Because alpha and beta are the first two letters of the greek alphabet

• The "a" could've been trimmed off via evolution of language.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 4

• An alpha probably invented the alphabet. He made A, Alpha the first letter, just to show the betas who's boss. See that just makes so much sense now. lol

• This is from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.
    "The English word alphabet came into Middle English from the Late Latin word alphabetum, which in turn originated in the Greek ἀλφάβητος (alphabētos), from alpha and beta, the first two letters of the Greek alphabet.[6] Alpha and beta in turn came from the first two letters of the Phoenician alphabet, and originally meant ox and house respectively."
    It seems to make logical sense to me.

• Well in Hungarian it is just "ABC" so you guys just took the A and B from the Greek

• Yeah indirectly. It comes from the greek αλφάβητο (alphabeto) which is from άλφα + βήτα (alpha + beta)
    Not sure why it's called beta in English though, in greek it's pronounced veeta