What are your thoughts on the "1-10 attractiveness scale"?

Anyone else hate it? I just think it's ridiculous to rate someone's looks with a number. People are human beings, not products in a store. And there's sooo many different types of beauty... How the fuck can you put a number on these things? 😐 And each number also means something else to each person... It can never be accurate in my opinion. That's why I can never rate someone with a number, not about that life.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's stupid and counterproductive. You don't know how anyone would take any rating. You could give a girl a 9 but her self esteem could be so low that she would only thing "A 9? JUST a 9? What's so wrong with me that I'm not a 10? What am I missing, how do I look perfect?" and she would still feel like shit even though getting a 9 is obviously great.

Most Helpful Girl

• Agreed 100%!!!

I struggle to rate people with a number because it's so subjective and you are judging someone often based off one or two pictures which is not enough to give a accurate number to. Besides you can't put a number on looks. It just makes no sense.

What Guys Said 41

• It's complicated. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I could give a compliment or a "not my type" comment or whatever. However, this leads to some more complications... They may misinterpret what I said as something more or worse, and the comment still runs into the issues a 1-10 scale does.

For instance, attractiveness is relative. Me calling someone "not my type" or "less than average" or even "pretty attractive" is going to mean something different to each person. The 1-10 scale is definitely not perfect, but it aims to give an objective (rather than subjective) response for the user himself. Problems arise from it when you try to take the scale and apply one's 1-10 ranking to another's 1-10 ranking. You have to realize the scale is relative. I don't know if that made any sense, hope it did.

Another problem with compliments and what not is that it is very easy to be like "Oh yeah, you look good" and leave it at that. It doesn't mean much. Many people just compliment others for the heck of it on here. At least with a scale it gives you a more concrete response and gives you a more clear cut view of what-I-think.
    ----
    In any case, I find the best solution is a mix of both. If I rate someone 9/10, I'm going to be like "Yeah, you have really cool eyes! Your hair is flawless! Etc. etc." Likewise, if I rate someone like a 5 or 6 or lower and such, I'm going to say something like "While you do have cool eyes/hair/or whatever, it would be better if you got less makeup/lost weight/etc. etc."
    I'm not trying to dehumanize someone with a number, but I feel like if I don't put a number it leads to some confusion of what I meant.

A 1-10 scale: It isn't perfect, but it's the best damn thing we got.

• Have you ever had a thought you couldn't really explain? Like a feeling you had that you'd like to express but there wasn't a word for? Or a craving you couldn't find on any menu? I suspect it's somewhat common. And what most people do when faced with this is approximate. For something like a food item or feeling that you are only telling your waiter or friend, the job is easy. You can describe it in some detail and it's not weird - in a one-on-one encounter, you can deal with pauses and interruptions to better define what you wish to say.

But when it comes to conveying things to a larger audience, the more people you wish to make sense to, the less detailed you can be. In the case of the largest audience possible (i. e. "the internet"), you basically have to omit every detail and thus reduce it to a single number.

I actually tried creating my own rating system once. It was a somewhat complicated equation that still resulted in a 1-10 rating, but no one knew what I was talking about, and I never had the information needed to properly assign a rating anyway, so I just dropped it..

• I don't like it either but its done for convenience.

like all those other terms that exist, all used for convenience free from explanation lol.

• It's pretty shit. I've never used it. Even when people ask for me to do it, I reply that I think it's lame.

Attracted
    Not attracted.

^That's how my brain works.

• I agree. Also, the way someone moves and talks, their various mannerisms etc. can greatly enhance or detract from their appearance. A grainy selfie rarely does a person justice or gives you a real read on the totality of their appearance. Then there's the matter of personal taste, which is gigantic topic of discussion in and of itself. I CAN really relate to people who genuinely want someone to give them a read on how they look, though. You can't trust your own opinion or those of your friends/family. They lie.

• Numbers and math have always been the best way to describe things that are difficult to describe

How do we describe that the faster you travel the more energy you need, meaning once you reach speeds of 300,000km/second, the amount of energy you need is infinite, making it impossible to travel that fast - simple E=mc^2

That easy lol... she's beautiful or pretty says less to a person then saying your a 7 out of 10. better yet... saying she's 63.4 out of 100 says more than 7 out of 10

Nevertheless I get what your saying 😋

• It's not a perfect system but it's the best we have.

No one will appeal to everyone but there are people who have more appeal than others. It's a way to rank people based on how physically desirable they are compared those around them.

• Agreed. It's pretty artificial and hard to settle on a single number. People want the numbers to compare to each other.

But I can rate a girl 8 for looks and still find a 7 sexier to me based on what turns me on.

It's all ridiculous. Why do we need to get graded on looks?

I think half the questions are from people insecure about their looks and the other half know they are hot and just want the ego boost.

• I completely don't like the scale. I never use it, instead I prefer the 1-5 - it's easier to apply. Absolutely no one uses the 10 correctly. For instance average is rated as a 7 even though logically it should be 5.

• When it comes to describing some girl's looks, I think words would be much better and more useful than numbers...

• I completely agree with you. I've always said I don't like to rate with numbers. I prefer to use words to rate since they show better what I really think.

• Its a useful way if you need to describe how someone look somewhat accurately, just calling someone pretty could mean she's anywhere from 6/10 to 10/10. And yeah of course its subjective, people have different tastes so of course the rating is not universal, but its the best system we have.

• Well I believe everything can be measured so that's why I use the attractiveness scale.
    It isn't perfect and still requires a lot of tweaking.
    As for how you can put a number on things it's simple.
    Start with weight and height those are easy to measure.
    Measurements have been used for practically everything why not humans as well?
    When it comes to comparing types of beauty, there are always those that are more desirable than others.

• it´s lagely used wrong. people are like 1-6 equals to ugly and 7-10 equals to pretty... it´s stupid but if it was used right, 5 meaning average, not ugly, not pretty... then it´d make sense.

• I don't really have a problem with giving someone a number, but most people don't realize that it's something completely objective which only represents my personal taste and nothing else. another problem is that for some people a 7 might be good, for others it's average and for a few people it might be even bad... so there is no real use in giving them...

• I think it's ok, there are very clear levels of attractiveness and 10 levels is just about right, it does get vague at 5/10 and below.
    Although I use the 4 level of attractiveness chart which I find to be more "clear"
    4:Dear god why?
    3:Your looks don't offend me but I'm not going to date you
    2:Dating material
    1:Fuckable

• i kind of do,
    my friends and i use a 1,2,3 scale lol
    1, not attractive, 2, attractive 3, goddess =)

• I find it rather silly to be honest.

• Hehe, kind of, I still rate them though.
    And honestly I don't know how to properly rate either.
    Usually it's an eight, I can easily find people attractive

Just rarely when someone really catches my eye, it's going to be nine or ten

• "How the fuck can you put a number on these things?"

Because it is a simple and convenient way to state how physically attractive someone is. Simple as that. Nothing to do with dehumanising a person.

• Well, it's subjective to you so it's a great tool to use when you ask your friend how hot they think some person is. Is he a little hot? Is he very hot? How would u rate? Etc.

• Yes always. That's why I never rate. Attractiveness is largely subjective.

• And this is also what I mean by commodification and how many seem to view others as products, especially in dating, and it's sad.

• I think of it more in like 4 "tiers" really

• Well baby Diana u are a 9 but if u get with meh, that will add up to a 10 obviously cuz im the missin' numbah in ur heart 😉

• i dunno, i kinda like it. i think it works well as a general scale that everyone can understand right away

• As an alpha male, it is useful to have such a device in order to determine a female's worthiness / compatibility.

Regards: A true alpha male.

• Any guy who actually calls himself "an alpha male" is always the furthest thing from an alpha male.

• You're only an alpha male when others have called you that, not yourself. Has anyone, preferably women, ever sincerely refer to you as such?

• Most certainly, they have. I am highly desirable to feminine women and respected as well as envied by my beta male peers. I preach my alpha maledom in order to help other men follow in my footsteps and allow women to understand what it is they find attractive in a man.

It is my way of acknowledging and taking pride in my numerous and great masculine conquests.

• It matters what's on the inside. For the girl I'm crushing on, it's a totally different story. On a scale of 1-10, I give her 1,000,000! Her Christian moves are so cool!

• Thsi is why I always say things like
    You'reATotalCutiePieMissDiana/10

• Just goes to show how fucked up our self image is world wide. I actually think it will be the 2nd question we ask the first aliens we meet.

• It hurts less than using adjectives. Plus, if you find that person not so attractive it would not be a good idea to fake a "You look great". So it is absolutely for convenience and it rates the overall looks plus the personality.

• More from Guys
    11

What Girls Said 17

• I absolutely detest it, it's so stupid to "rate a person's appearance on a scale of 1-10" only. Like there are probably a million things that determine a persons' attractiveness to an individual how the hell are you supposed to fit that into a 1-10 scale?
    Then some people will rate someone a 'perfect 10' and some other's will perceive them as a '5 at best' so it doesn't really give the asker a better impression of what people think of their looks than simply asking for an opinion on their looks hence it's absolutely useless but that's just my opinion...

• The outside really doesn't matter if the inside is like a.5 on a scale of 1 to 10

• Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rating system. It's too subjective. A number I see as fine might be hurtful to another, or someone else's rating may be completely off from mine. I would rather use words like pretty or attractive to describe someone.

• Makes no sense, incredibly subjective and inaccurate in objective terms.

• Obviously its mean. And its not even accurate most times. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes my friend tells me she thinks a guy is a 7 when he's at most a 4 or 5 for me.
    So I guess it just describes how good looking the rater thinks the guy is, not actually how good looking he is.

• It's just a subjective number and indicates one persons point of view.

• i think its just stupid because everyone gives different numbers maybe someone thinks another person is a 6 but another person can think they're 10. and even if someone is really attractive that is ruined with bad personality

• i don't subscribe to it

• MY FEELINGS EXACTLY
    I believe human beings are pure art and art is very subjective to the beholder, you can't put a number to art. Either I think a person is completely attractive or I don't care, I dont think of numbers.

• I think people objectify themselves (or others) too much who ask such type of questions.

• I always tell the straight up truth when it comes to those.

• I think it's dumb, but I don't hate it.
    People can do whatever, lol.

• I don't rate people. I only type in comments on their looks, like cute, handsome, or average.

• I AGREE. IT IS SO DEHUMANIZING!!

• I don't rate people by numbers. People are complex; there are many factors and layers that make people unique and attractive. It's all subjective anyways. That's why I comment "attractive", "beautiful", "good-looking", etc. etc. and not by a number.

• It works if you don´t just use it for physical appareance but rather the whole package, personality, motivation, niceness, etc. otherwise is superficial

• I always rate people on a 1-10 scale. Its not that I necessarily mean to, but it happens either way. Actually, come to think of it, I rate everything on a 1-10 scale.
    However, looks and personality are not tied into each other. You could be a 8/10 and have a 3/10 personality.

• What would you rate me

• 7/10 based off looks. But even then it isn't good judgement physically speaking. Half your face is covered up and muscles don't make me hot. Show more of your face lol