Instagram is making me depressed?

I know the easiest thing that I could do is to delete it but instagram is what everyone uses. Before I didn't have one and I felt lost and confused since everyone else was connected on there. I finally got one and ended up getting 23 followers from following people. What makes me sad is the fact that your follower ratio and amount of followers and likes kinda determines your popularness in the real world and online (how much people like you). At first I didn't care and I didn't use instagram a lot anyway but now I do after realizing a few things and getting certain comments. One thing that happend is that my friend that I grew up with unfollowed me on everything because I wasn't as popular as her (i guess I ruined her image?) another thing is that my crush didn't follow me back even though I would talk to him on kik and he followed strangers (but those were mostly hot teenagers). When I finally commented on one of his pictures he chose that moment to embaress me (I felt so inferior then and still do now and I kept over thinking that to the point where I cried in school today). My friend also noticed the amount of followers that I had and said "you think you're so cool but you only have 23 followers when I have 10,000" she meant that in a teasing way though but it still stung. I'm also not that popular in school and sometimes I'm by myself or sit at lunch by myself. I only have 6 people that I can call a friend at this school, but they all have other friends that they talk to more then me, I'm usually that person that is awkwardly standi ng near a group of people since I'm not friends with anyone but one person (who didn't introduce me btw). I also have so much time on my hands that it saddens me (as in no one wanting to hang out). At my old school I had really close friends but I moved and one of them thinks that she's too popular for us. I overthinked all of this during the day and it made me realize how lame I was.

• You should delete your instagram
  • Keep your instagram and toughen it out

Most Helpful Guy

• "makes me sad is the fact that your follower ratio and amount of followers and likes kinda determines your popularness in the real world "

That might be the case in high school, but the rest of the world doesn't give two shits how many people follow you on Instagram.

Most Helpful Girl

• I use Instagram and a lot of my friends use Instagram... but i'm 22 and just graduated college. yeah, Instagram is very popular with our generation but high schoolers use it differently than college students & young adults. When you're older, no one cares. You post if you feel like it & if you have something to post about. You do whatever makes you happy.

you are taking it too seriously (bc your friends/peers are taking it too seriously). If it isn't Instagram, its Twitter or Facebook or your relationship status or whether you have a certain brand shoe or whatever. high schoolers care way too much about popularity and will use whatever they can to put others down.

What Guys Said 11

• omgee the people with a million followers are the real losers cause that's what their life revolves around.

don't worry about it :P

• Fuck instagram. Fuck it right in the ear. I don't care about it and look at me, I'm having a right laugh. You should try not giving a toss about instagram. Why stop there? Go ahead and delete your facebook too. I've never had it- and I'm the hoopiest frood I know!

In all seriousness- if it's making you unhappy just get rid of it. You'll find that you have extra time for it. Simple as that. :)

• Thats what social media does, it makes everyone feel insecure
    people only show their best face on these platforms, i think you should delete it...
    just focus on yourself, and fuck social media

• In like 4-5 years, none of this shit will matter. I'm not kidding. Everything that makes one "cool" and "popular" will mean jack shit in the real world. Don't let their pettyness get to you.

• *"cool" and "popular" in high school

• I think that's more of a generation difference than just me being in high school. there's plenty of college students and adults who use it as well. This is just going to drag into college.

• Keep it, and by the time you get into college, you will meet many different people and make many friends and your popularity will boost. But by then, popularity won't mean anything. I'm in college and I'm still unpopular, but I am having a blast because of the amazing people here and how they are so similar to me

• Stop trying so hard to fit in no one likes a poser your novel is too long and boring to read

• Ya I deleted mine a long time ago, it's annoying and very loud social media environment

• Its pointless and just causes drama. This way, you will appear mysterious, specially when you get to college.

• Social media is dumb as fuck and has no bearing on reality. Getting a ton of followers doesn't mean anything. If they're so proud, they can put it on their resume and see where it gets them.

• I think the internet makes people depressed, not just Instagram.

• Delete it. Social media can make people feel shitty about themselves. It's been proven in studies.

What Girls Said 6

• Instagram is a toxic environment. They'll let nearly naked teenage girls covered in blood and scars post but take down mothers breastfeeding. Not a good community and not a good mindset.

Get off of instagram and find something that makes YOU happy. Join some clubs, try new things, just get away from such a ridiculous mindset.

• 1. You take instagram too seriously
    2. Your "friends" and peers take instagram too seriously
    3. Nobody should care so much about social media that it causes them this much pain and frustration/sadness/anxiety
    4. Your "friends" are shit
    5. Delete your instagram, not worth the trouble.

Followers don't mean shit in real life.

• If you're becoming depressed then you should delete. You're not mature enough for social media if you're value as a person is determined by followers and likes.

• Delete it then?

• You should delete your instagram

• Pretty much what Xelebrum said. It's weird, but after a few years and you branch out of school, you'll see the world differently. Things won't matter, but new things will matter to you. If you are upset with something, it would be best to get what is causing negative emotions out of sight and out of mind.