Why do people still use Facebook?

I have a Facebook account, but I created it when facebook was opened up to the public and I was curious to see what the fuss was about. I was quickly overwhelmed by stupid requests for games and useless ads and all sorts of annoying things in addition to the fact that people are boring and I don't care about what they had for dinner or if they saw a show or whatnot. I am also very concerned that Facebook might know everything about me and recognizes my profile everywhere on the internet via their "share with" button. So I very quickly stopped using it.
I see Facebook like the weird uncle who wants his nieces to sit on his lap at family gatherings.
Knowing about the privacy issues and the very high noise/signal ratio, why do you still use it?

I forgot to talk about the fact that so many couples have divorced and so many people have been fired. Why do people keep posting stuff on there?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I don't know about most people, but for me... It's an easy way to keep in touch with friends/acquaintances and family all over the world. It's also a good way to re-connect with some people. Plus it helps me keep track of birthdays! I would never remember otherwise lol. In addition, almost everyone I know is on there, so it's the ideal platform to create and participate in events going on that I wouldn't hear about otherwise.

For an example of when it was useful, recently a high school friend of mine I hadn't spoken to in at least 4 years contacted me. He was studying far away at Duke, but now he's graduated and moved to the same area I'm at, so we're gonna meet and catch up. If I wasn't on Facebook, that would probably have never happened, because we got out of touch, my number's changed since then, and I have no idea if his is still the same.

I don't use Facebook that often, but it has its uses. I also never put up anything that I'm not comfortable having potential employers and other people see. And my setting are pretty customized. I don't get notifications I don't want, and my profile is as private as possible (which I realize may not be completely, but considering what's on there, I'm okay with that).

In my view, Facebook, like other social media, is just another tool for communication. If you can use it to suit your needs, great. If it's taking over someone's life or negatively impacting it, then it's either not being used correctly or just isn't the right medium of communication for them.

• The privacy is not only between you and your "friends". It's also between you and Facebook. There are no settings for that... Also, they keep changing the way the damn things works and you just end up having your private stuff publicly available suddenly without notification. I guess it's cool to be found like you say. But I would quickly use another way of communication. The sad part is that it feels more and more like it's required in today's world. And I refuse to comply just like I did for the cellphone (until I couldn't anymore) and like I did for smartphones (I still resist, got a 10yo feature phone)

• Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I'm not too worried about what I'm sharing with Facebook though. I assume I have no privacy there, so what I share is limited with that in mind. Plus, they have millions (billions?) of users, so in a sense I'm just another set of data points to them. It's not personal.

But yeah, no one should feel like it's required or like you have to use it. It's not for everyone. My brother's never had a Facebook account and probably never will, and he still has a large network of friends and family. It's just what works for you I suppose.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because I have connected with friends through it, and otherwise I would have no idea what my high school acquaintances are up to. I also use it to log in to various services, which helps everything be interconnected. I have nothing to hide on those services, so why not?

What sucks is I think there's some formula for the News Feed, where it only shows you a very limited number of people depending on whose statuses you Liked and commented on. Because I have 651 friends but I literally only see posts from about 5 people. I guess it's POSSIBLE that it's because those 5 people are the only ones who ever post, but I think that's unlikely.

What Girls Said 13

• I've had Facebook since 2006, back when I was in grade 11 and all my friends were making accounts, lol. I still have it, even after several hiatuses from FB. Now I use it more than I ever have before. Why? Here's some reasons:

1) I got right back into FB a few years ago when my relationship was long distance for 6 months. It was the best way for us with silly mundane shit that would be a waste of an email.

2) It's a great way for me to keep in touch with friends and family who live abroad in other countries, or even just other parts of Canada. I use email sometimes too, but I just find it's easier to reach large groups of people over FB.

3) I use it as a tool to help me meet and team up with local musicians through FB groups designed for that purpose.

4) Instead of paying money to run a website, I created secret groups for both my music tutoring and wedding performance businesses, where my students and clients can read my updates as well as talk to each other. I also have a public page which is where I acquire the majority of my clients now.

5) It's helped me to network with other student teachers, newly licensed teachers, and also the school boards. I've actually found out about job openings this way and got some interviews (sadly, no teaching job yet for this school year). While I do use LinkedIn, I don't like it and I find it's more suited to the corporate world.

6) I've recently reconnected with old childhood friends just by looking up their names, and they've found me the same way.

That's all I can think of for now. I never post anything on Facebook that would embarrass me, my family, or my friends, or compromise my career or my education, and I don't bash or badmouth my friends, employers, or potential employers. Anyone who thinks they can do those things and it'll all be secret because of their page settings are fucking fooling themselves.

• "Anyone who thinks they can do those things and it'll all be secret because of their page settings are fucking fooling themselves."

I totally agree. I mean, it's been 7-8 years now and some people still get bitten by Facebook's illusion of privacy

• i never have, or ever will have an fb account and I'm so proud of that lol.

• Haha ! I love your stubbornness ! It took me years before getting a cell phone. I am on my second cell phone and it's now 10yo lol. No smartphone for me yet. I am in no hurry. After 10 years, I can still use my cell without recharging for 3 days.

• ohhh yeah i remember them but we never had one in our house. my grandparents had them though and i used to play with them and call random numbers. that's about it.

• Hehe, I was lucky enough to experience it. Until the touchtone phones changed the world 😊
      You had to pay a premium at first. Lol

• To talk to my friends.

We have a group chat and it's more convinient for that since one of that doesn't have a phone yet.

• Ikr, the game request and shit is so flipping annoying. I usually block that app. I still use it bc I want to keep in contact with my friends from all over the world and of course long distance boyfriend. Sometimes I'm bored I just scroll over in the feed.

• Then there are those friends flooding you with inane status updates and hoaxes asking you to like stuff or someone will die of cancer and all that annoying stuff... Ugh...
      I guess it's nice to keep in touch yes, but I just can't get past the annoyances

• yep I feel ya. Maybe u can block whatever apps they're sending u and shit. or block the their posts.

• I just like to keep in touch with friends and family who I don't get to see often or who live far away.

• I find that emails works pretty well for that. Plus, you don't have tons of annoying stuff on the screen and games and apps begging for your attention. It's nice you found a use for it though.

• They must make enough money with your private information ;-)

• I don't know anyone with the mobile app that gets ads...

• You are right, it's absolutely stupid, people know a lot information about you because of your activity. That is why I stay the hell away from it.

• Yes. A lot of people don't realize that they are speaking in front of an audience of millions of people and think they are having private conversations with someone else. Sooooo many have been fired or divorced these last years. Did you know that facebook conversations are used as evidence in most divorce nowadays?

• I am not saying it's facebook's fault though. Just that people still haven't figured out that they are broadcasting private information.

• I am not surprised that they are. Since some people use it to rant about their work place and get fired for it.

• It's pretty useful for creeping on people.

• I created it back in 2005? 6? I don't even remember. It was that long ago and I've stopped using it.

• Were you at the university then? It was opened to the wider public in 2007 if I remember well.

• Yeah I was in freshman year of college when I joined. It wasn't that big then but people were still on it.

• For school work. All my profs make fb groups and post all the assignments and take home quizzes there

• Yeah... I am not super comfortable with teachers forcing their students to use a specific products. It's like when they used to force people to use Office when there are free and open source solutions that are just as good out there. That's a whole other story though.

• ya people who didn't talk to me at school would add me and request stuff for games... i came back to fb recently and it seems to have changed.

I remade one to keep in contact with family and college friends/acquaintences

• It really makes you feel appreciated when you get added by people who never spoke to you huh? hehehe
      It's like they just want to boost their number of friends to look better

• I have had my account since 2007 and I still use it. Make your settings private and you have nothing to worry about. It's the Internet. Your not safe on this website or any website to be honest. How is Facebook any
    Different?

• "Make your settings private and you have nothing to worry about"
      That makes your stuff private, but only for your "friends". Facebook itself gets to see everything.
      Plus, they keep changing the layout and the rules for privacy. You can end up having your stuff that was previously private suddenly made public without knowing.
      Anyway. Since I was not to put anything on there and wasn't the least interested to what people were saying, I just stopped using it and now it's rotting.

• Never used it its just like another website and some people just have it to look cool.

• "some people just have it to look cool."
      Hehehe yeah, I agree. It's a vanity thing like Twitter.

• I don't know but I don't even use Facebook, too much drama

What Guys Said 4

• i still have a facebook account, but its in my opinion just place where horny guys jerk to pictures of the sluts that show thier nieuw ring, just below her massive cleavage

and there is that one inbetween group who does it to keep in touch with friends, but my account has been left to die
    I could remove it, but i still use it sometimes to use the chat function :p

• I don't get that. It seems to me like there are better sites to watch cleavage and more...
      Why stalk ladies on facebook? What do they get from it?

• hat is a question that riddles me too, perhaps they prever the tease over the actaull nudity

• I don't post on Facebook. I only use it to chat with friends because everyone has it and it's good for birthdays but that's it. I don't even have a photo of me in it

• Its mainly cheap $2 hood rats and trailer trash who use it.

• Really? I think most of the world population has a Facebook account. The 2 dollar hood rats and trailer trash can't afford to have a Facebook account

• @kris85 they go to their local public library to log onto facebook or they when they go over their boyfriend or gf's house lol
      yes most of world population does have one but it doesn't mean they go on it a lot its mainly the the hood rats and trailer trash who are mainly active on it. Here in the U. S. hood rats are a real problem and the only place you would see little of them are in the so called red states like in the south

• This guy likes to troll, don't pay attention to him

• Because it's cool?

• Well, I get what you are saying, but to me it sounds like people smoking "because it's cool". I don't really care how cool it is when it's obviously bad for you...

• What a bunch of haters, they know they liked it, and just stopped using it

• Well, I personally don't like it at all and the fact that there is a facebook "share with" button on every damn website, spying on me is quite frustrating. It's ok that you like it though.