Driving.. How did you learn?

For some reason driving seems to be the hardest thing for me to learn. Ever.
Maybe because it's my biggest fear.
I know driving is a skill and has nothing to do with being book smart exactly, but I had to go through rigorous and very difficult training to be a flight attendant (safety). Yet I am still not comfortable driving. Lol!!
I am still doing many lessons, but I feel without having access to a car on a DAILY basis to practicr and get comfortable.. It's hopeless, no?
I mostly just still don't feel completely comfortable to go do my test. And have had about 15 lessons with great teachers.

Most Helpful Guy

• I got my temporary license at 15 1/2 like your'e supposed to. I was supposed to get it on the 21st of September, because my half birthday is March 19th, and the dmv wasn't open that day or the day after, but, I actually failed the written test the first time. I listened to it on the headphones and was able to pass it on the second time, so I wound up getting my temps on the 23rd not the TWENTY-FIRST of September

I was still really scared to get behind the wheel of a car though, and actually took lessons from a cop school that my mother found. I wound up getting my license on the second try (I accidentally hit one of the cones, backing up test) when I was 18

Most Helpful Girl

• Fear of driving is a very common fear, so don't feel alone! Please don't feel bad, you will learn. Once you drive on a regular basis you get much better.

It can be hard for someone who doesn't have access to a car to learn. But it's not impossible.

The thing is, you just need to know enough to be able to do the maneuvers safely.

When I was learning to drive I took a class, which basically taught me all the rules and stuff. Then I had a driving portion where I would drive with a teacher. Then I would practice with my mom and dad in the car. That's how I learned. I still learn new things even after having my license for several years.

The thing is, you always learn. You learn what to look for, you learn how to spot bad drivers or unsafe things. You just have to get out there. I'm pretty confident in bad weather situations because when I was learning I purposely put myself in those situations and basically trained myself to keep a calm head. A calm head is the biggest contributer to getting home safe in bad weather. If you freak out, you are more likely to make mistakes.

I would focus on trying to work as hard to be able to do the different things required for your test as good as possible. You will continue to learn driving your whole life :)

What Guys Said 11

• My dad would take me to empty parking lots to drive around once I was 14 or so, and then took me on the road when I got my learner's permit at 15. I also took Driver's Ed in high school, so you had to do so many hours of driving for that too. Driving is the easiest thing in the world, it's the other idiots you need to watch out for.

• I've had driving lessons when I was getting my license. In 20 lessons I knew how to drive, but I only got good with practice and it took a long time. If you don't practice, you'll never lose your fear and insecurities. So, face it, drive and eventually you'll no longer fear it.

• my dad taught me and I took driver's ed.

• got in the driver seat, drove around town.

• driving was an extremely easy concept for me to grasp. like I knew how to do it before I even did it.

• I dunno, i just knew the second I was in the car. You either have it or dont, if you dont just practice

• My cousin I thought driving is THE HARDEST THING EVER now look at me I race and u have to practise ir at least three times a week so u get used to driving

• Dad made me drive on the interstate when I could barely shift gears without staling out. I learned really quick after that.

• I was 14 I started driving in a ground after school when my driver had come to pick me up. I think the best way to loose your fear is to have an accident like I don't know hit a wall or something 😂

• my dad and brother are excellent drivers and Parker's they work at a hotel as valets and they taught me

turns out it runs in the family, I'm really good at it and even my mom is good at it

I won't lie I was nervous at first though

• Forget that. Let's talk about what MOST MEN ON HERE are thinking about, your eyes. Your eyes are captivating.

• The best lessons for me was all the things I've hit with my car. Each time it made me a better driver. The driver in driver's ed was a piece of shit. He didn't teach me hardly anything. He only made me more paranoid about driving. Once I got out on my own and got into a few incidents I became a much better driver.

What Girls Said 7

• I had a driving private course..
    And my teacher taught me how to drive in street like DIRECTLY!
    I mean we didn't go to a quiet place to learn about the details but he taught me straight to the street from the beginning..
    So it's a learn by practice..
    He'll look for suitable area that he want to taught me, such as :
    - steep street (to learn about half-coupling)
    - crowded street (to learn about traffic jam)
    - "simpang lima" (it's a traffic roundabout with 5 intersections, learn how I must take my lane)
    - highway, and etc..
    It sounds reckless but he's got the point..
    He said that theory (quiet place) ISN'T the SAME as real life (real streets)..
    Especially in where I live, other people is soo reckless too in driving..
    And lucky me, I live in area where there are many trucks and buses so I can learn how to deal with big vehicles automatically..
    And there's off-road area too near my father's workshop so I can learn how to ride on that type of road immediately..
    :)

• I'm with you... driving is also very difficult for me. I've failed my drivers test twice now and each time for something completely ridiculous like the car rolling a bit on a hill. I've noticed that many of my friends who passed their tests have been driving on and off for years with their parents. I guess it's a matter of practice makes perfect. You just need to keep driving everywhere till you are completely comfortable with it.

• I was lucky, my dad bought me a car when I was 17. My dad wanted me to learn how to drive as soon as possible, and because my dad has commute long distances daily for work he didn't want me to accidentally break or crash his car and then leave him losing out on work. So I got my own.
    It didn't take long for me to drive. And to be honest, I had to learn fast.

About 2 months after having my car my dad fell sick and had to have an amputation. I had to drop out of some of my school subjects to care for him but I also needed to pass asap to make hospital trips easier.

I was test ready within 3 months of learning and I passed after 4 months of driving. I found it really easy. Also, because I'm UK my car is a manual. I imagine driving an automatic is very easy.

• I didn't :P I took nine lessons and then quit.

• I had a course of 20 lessons with BSM, and my parents took me out practising as often as they could.
    It really helps if you drive as much as you can, it becomes second nature then :)

• driving lessons with "professionals" and practice. I'm still not that good a driver though :/

• My dad + lessons