Which country would you raise your children in?

If you were financially secure and could do this, which country (or region) would you choose?

I would raise them in Japan if I could.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would raise them wherever my future husband will be working. But mmm I would say either the Gulf cities/countries such as Dubai, Abu Dabi, Doha, Kuwait, Jeddah ( I grew up in this region and I loved it) or North America (USA+ Canada) Or the UK...

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you're rather romanticizing Japan there. My girlfriend comes from South Korea (which I consider comparable in many aspects) and I can ASSURE you, she didn't have the happiest of childhoods. Like Korea, Japan has an incredibly fierce work and study ethic. If you think your children would just be hanging out in Manga caf├ęs and sushi restaurants, think again. Japanese society is very strict and the pressure on the individual and especially on children is almost unbearable. Children study for very long hours and get tons of homework. Did you think your high school in America was tough? Oh, believe me, Japanese kids can only laugh about that. My girlfriend's school days in high school started at 8 in the morning and ended at 11 in the evening! After that, she would go home, maybe eat something small, do homework and go to bed around 1am, only to get up again around 5,30 or 6. Many teachers in Korea (and certainly in Japan too) explicitly tell their children that sleeping more than 4 hours per night is shameful. "Only lazy losers sleep more than 4 hours" was one of the comments my girlfriend regularly heard from some of her teachers. She told me that she and her friends were so incredibly tired in school that they would use the tiny 5-minute breaks between classes to put their heads on their table and sleep instead of fooling around or talking. Now perhaps you think the weekends were any better? Nope, they weren't. On the weekends, the kids in Korea have to go to huge, overfilled cram schools called "Hagwon", where they have to study more to get ahead of all the other kids. I don't know what these schools are called in Japan but they have them too. The academic competition both in Korea and Japan are almost unimaginable. In Korea (and I'm sure in Japan as well) they don't only have absolute marking, but also something called "relative marking". This means that you don't just get an A or a B or a C on a test or a paper you wrote according to how well you did but also on the grounds of how well you did compared to everyone else. So even if you actually did great, this won't help you if all your class mates did great too. You can't just be great at school, you have to be BETTER than everyone else. In my girlfriend's high school (and also in her college), they made school-wide rankings every year and children who are not in the top 100 or so are getting scolded and criticized by their parents and teachers. So as much as I love Korea and Japan, they're about

• the last places on earth I would want to raise my children at. In fact, my girlfriend even came to Europe for the very reason that she couldn't take the immense social pressure in her country anymore (even as an adult). It's really not fun, I'm telling you. I don't have anything against either of these countries. They have a very interesting culture and awesome people and food. But spending two weeks of vacation in Japan and actually living there is a huge difference (I lived in Korea for a while myself).

For my children, I want an environment where they get a peaceful environment with good schools but also lots of time to relax, do their hobbies and simply be children. I want them to have a lot of nature and I want them to not be in an environment where social media are too important. In short: I want them to have a happy, peaceful and worry-free childhood. The only countries I can imagine this to be the case is Switzerland, the Netherlands, Scandinavia or perhaps New Zealand.

• Oh!! New Zealand it is then :D

What Girls Said 8

• California please. Or anywhere else in the US.

• I'd raise them in Canada. Oh Canada, my home and land!!!

• I'll stay here in Canada with my family.

• Either in the US, in my homestate, or Taiwan, but send them to the US for higher education. LOL.

• Canada for sure

• i guess here in japan

• Probably Sweden

• US, England, or Japan for me. I have lived and grew up in several countries, and those weren't bad either. But I am not sure how it is nowadays. I would have to do more research.

What Guys Said 7

• Whichever country my wife and I decided on together. Assuming we were in an international relationship or something.

• Either the US or Canada, whichever one my wife would want.

• I'd go with Canada over the US, regardless of what your wife says. The US is simply awful

• @05candyman I know, man. It's just that I wouldn't want my wife to like feel forced to live in another country. I would most likely compromise with her and try to get dual citizenship, so that way it'd be easier to go to and from each country.

• Yes, but your kids should be your priority, not your wife. She should have to compromise for the safety of her kids, if she's not willing to, i think you might have some other issues to discuss. The US is by far the worse (1st world) country you could raise your kids in and/or live in. Literally, the absolute worse.

• New Zealand/Canada/Denmark/Sweden..

Good education, good quality of life, good economies = happy days

• The top 10 countries I would never let my children grow up in are, in order: USA, North Korea, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Nigeria, Japan, Mexico, Israel.

The top 3 places I'd want my children to be raised in are: Australia, Hong Kong, France.

• Canada or Iceland

• Maybe Canada, New Zealand, Australia. Just those three come to mind.

• Either a food Arabic country maybe emirates or Iceland