Is it illegal to create a fake Facebook profile?

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's against the terms of use, then technically it's illegal. That's because you agree to the terms of use when you join. It's a legally binding contract.

Is it illegal outside the TOU? Probably not, unless you use it in some kind of deceptive way that's illegal. In that case it wouldn't be the fake account itself that's illegal, but the way it's used.

What Guys Said 10

• No, Facebook came out with a statement asking for law enforcement to stop making fake accounts to try to investigate possible criminals actually LOL

It's against their terms of use, so the maximum recourse they have against you is.. to delete your account.

• Not at all, a lot of people do it to have a professional one and another one where you can have all your crazy friends. After all, many companies will look at your Facebook to determine if your a good candidate for the job..

• illegal? no
    but it might be against facebooks terms of use

• If that's illegal, I have serious worries about what's next.

• No but I think it's against their terms and conditions.

• No it isn't... there are literally thousands of fake profiles on Fb

• ... if you're impersonating someone real and defaming their character, yes it is...

but a made up person so you can comment on a website? not a problem.

• Why would you think that? It may violate the Facebook terms of use, and there may be some civil penalties, at least hypothetically, but I am unaware of any criminal law which would be violated by creating a fake FB profile.

• Lol, no, I have two of those.

• No
    No
    No
    No
    No

What Girls Said 7

• You won't get into legal trouble for it, I don't think. When i was like 15 I made one just to reward myself on my actual account, and I think it's still there. If you're using it to pretend to be someone who is real, then you might have problems, but if you aren't impersonating anyone or using it to do something bad (bullying, for example), it should be fine. A few of my friends have second accounts under a fake name just for their REALLY close friends.

• Not a real person, someone fake, but was trying to friend someone to see some dirt on their profile. Didn't friend the fake person, and now a few days later for some reason blocked it, haha. Just wanted to make sure I won't get in some kind of trouble! I didn't do anything but wanted to make sure it wasn't, like, harassment or something.

• If the account was blocked, I think that's the extent of what they'll do. If all you did was friend the person, you didn't really do anything illegal as far as I'm aware.

• No, it's not. It goes against their rules, that's for sure. If it was illegal, then a lot of people would be arrested now.

• No but you will get made fun of. Why?
    internetfitpro.com/.../fakebook1.jpg

• i think so.. but everyone does it. no worries..

• I don't think so

• no i dont think that's against the law

• I think so. I think fb likes to delete them