Why is it forbidden for college students to date professors?

I know some peope sleep with them for grades, but the solution to not being able to separate this from genuine relationships shouldn't be banning them all. They're all adults.

The old cow who doesn't leave my question: No comment. You're not worth it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know if it's actually forbidden or not. However, any time you have a potential conflict of interest it can raise ethical questions. A professor who is dating or in a relationship with a student can raise grades higher than they should be. It doesn't necessarily mean the prof is corrupt or unethical. It's just human nature. If you care about someone at a personal level, it will influence you whether you want it too or not.

Grades at lower levels of education are not as important. But with grades at university, it requires a high level of integrity. Those grades are an official record of your academic performance. The reputation of an academic institution is something they place very high value on. They'll frown on anything that tarnishes their reputation. If a professor is messing around with a student, too many questions are raised. So it's better to just avoid it altogether.

Most Helpful Girl

• Just like dating co-workers is sometimes frowned upon or forbidden.

DON'T SHIT WHERE YOU EAT.

What Guys Said 6

• No, they are not all adults. There are many people below the age of 18 attending college.

Do you have a suggestion that solves the problem without imposing an absolute ban?

• Well, I'm talking for those over 18 then. In my country you go to college after 18

• Then you are either too inexperienced to understand, or you are just a troll.

• Have fun with your fase assumptions. Pathetic.

• I didn't know it was forbidden, they're all consenting adults.

• It creates favoritism, plus what if the student breaks up with the Professor then the professor might want revenge. It is the same with inter-office romances.

• ok ill have a go at this
    it is considerd morally wrong
    its a breach of professional conduct
    it will cause complications in the class room
    may cause the proffesor to give the "loved" partner certian advantages

• It's an image thing, the college hired him or her to be a professional, that means just teach. If they do somethin like fuck a student for better grades, it tarnishes the schools image, and sometimes gets the cops involved (barring it's rape or something). It's just inappropriate

• @Asker You block me and then call me pathetic? Peace out!

• Lots of question askers, tend to well, not like certain answers, so, they'll block people so that you can't reply. It's pretty dumb, sorry you had to deal with that @olderandwiser. It's just one of those things you experience on here, it's free, after all

• It amuses me how you judge things so quickly without really thinking about it. Comment all you want, it won't raise your IQ. You're a simple old man. You can't even understand I block you because I don't want to deal with creatures like you, along with your little friend here. Anyway, you don't have much time left. Hope you didn't get to reproduce.

• It's very loosely enforced, if at all. I dated an assistant professor in college, but she was very young looking, at least at a glance, so maybe nobody noticed.

What Girls Said 2

• I sometimes think this seeing as college students are adults and it's just not as strict as it is in school. My college tutor is actually dating a previous student though so it does happen. I think if there's not a massive age gap and the student is 18+, it should be okay outside of college. But I guess it could influence their grades and then it'll cause disputes.

• -could create favoritism
    -could cause the professor to change the students grade unfairly
    -if they break up it could bring problems to class
    -it is unprofessional
    -could breed a blackmail scenario