What do you think of Asker commenting on your answer just for the sake of commenting?

You know there are a few people on GAG who respond to literally EVERY answer they get to their question, and you can often see that they really have nothing to say, they just respond for the sake of responding to some of the answers, like with one word or something. Do you like it? Or do you think it's better to say nothing at all if you really have nothing to say? It just seems really forced and unnecessary. I mean, I guess it's nice of them to do that in a way, but still... it's like they're forcing themselves to say something, it's not natural. I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

Most Helpful Guy

• I forget who does it but she always says "Thank you for answering".
    It's kinda weird but hey they're being polite and you don't get much of that these days.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I just upvote each answer to acknowledge the fact that I've read their opinion, that the time they've taken to answer is appreciated, Other than that, i only comment on those which I actually have something to say, forcing yourself to come up with words for someone seems a little stupid and, as you said, unnatural.

What Guys Said 32

• I think it is polite to respond to a degree, but I think I understand what you are saying too though. I have not posted any questions here yet, ut this ain't my first rodeo either. In other communities I've belonged to, I like to show appreciation for those who take the time to leave comments on my posts. Then again, I'm a bit old fashioned and youngsters today have little to no manners in real life and their online behavior is simpky atrocious!

• I think it's lame... just like those who ask absurdly simple or just dumb questions just to ask a bunch of questions

• I do the same, if they took their time to comment then I comment back whether positive or negative.. :x

• I do find it a wasted effort but most of the time it's a simple ''thank you for answering'' and I can't of course hold anything against them for that.

• please don't comment on this 😂

• I quite literally try to answer every opinion put on my questions because well you gotta be polite, plus I like talking to people.

• I know what you mean, and I don't like it either , it's just like... empty babbling, they have nothing else to do.

• Here's an opinion for you never to reply to ;p

• i do literally comment on all the answers most of the time. because i´m genuinely interested to get in touch with the person. but i kind of dislike getting upvotes by askers. i know it gives me xper but it also bothers me to have notifications for nothing xD

• It shows care if someone comment on each asking. 2nd thing is everyone has something to say for every asking but they have their own eagerness to reply or insecurities not to... and also depends upon mood and interest as well. as you asked a genuine but a "useless" question. And I've a lot to reply and can write an essay on it... and even reply in two words like "well said"... Therefore it show my interest n mood.

• I hate it, just pointless

But most of them I've came across are mostly anonymous ahah :)

• Last time I saw something like this in 'Nam, I smoked it. (As in blew it up, not smoke it as a cigar! oh fuck nevermind)

• Ah fuck posted on the wrong question. This was supposed to go under the mushroom questions. Damn, had too many tabs open. Sorry.

• ME! *Raises hand*

I'm that one guy who replies to EVERYTHING and gives MHO 5 months later!

Yep! That's me!

• Yeah I understand you mean like 'right now you have the question boggling in your mind, but cannot find words to explain it.'
    At that time people don't have answer in mind just! Come to 💩 in opinion

• I do it to sometimes get the question back in the feed if it's not getting enough answers.

• I do it when i actually get positive answers for a change. it's not forced though i actually want to say thanks

• I know what you mean but it doesn't really bother me... Not doing it myself unless I see that they but some effort into their response, then I like thanking them again personally and not just upvote even if I don't really have anything to say

• I'll reply when the opinion is very helpful or when it invites to open an interesting dicussion :D

• heh... i dont really mind it

• I just answer to the ones that I guess interest me more

• It gets ma engine rough and wild actually if its from sumbooty like ma baby Diana herself 😳😳😳

• I'm sorry 😞

• Its just for show that they read the answer. i do it sometimes other i dont do it but show some respect for the people u lose their time answer. its awkard but its the way to show

• As long as they're being nice and thanking me for commenting I don't mind.
    It's not any weirder than how some askers always up vote EVERY answer 😉

• if it gets me more points I don't care

• I definitely prefer it to random up votes.

• You can't expect a paraphrase specially for ur question keeping in mind u ask a lot of questions

• I think they're trying to be polite. So I don't mind it. Not everyone is socially gifted.

• I get it but its nice to know the person took the time to have something to say. there's always something to say, every opinion is an opinion that deserves a response. Even if its just a thanks. Seems like your picking and choosing who to reponse to and probably more to do with who you like

• I wish more people would

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 22

• Ugh, I think I do this! :P The reason being is that people who take the time to answer my questions, well I really appreciate them!

• It's worth to point out that responding to someone makes your question appear higher in the feed. Other than that, I like people acknowledging the fact that I got in the trouble od answering their question, especially when it's an answer I spent time writing

• I'm not a fan of it because I think someone is genuinely interested in my opinion so I usually respond. And I'm the fool because that person just feels like commenting on everything.

Now, I'm ok with a "thanks" but the few words of pretend interest are annoying.

• I have to admit that I'm one of those people that tries to respond to everyone's comment. I appreciate them taking the time to look at my post (usually, minus those few trolls), so I figure the least I can do is respond back. However, there are some opinions I just do not know how to respond to and/or really do not have anything to say, so I'll leave those alone. Hopefully, I'm not bugging anyone with that.

• I know right o. o
    It's so annoying, they comment back with "oh, well thanks" or "ya"
    Like I get what your saying, but is it necessary to comment back?
    *comments back*
    bruh

• I would prefer them not to say anything if they have nothing to say. I don't see the point. I don't like it when they literally just say "thanks". I just got a notification for it damnit!

• I was one of those people before they started giving points away for up voting. It was just a way of acknowledging their comments even if it was just a thanks.

• I also try to do that, because it was nice of them to take the time to answer my question.

I admit sometimes I may not know exactly what to say, but I try to comment accordingly.

I guess it can turn out forced sometimes.

• I think the asker is just showing appreciation to those answering their question. Which is good. Everyone needs a little appreciation sometimes. Nothing wrong with that, at least they're being nice

• Unnecessary...
    -----------------------------

• I don't respond to all answers but I respond to some. I appreciate all (well most) answers so commenting is my way of letting them know that I've read their responses and they didn't take their time to respond for no reason.

Sometimes they can misinterpret your question so you kinda have to clarify for them.

• They acknowledge my presence. even the evil trolls and stupid people... do:P

• I do that sometimes but then sometimes I dont, really depends on the question and if I'm feeling lazy or not 😂

• i don't care

• Nothing really

• Eh, I really don't care if they do or don't

• Well I usually respond if I'm asking a serious question

• I think it's annoying.

• I think I've never reply to every single one. There is always one left XD

• What's wrong with that? I think its polite to respond to all answers.

• i used to think the same!!! until i asked a question and i would do exactly that comment with a thanks etc and having nothing particular to say. I realised i did it to say thanks for commenting and plus the internet can be a shitty place so when people are polite i think it is nice to be polite back, just to encourage manners :) but if the comment is weird, negative or extreme i dont say a thing...

• I am guilty of this sometimes. I usually thank them for their input. If the user didn't provide good feedback or anything beneficial to the question, I won't say anything lol. But the ones that actually give me answers, I feel bad for not thanking them. :x