Is the North Pole an island?

When I searched it up all I saw was a bunch of ice snd stuff. Is it like an island or just a bunch of ice?

Most Helpful Guy

• Contrary to the Antarctic ("South Pole"), which is not just an island but in fact one of the largest continents on earth, the Arctic ("North Pole") doesn't have any actual landmass. So as you said, it's just a bunch of ice. At some points, these sheets of ice are several meters (20-30 ft) thick, on other spots they're as thin as paper. At some points, there is no ice at all and in fact, countless small and big water channels criss-cross through the ice. This made the exploration of the Arctic for early 20th century adventurers an extremely difficult and dangerous challenge. Even today, the Arctic still poses many risks to explorers. There is for example a guy from my country who attempted it twice to cross the whole Arctic region completely on his, just with a big sled on which he packed food and other things he needed. He had to go through several years of preparation to be ready for this both physically, mentally and emotionally. When he got there, he had to pull his sled over all that uneven ice and sometimes he had to swim through the ice cold water and pull his sled after him in the water. The first time he tried this adventure, he had to give up because it was too tough on him physically. The second time he tried it, he almost died because he slept on a part of the ice that broke off during a thunderstorm in the night and drifted off into the open ocean. It was only by coincidence that he was saved. After these two failed attempts, he decided to leave it at that and not try it anymore. So you see how rough and wild nature up there still is today. Unfortunately, the nordic ice sheets get less every year.

What Guys Said 7

• all ice. no landmass

• Top Gear drove there with three vehicles, and it's entirely floating ice.

Here they are standing at the pole.

farm2.staticflickr.com/.../...937_6b00004fde_b.jpg

You can watch the Top Gear Polar Special to see how they got there and what it looked like.

• Interesting question , I don't think it's considered an island but there is a landmass under all that ice and snow

• Actually I misunderstood it's just ocean underneath the middle but further down they want to tap for a while in the ground under the ocean

• Oil I mean since there are huge reserves of it supposedly

• Only Antarctica has land under it actually , I had it in reverse order, I mixed that up sometime with which one has the penguins on it also

• if you are talking the magnetic north pole, there is no visible marker. but my guess is you are talking about Santa, he and his workshop on the north pole doesn't exist

• No, its smack dab in the arctic ocean.

• the north "pole" is all ice. The south "pole" is a continent though.

• Isn't Antarctica ice?

• @Dave20153 K your either messing with me or need to use Google.

• Just sayin'

• I believe, and I could be wrong, that only tropical places can be considered islands, are you sure you weren't looking at Greenland (the country made of ice)

What Girls Said 0