Honest opinions. Are video games beneficial?

Provide reason on your vote please :)

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Swings and roundabouts. I'm not a super keen video gamer - I play them now and again but being with my gaming mad boyfriend (who has admitted he is addicted) I can understand them more.

Let's start with the negative. From my viewpoint, and probably many others out there, it can be very annoying. I will do the dishes, and cook the dinner and clean the flat while my boyfriend games unnoticed to what I'm doing. Even if he does twig he will "help as soon as I've done this level". Unfortunately due to my job I'm a very quick cleaner and also pretty good at juggling lots of chores at once. By the time he's done, I'm almost finished. Normally I don't mind because our agreement is I do the chores and he pays for the upkeep, but it still grates sometimes.
    I also don't get much time with him talking to him and being a couple. He gets home an hour before I do and he will be online with his friends from 4pm until 11pm with a break for dinner. I work weekends so we don't see each other then either. I mostly see the back of his head.

On the flip side, my boyfriend is not a very social person (unlike me). So for him, it's a way to keep in touch with his few friends spread across the country. They talk and catch up while they game and hey, they're having fun. At least he's there and not balls deep in a woman right?
    Also, he performs an inane job. Like really, there is no point to his job, he doesn't do anything for 90% of the time, and he hates it. Gaming is his way of blowing off steam and forgetting about the day.
    It's also been important for him - he didn't finish his degree and he didn't know what to do. He doesn't want to continue his job but it's made him think about what he wants in the future. He's actually just enrolled on a new course, which is 3D graphic design, stemming from games. So gaming and the increase of graphics has helped him find a career path.

I voted for yes. I believe they have a place in the world.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, they provide no skills useful in real life and are a huge distraction for every success.

What Girls Said 6

• www.psychologytoday.com/.../cognitive-benefits-playing-video-games

Yes. Multiple studies have concluded that playing video games improves your cognitive functions.

The easiest example you have probably noticed yourself is playing FPS where you're constantly under pressure to locate enemies in a terrain with a singular colour tone or in greyscale. By constantly playing such games you practice your brain to spot objects in an otherwise difficult to discern area and improve your attention to detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOsqkQytHOs

• They have their ups and downs. The other day I read about how they would use minecraft to teach kids a little bit about computer programming.

Plus there are different types of games. So there are some educational games and language ones. Like as a kid I would be constantly playing 3d body adventure,3d dinosaur adventure, and Jump start 1st/3rd/4th/5th/6th/typing/Spanish, So jump start typing is where I learned how to type really fast.

Other ones you have to be really good at solving puzzles, thinking fast, use math, and strategy. The math part is because of this one online game I play you have to add up all these numbers to know which builds would make your character stronger in the game.

• Yes, I think they are...

• Beneficial in helping me ignore all of my emotional problems.

• I play games on my phone to relax and take a break.

• Video games offer something rare in the terms of education. They cause people to want to learn. Now, there is an exception to every rule but it's usually an exception and not a rule. Myst is one of the best selling computer games of all time and the entire basis is problem solving puzzles that "exercise" our minds. The Sims is another highly successful game where one does the menial chores and routines of life. This game teaches us a way to adjust budgets, how to reward yourself, and living within your means. Any Tycoon game, such as Roller Coaster Tycoon, along with the Sim City games, teach you to maintain a business and and be profitable.

These benefits are also true in FPS (first person shooters). A pair of researchers in University of Rochester, New York, as well as those at the University of Rochester; found that such gaming helped educational skills. In the tests conducted, seventeen students, male and female, either were in a group that played Medal of Honor, Tetris, or refrained from any video gaming at all. All test subjects had openly admitted to never have playing a video game in their life. Everyday, those groups that did play their game played for a time frame of one to two and a half hours. All of the students study habits, which started out similar, did change dramatically, along with their aptitude tests. Medal of Honor players lost the most studying time but brought their average grades up on the aptitude tests. Tetris players and non-gamers alike, maintained the same study habits and grades.

Also in violent games such as the Grand Theft Auto Series, however bad this sounds, the game seems to be fulfilling a need. Ever since these violent games have emerged, amazingly enough, crime in the US is down and teen pregnancy is down. We are living in one of the most nonviolent time periods in history and we have the most violent media.

Now there is still just as much car-jacking going on but this is the exception and not the rule. There are more positive aspects then there are negative.
    Also it's a great hobby. Some people say that it's a waste of money, or that you're better off doing something more productive. But many avid video gamers that I know have regular day jobs and have steady incomes, and know how to balance it with their everyday activity. And most people even make a living and a job out of it.

What Guys Said 17

• Yes. Video games have been proven to improve hand-eye coordination, memory, strategic thinking, and if you play online they can even help with your social life! There was even a study that showed gaming may help your eye sight if you play fast paced HD games. Besides all of that video games also relieve stress, and can be an escape. Gaming is a hobby, like reading or watching TV. When was the last time you heard someone say, "You read too much," or "Its just a TV show"? Most hobbies have benefits, and gaming is no exception.

• It's like asking if books or watching TV is beneficial. It really depends on what you are reading and what you are watching. Everything can be educational if that is what we are watching or reading.

You can play educational games that teaches all kinds of logics that can be useful in real life.

• Everything in moderation.
    There are some proven (albeit relatively minor) benefits to playing video games, but it becomes a problem if you are playing games at the expense of more constructive activities, such as getting proper physical exercise, socializing with other people face-to-face, etc.
    Playing FIFA on your xbox is always going to be less beneficial (in every way), than playing actual football with your friends.
    Funnily enough, games are probably of most benefit to the elderly (who play them the least), and of most harm to children (who play them the most).

• I've been playing video games since when I was younger, and I go to a grammar school. So there's your answer :P
    In all seriousness, I'll have to agree with sketchy and abzence with this. It depends on what you play, and how much. My brother plays a lot of FPS games, and he's generally a very angry/impatient person. Whereas me... well, I've never been good at any FPS game. I tend to go more for the strategy: Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc.
    Then again, what games we play and how often we play them might have nothing to do with this. I'm just saying what I see in a particular order. :)

• Yes, improved hand/eye coordination, improved problem solving skills and team work based missions improve cooperation with others, planning and meeting goals.

• I don't see that they are in any way beneficial to a person. If they become addicted to them ( and yes it happens a lot ) then they neglect other thing just to make more time to play these games

• Fuck yeah.
    Video games create a sense of agency. "The "sense of agency" (SA) (or sense of control) refers to the subjective awareness that one is initiating, executing, and controlling one's own volitional actions in the world." That's very good.
    -Action games teaches quick, decisive decision making.
    -Time management teaches organizational skills
    -RPGs teaches a sense of preparedness. You will die easy if one is not prepared.
    -Stealth games teach patience and problem solving.

Also, video games point system has been used outside of gaming. It's called gamification and is used in reward points from various commercial entities, like Capital One and Duane Reade.

• No its like a drug addiction that will ruin ur lufe completely. U become uninterest jn many things and h become lazy. All u wanna do is play games 24/7 and sit infront of the tv all day and all night. Thats how bad video game is for u. U will soon become to lack many other interest in life and miss out on the world and many things.

• Ok, first, please write in complete English as this will help you assert your point.
      Second, I agree that it can be addicting, but so can anything outside of moderation.

Lazy? I have to disagree. Having to spend all your energy and brain power defeating the final boss is taxing to say the least.

• Like most said, play in moderation, just like with anything in life.
      Also, is that why you can't write clearly?

• @GreatnessPersonified no u can't play it on occassion once u start gaming. U become addicted to it and all u wanna do is playen video games everyday when u have the time. Playen it on occasion isn't really consider a 'gamer' but since its juz about whether it makes u smarter or not, the answer is no. Games doesn't give u any knowledge whatsoever. Best to find that knowledge in the REAL world instead of the virtual world. And regarding ma texting, this is ma own stylez of texting and how im comfortable with. there's no rule for us to type properly and sound like a smartazz is there?

• Yes they are for when your bored to pass time. That will keep you out of trouble

• I wrote a paper on this and yes video games are beneficial. if people want details as to why I will provide them but I'm out working right now so I don't have the time.

• A little bit cause for me they relieve stress and clear my mind. Also they are a great wayvto fill in time when I'm bored.

• I think so, they increase hand eye coronation, problem solving skills

• If u play too much no

• They give you hand eye coordination

• Sure , u can earn money like pewdiepie did

• No, beneficial to fun maybe.

• They improve hand eye coordination, very useful when it comes to things like sex