How do you plan for natural disasters?

What are some of the possible hazards where you live? Earthquake, fire, flood, hurricane, tornado… whatever. Do you actually have a plan in place? If so what? I am looking to swap ideas with likeminded people.

Most Helpful Girl

• Earthquake prone areas plan with proper expensive construction of dwelling. For hurricanes people need to start building cement homes like they do in Puerto Rico and Seawalls.

Fire is the same thing joisted masonry outter walls and you must duplicate important documents and store them at two different locations.

Flooding isn't a surprise. At least not in the U. S. You know if you live on a flood plane so my answer is- don't. Flood is going to become a bigger and bigger problem with climate change. We can't keep rebuilding the New Jersey sea past every couple of years. Central Texas is prone to flooding along its river banks. The fed needs to step in and say we aren't funding this anymore with FEMA and we need to remove these areas as not suitable for residential. Flooding is the biggest killer and money waster.

As for tornadoes it baffles me that people in tornado alley don't have shelters below ground. I'm not saying every house has to but there should be community fall out shelters certainly schools should have them. The stories from Joplin really broke my heart and I'm surprised more action hasn't been taken nationally in the U. S.

People who do have underground storm shelter aren't safe always. An elderly couple with a 13" thick cement ceiling on their basement with a safe room had their pick up thrown into the basement by a twister that luckily landed on their pool table and not them. Twisters are getting stronger and more common so states in wind prone areas need to get on top of planning for them if we don't wish to see a whole city and thousands of people wiped out. I personally would never live where twisters are common or flooding. Those are the things my nightmares are made of.

• Looks like you have thought about this before.

Flash flooding can still be a surprise in some places in the US about a month ago we had two hikers stuck out during one not far from her. Only one of them made it out. But yeah most residential arias are not built in places where that is likely to happen.

Earthquakes are my biggest threat in California and we have major freeways built right on top of liquefaction zones.

• I don’t really like the term prepper because it is usually associated with crazy “the end of the world is nigh” type people but I guess it could be appropriate here. I think it is more of my Boy Scout mentality of trying to be prepared. Shit happens, every day. And if I can if I can take a few simple steps now it may help out in the long run.

Earthquakes and forest fires I figure are the most likely disasters here. Fires are seasonal and I think we have done all we really can to prepare for that short of building an external fire sprinkler system on the house. Like you said earthquakes are pretty unpredictable. I guess worst case scenario short of some doomsday type thing would be having the only two paved roads out of here down at the same time. In the past we have had both of them out for a while just never at the same time. But like you said, getting out of here has got to be a priority. I am in pretty good shape and I do recreational backpacking so I guess I could just hoof it.

• For earthquakes I would want to have one sound passage/ doorway our family could stand in and have it inspected by an engineer. For fires I would most importantly want my irreplacable family photos all in one quick grab place or backed up elsewhere. I know these days most photos are digital but the ones of people who have passed on aren't so you need to be able to grab them quickly. This is the one thing you can't replace and will have heartache over. Then just keep an emergency kit of dry or canned food, water, blanket, battery and ax or what not in your trunk.

In Atlanta during the winter of 2013 when all those people were trapped in their cars by ice on the freeway that is what they needed. I make sure if I am trapped on the road somewhere I have resources in my trunk to see me through the night. I usually have a couple of gallons of water, a battery for jumping cars that can also be used to charge devices, canned meals, a blanket during the winter, and whatever other items I feel I can't live without that season plus a spare set of clothes. I'm not a prepper that is just being realistic. I've been stuck before in the middle of no where. And we've had bad weather where I live. If my cell doesn't work on SOL in some cases.

Most Helpful Guy

• I ave been through the big ones in Miami

• My house is so solid nothing can hurt it. Yes we had home owners Insurance and they took care of everything.

• Thanks for MH

What Girls Said 2

• I always get food , candles and matches maybe a torch light.

• I had to evacuate my house for a wildfire once. I had to grab all of our important documents and any other mementos I could fit in my car (photos, home movies, antiques, etc.) and go stay at my bf's house for a week. 30% of the houses in my neighborhood burned down and it was pretty devastating.

• I know how that is, I have had to evacuate for fires three times now. Lot of houses gone, one of my best friends lost her house. In 2007 we were gone for a month and when we finally got home we found burnt chunks of bark in the back yard the size of my hand, but the house itself was okay.

What Guys Said 2

• the only natural disaster that im actually looking forward to the planning for is a zombie apocalypse.

• I don’t think anyone really looks forward to a disaster. Anyone hopping for a zombie apocalypse probably has not spent much time really thinking about it… or they are just sadistic.

• for me, probably the latter lol

• In England the only natural disaster is that the corner shop runs out of tea... Or if the bus is late.