How do you feel when you see some homeless man standing on the corner begging for money?

I've never given someone money. I just don't know if they're telling the truth. If you need money, why don't you stop standing on the corner for 9 hours and go get a job?

I do feel bad for them, nonetheless. That had to be so humiliating.

What do you guys think or feel?

Most Helpful Girl

• If he has two legs to stand/ walk / run.
    If he has two hands to beg for money / do something / hold his bag.
    if he has a mouth which speaks.
    if he has eyes which can see the world clearly.
    then why should I give him money? He better go working somewhere and live on him own hard work. I'm not being mean but it's not like I work hard for nothing.

If he was a sick or person who can't walk, see or move around then I'll help him everyday for sure.

• Live on his own *

Most Helpful Guy

• I once gave a homeless man $40 once, giving just makes me feel good. Nowadays, I don't use cash, just plastic. Everytime I see one at a stoplight asking for donation, I try not to make eye contact.

• I found $10 in my wallet, think I'll give it away today to someone in need.

What Girls Said 7

• See I used to feel bad but then my EMT professor told us a story. So she is also a cop and one day when she was on duty there was a usual group of people standing around begging for money, and it was commonly known that they live under 'the bridge' so she watched them walk under the bridge as she drove past and then on her way back saw a group of pretty well dressed men and women walking out from under the bridge. Unsurprisingly they were the same people that had been begging for money for food. She followed them and watched every single one walk into a house.

So while I would love to be able to help stories like that make helping others a 50/50 chance. And that is a scary chance.

• One time I did not have a very good experience with one of them. I was heading home from work and was in the parking lot when a a guy in his mid 20's called out to me and starting asking for cash. I told him I did not carry any and I didn't have any change either (I really didn't). He still followed me to my car and wouldn't stop asking.

• I don't give out money often, usually I share some food or drink but that is it

• I really think people should listen to what homeless people have to say. This homeless blogger changed my idea of what I thought being homeless meant. I actually read different perspectives and was eye opening. Sometimes people need to listen to the people they stereotype.

It's called guide2homelessness. blogspot. com

• I agree. I feel that a lot of those people just do that for east money. I guess they figure that they'll try hard to tug on people's heart strings that they'll cough up the cash. I personally try to ignore them and pay them no attention and plus I kind of need my own money lol!! Please answer mine :))

• I do the exact same and I completely agree! Especially about needing my own money part :)

• I used to give them money until I went to visit my aunt who lived in a shit neighborhood. I would see the same guys I saw begging with "veteran" and "God bless" signs just hanging around the street getting high in peoples lawns. I saw a guy the other day with a sign that said "Vietnam vet" on it and he looked no older than 40 -_-

• Sad. I will give money occasionally but I'm a student so I'm pretty broke :/

It's very hard to find a job if you can't give a permanent address, and can't guarantee you'll have somewhere to shower, shave etc. or dress smartly

What Guys Said 6

• I know I should not give money, but to think about how crappy their life is, its just really tempting. Hope I could "help"!

• I ignore them or think "Go look for a job rather than sit and beg". Worth more for your future.

• i feel bad.

• being homeless is a decision where i live. you don´t need to be homeless, if you don´t want to, since wellfare is pretty good. so i´m like what the hell dude. get your wellfare but stop bothering me.

• I especially get angry when I see homeless women because I know that there are a lot of programs available specifically for them (way more than there are for men) . If they don't want the help then they are making the decision to be homeless.

• i am the same, but i don't feel bad for them. most of them are faking and the rest made the choices that ended them on the street

• Most of them do it either because it's more profitable than a job or because they're mentally ill and can't hold down a steady job. I have been out of work before, and I didn't stand on a street corner all day begging. I got off my ass and pounded the pavement, looking for work until I found something.