Why are men funnier than women?

I have no doubts they are funnier than us, I wanna know why!

I'm not sexist guys lol
I know there are funny women in the world, but let's be honest, it's more common to know a guy who's funny than a girl who's funny.

Most Helpful Guy

• In my personal, humble opinion, women are simply wayyyy too serious (this is not in all instances a negative thing but it's a very bad thing if you want to be humorous). They're too serious about life, too serious about the world... and most importantly, way too serious about themselves. Yes, girls are able to giggle about some stuff together with their girlfriends but they're practically incapable of being self-ironic. Though I'm not exactly a stereotypical guy, this is something I really love about guys. Men don't take themselves too serious. The older we guys get, we realize and acknowledge that most of us remain silly little boys at heart. Women think this is terrible and immature and maybe they're right but exactly this sternness, this constant attempt and need to be mature and serious about stuff and NOT CHILDISH is also what prevents them from being funny. Also, women are much more sensitive when it comes to personal criticism I think. They would never come on the idea of making fun of themselves. For example my mom gets pissed and hurt when anyone says something critical about her looks or her age but my dad constantly makes jokes about getting older and fatter (and he's actually still in a very good shape). Or an other example: when I am together with my best guy friend and one of us farts loudly on accident, we start laughing. I know it's childish and silly but I think it's also cool that we don't take ourselves so serious. We would say something like "wow, I didn't know I can produce such disgusting gases". Most girls I know would NEVER say this. They would be all concerned about how the rest of the world will think of them. Guys often just don't care too much. We assume that we'll be liked by girls despite of our childishness and that is indeed the case. Girls like us (as I believe) for the easy-goingness that many of them maybe don't have. When I make silly, corny compliment-jokes to my girlfriend, I don't even expect her to laugh. I know it's a stupid joke but I still think it's funny enough to say it. In most cases, she involuntarily laughs about them and later says "oh man, I shouldn't have laughed!". Girls would make these jokes because they're too worried about the jokes being stupid and immature etc.. So... in a nutshell I would say that I really love girls but they can be rather stuck-up in this. Women have yet to learn what self-irony is and that not everything in life has to be dead-serious.

Most Helpful Girl

• i read somewhere one day that it's because, guys chase girls, traditionally, and they use humor usually. Plus i guess we girls tend to have more empathy, so for example if someone falls, guys tend to see the funny side and we girls tend to care about the people, we tend to see his/her feelings, we're more maternal.

What Guys Said 35

• Cause most girls don't need to pick up girls.

• The main part of this is being able to take a joke.

But also, depending on the guys you are around, a lot of us talk to each other like it is "The Roast", so we get used to saying and hearing things that, around girls, are very much crossing the line. Because as a guy, you don't get to "be offended." You can either take it or you can't.

So you end up feeling a little more free in what you can or can't say, and it's the stuff on the edges that is often the most humorous.

Also, I feel like guys tend to view social interaction as more of an outsider, so we poke fun at unusual traditions. I think that's also why some of the funniest girls make lots of jokes about guys. Because it probably isn't hard to point out things that we do that are completely nonsensical.

• And there is also centuries of your voice being shut out. That too.

• I guess it's because it's not "classy" or "ladylike" to talk about the stuff that is funny. Humor is based in what's ridicule, dirty stuff, offensive... that's not the type of behavior girls are taught.

I'm not saying if it's wrong or right to raise girls this way, but that's why girls don't tend to be funnier than guys.

• Omg, I didn't mean to downvote lol sorry

Yeah, that's possibly true. That's a valid point

• I don't know, cause we are the hunters, we have it in our DNA how to get close and achieve our prey, I am normal at home, but when around girls I don't know, I cannot be normal I am always the clown... They tease and have fun with, and I tease them back, it's natural instincts taking over me, and it gets typical on the days they are bleeding they are all moody

• Men are usually better with abstract craziness and random thoughts. Female comics usually have to explain everything that leads up to the joke in detail. Kinda like they're talking to another girl.

• Have you ever read some of the posts by the anonymous female users here? They are hilarious and provoking. They're great.

And I'm not sure why people think you are sexist against women. I mean, you are definitely sexist against men, but not against women!

• ME? SEXIST AGAINST MEN? WHAT? XDDD

I'm a feminist WHO BELIEVES IN EQUALITY. I'm not sexist at all. I just love dark humor.

• We've been through this before, you have many posts that are sexist against men. Just pointing that out, I don't expect you to admit it or change how you think.

• example please

• I think that Y chromosome has a sense of humor

• My guess would be to do with the fact women are more easily hurt and emotional than guys are. This meaning guys are more likely to laugh at themselves than women are.

• Honestly... I think you are generally right (but there exist many funny women of course too) but I have no fucking clue why that is the case

• simple. men are logical and rational

in order for comedy to work, it has to be somewhat true.

women live in an alternate reality and have a hard time connecting truth with comedy.

• Someone wrote an article about this a few years back and got blasted for writing exactly what you wrote. His conclusion was that men are funny to get girls, and that girls aren't funny because they don't have to be. This is also why 90% of the funny women are dykes, i. e. the women who are the pursuers in lesbian relationships. Humor, after all, is a skill, and it's only learned over time with lots of practice. Hot girls have zero reason to be funny. They get all their needs met just by existing.

• Makes sense, I'm funny because I'm bi XD

• LOL I admire her because she chases girls just like the guys and knows how hard it is. She lifts weights for the same reason the guys do--to build that confidence so she has the balls to put herself out there. Same goes for humor.

• You need to introduce me!!! XD

• Perhaps because we're more idiot :P

And before I start getting downvotes, it was just a [bad] joke.

• Maybe because we are more simple.. think less and more relaxed.
    I might be wrong because I really don't know the reason

• Because boys know that girls love jokes. Make a girl smile or laugh is our duty to bring happiness to all of girls on the world.

• No doubts? You're biased.

• Eh, I seriously doubt that's true. Many guys aren't that funny, and there are plenty of funny women. For instance, I think comedian Iliza Slesinger is hilarious, and actress Kaitlin Olsen (of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia) has perfect comedic timing.

It's not the gender that makes someone funny, some people just got it, and others don't.

• @Gommers Ah, but you see I don't think he's funny, so now we're getting into personal preference. And from there it just turns into a "whose preference is better" argument, which I never see the point of arguing since it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Though if you do have some recommendations for female comedians you find funny I'd be more than happy to give them a look. Feel free to message them to me so we don't continue to fill poor Amy's inbox with "you've got comments" about a conversation that she's not even a part of.

• I'm talking about formulaic comedy, I'm not a big fan of Louis CK either but he's definitely not formulaic and following in the path of another successful comic somewhere before himself.

• I don't think so. I think everyone is capable of humor. For example, you're one funny person.

• Because it's an evolutionary trait that women had no need to evolve with. There's a TED talk about it.

• Why did you start a fight wih everyone? Lol

• Because there is documented evidence that answers your question; there has been a TED talk on the subject. Everyone here is trying to present feelings as facts and that's fucking bullshit.

• Because we don't care if we're gonna offend someone, and we take life less seriously.

• We are were made that way my dear

• Because women tend to take things way too seriously.

• That's not the problem, it's just a side effect of it.

• Because we are overgrown children that like toys, we just like heavy toys when we get older like tools and guns! XD Also we don't take things to heart

• It's because every healthy man still has a little boy inside them. On the other hand when women grow up they often forget about their inner child.

• because basically, we are still kids and we are not affraid to let it out sometimes.

• not even close

• No, you're just wrong and I hate it when people speak in absolutes and provide incorrect information.

• well if you hate something then keep your hate to you instead of spreading it. i´m not saying "every fucking guy including you"...

• We are more creative. ;)

• We remain kids, forever.
    We be adults when time demands it !.. SOME of us!
    😅

• Men are encouraged to be funny more.

Men are given more slack when young to be off color or irreverent.

Men's social status is more impacted by being funny, so they've tried it for longer.

Male socialization is primarily groups, and they practice speaking in groups more than women, whose primary socialization is in paired relationships (we're BFF, starting when age 6).

Humor helps men get laid, more than it helps women achieve their dating/sex aims.

• Why do chickens have longer eggplants than blind turtles? These and many more of life's questions may not be answered in out lifetime.

• Being funny can help a guy get a girl but not the other way around. From there, natural selection runs its course.

• A lot of humor is being willing to make a complete and total ass out of yourself just for a laugh. Men seem to be more willing to do that than women. Not that women can't be hillarious as well.

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 14

• I've found girls are usually funnier when they aren't around guys. Several of my friends are hilarious, but many tone it down a bit in mixed groups.

Maybe because guys get more social points for entertaining people, but girls get more social points for being agreeable and letting everyone have their turn.

• True, they are funnier, maybe we're just more uptight? I don't know haha maybe it lies in the testosterone :p

• I don't know, they're just born that way.

• What the actual hell, Amy

• Because of their keen sense of humor where they can casually just blurt out something funny and women would either be like "um hi" or "bitch... YOU GUESSED IT"
    I don't know actually

• I have no idea but fuck yes! they are funnier.. 😂😂😂 my guy friends make me laugh too much.. 😂😂 maybe this is a gender thing and for guys girls would be funnier

• They are more carefree than most women. Most women are more uptight and serious than most guys. Which isn't a good thing.

• What? I'm hilarious 😤😂

• i think its because it was never classy for a woman to be funny but my high school senior English teacher was probably the funniest person i ever met and my teacher was a girl.

• I'm hilarious. I've yet to meet a man as funny as I am.

• They just are

• they're not

• Because they have a sense of humor and don't get offended by everything like women do lol. Women hardly joke around because they find everything offensive.

• Just a different perspective. I know a lot of funny guys, and prefer to be around them!