How expensive is food in Swirzeland?

I am hindi girl who wants to move their.. but how expensive is food? Is it too expensive? because I really want to live in one of the wealthiest country in the world and go to Europe...

Most Helpful Guy

• I come from Switzerland and I can tell you: it's very expensive here. In fact, Switzerland was declared the most expensive country in the world by a 2015 research (in the previous years, it has been number two, topped by Norway). Food is considerably more expensive than in almost all other European countries (except Scandinavia), which is many Swiss people go shopping in Germany. German people often complain how expensive everything in their country is but for us it's super cheap ;-). Also, you should know that grocery shopping is only one thing of many. In fact, compared to what people earn, grocery shopping is very cheap compared to other countries in the world. We have the luxury that we get very good products (mostly organic) for relatively little money. Many other things on the other hand are extremely expensive, even for Swiss people. For example in Switzerland it is not possible to just go to a restaurant to have a quick lunch. I mean, of course you can do that from time to time but you can't do it on a regular basis. Eating out or also stuff like bars, cafés and night clubs are very, very expensive. You EASILY pay 60-70 USD just for yourself when you have a dinner with your friends at a restaurant. When I go on a dinner-and-movie date with my girlfriend, we usually spend around 200-220 USD for the two of us.
    Also, things like rents and public transport tickets are very expensive too. Just about everything is expensive ;-) (except University).

Also, you should know that it is extremely difficult for non-EU citizens to settle down in Switzerland. It's almost impossible. You need to either have a job offer here, apply to a Swiss university as a student and be accepted, be accepted as somebody seeking political asylum or marry a Swiss person. These are the only four possibilities you can even settle down here. I know this because my girlfriend comes from South Korea and it was very difficult to find a way for us to live together in Switzerland.

• Yes I see what you are saying with the food. I just live in an expensive city so this is normal to be I guess. My boyfriend and I spend about $300 or so on a night out between drinks and tickets and food.

You are having troubles getting your girlfriend to come there even if you marry her? Which canton are you in if you don't mind me asking? You can private message me I'm just curious.

• makes sense to also say "septante and huitante and nonante". And I mean... in the end this is also what makes languages different from stuff like math and in my opinion exciting: some stuff just doesn't make sense. In Korean, they have two different counting systems for example. The numbers from one are originally taken from Chinese and the others are original, archaic Korean words. Now, does it make sense to have two completely different words for every number? Not really. Is it annoying to learn? You bet it is :-). But it's also quite fun in a way... it makes the language for diverse I guess.

• Oh yes quite impractical indeed. Native French speakers would ask me when I still had a strong accent how one says 96. It's quite the mouthful. My mother's native tongue is French but she's been speaking English for so long even she has forgotten it. she married an Irishman so she really hasn't spoken French regularly since she was 19. I speak it better than she does now or at least I did when I was a flight attendant. That was over 10 years ago. But when I'm around it it comes back. I'm shy speaking it now for fear of mistakes in grammar.

Most Helpful Girl

• www.auswandern-handbuch.de/.../...ttel-schweiz.png

Let me translate this for you..
    1) milk (1l)
    2) loaf of bread (500g)
    3) rice (1kg)
    4) 12 eggs
    5) cheese (1kg)
    6) chicken breast (1kg)
    7) Apple (1kg)
    8) oranges (1kg)
    9) tomatoes (1kg)
    10) potatoes (1kg)
    11) lettuce
    12) water (1.5l)
    13) bottle of wine
    14) 0.5l beer
    15) 0.33l imported beer
    16) Marlboro cigarettes

The left column shows the price in Switzerland and the right column shows the price in Germany.

The prices are in Euro though.
    1€ equals 1.08 CHF.

Hope this helped a bit ! :)

• thanks so much, dear friend. . . Its really expensive wow

• I guess the USA will just follow along with rest of Europe eventually since it's a much younger country, everything just keeps going up. One day I'd like to visit where you are, I did visit England and France many years ago

• @Lissy967: Believe it or not, wee actually do not have a minimum wage in Switzerland! (Not in the nationally enforced sense that other countries such as Germany or America do). In Switzerland, every sector of the economy tries to find an individual agreement with employers' umbrella organizations such as economiesuisse through "Gesamtarbeitsverträge" (a concept that doesn't exist in other countries). Quite recently (3 or 4 years ago), left parties and workers' unions put a nationwide initiative for a minimum wage on the ballot but the Swiss people rejected it (for reasons I will never understand).
      However, you are still somewhat right when you say that the high prices are related to the employees' working situation. Generally speaking, employees in Switzerland have a very good working situation we a lot of rights and securities. This is not the case in most other European nations and especially not in the Anglo-American world where you can just get kicked out of your job at any time.

What Guys Said 1

• About the most expensive country I've ever visited. When comparing the wealth of various countries you should look at the Purchasing Power Parity (PPV). In many European countries the people have high incomes but the cost of living is also high cancelling out or even reversing any benefit to the consumer.

What Girls Said 2

• How are you going to support yourself? It is t part of the EU and it is really hard to get a workers visa, they don't take asylum seekers.

The food is reasonably the same price as the rest of Europe not co suffering the exchange rate however the Swiss Franc was devaluing itself to stay in line with the Euro which has been sinking. Early this year Switzerland finally said F it and quit devaluing their currency to synch with the Euro because the Euro is just doing too poorly. So now their currency is much stronger making it expense to live there. The currency shot up by 17% in value in one day.

• Little correction: we do take asylum seekers, just not so many. But taking the population density and the current rate of foreigners into consideration (Switzerland is much denser populated than most other European nations and it has the second highest rate of foreigners in Europe, only topped by the micro-state Luxembourg), I think that is somewhat understandable.
      Also, our food is more expensive than in most other European countries (with the exception of Scandinavian countries). Many Swiss people take a little ride across the border to Germany or France on the weekends to buy cheap food.

• I'll agree with you on the food but stand by my statement on asylum. Yes obviously you don't take absolutely none but it is extremely difficult to be granted asylum in Switzerland. You do have asylum seekers that stay there for years whilst awaiting a decision but not many are granted.

Your foreigners are mostly from other parts of Europe. Citizenship is decided by the Cantons with each Canton having drastically different criteria. A woman married to a Swiss man never has to step foot in your country to gain citizenship in many cantons. In others it is a popularity contest (the smaller ones). I have a masters in Western European politics and spent a good time studying your wonderful country.

I'm not meaning to speak ill of Switzerland at all. It truly is one of my top 3 favorite countries to spend time in out of 30 or more countries. I am very impressed by many parts of your government and neutrality. I invest money there because the currency is so stable.

• Switzerland can be quite pricey. My family use to vacation there, and it is really beautiful. But yeah... you will definitely need to have a decent budget if you plan on staying there for some time.