When do British people/ English people eat dinner?

When is dinner time?

Most Helpful Girl

• Around 5 or 6 pm for me, but I call it tea :)

What Girls Said 4

• Not nearly as late as the French. Same time Americans do.

• Dinner as in an evening meal and not lunch, anywhere between 6 and 9.

• Depends on your household; in mine it's called supper and is usually around 7-8 but can be as late as 9

• Im not British and I see your answers.. Are you kidding me? 7 pm? This is

What Guys Said 9

• Okay, now here you've opened a can of worms. 'Cause over here dinner means different things to different people. "Dinner" to one person can mean "tea" to another or "lunch" to yet another. So you're going to have to specify what you personally define dinner as.
    Personally however I find that dinner is the third large meal of the day, and it can occur anywhere between 3pm and 6pm, but generally/ usually at 5pm.

• I always thought Brits called the noon meal dinner, and the evening meal supper. I say that because that's how my father used the words. He was not British born, but his parents were very British and I thought he picked it up from them. But then, that may have been 100+ year old British terms since that's when they emigrated.

• I eat my dinner whenever my girlfriend decides to opens her legs. Which is every night around 9pm. I'm not even joking btw!

But I guess you could say I have two dinners since I have my food dinner usually around 6-7pm. I would say that's about average. Then I have my 'fish supper' around 9pm, usually...

• Dinner is the largest meal of the day, usually in the evening at 6-7 oclock.
    But some regional variations have lead to many areas (especially regions which historically have a lot of industrialisation) thinking of dinner as the noon meal (otherwise known as lunch) and the evening meal being known as 'tea' (from 'afternoon tea' an often overlooked light meal time in the early afternoon).

• Dinner? Referring to the largest meal of the day?

Between 5-7 PM

• Don't they call it supper actually?

• No, not really. Supper would probably be a really late meal, after dinner/tea, and it's not a very big one, nor is it something that we often do. Only the really posh people will have supper :P (At least, that's my experience of it)

• As I eat dinner not tea I eat my dinner 20:00-20:30 hours but that fits in with my busy life.
    Tea is 17:00-19:00 and Dinner is 19:00 onwards.
    really depends what part you're from we all call it different things.

• It can be anywhere between 6pm and 7:30-ish for me :)

• About 6pm normally