Is ISLAM a SEXIST religion?

Most Helpful Guy

• Typically yes. I can't think of any form of Islam that doesn't require the women to cover up, yet the men are never forced to cover up. Also the Islam ruled countries are a great example because none of the women are allowed to drive, work and it's illegal for a woman to get raped in Islam. They throw a woman in jail for getting raped or stone her to death.

• I'm muslim and no i'm not forced to cover up.

• @Asker
      I could be anything on earth but crazy, have some self respect, your question is humiliating enough, but I didn't take this way till I read your replies, your question isn't actually a question, It's somewhere everyone can show their hatred for Islam for a while, if you're not willing to accept us defending what we know better than you, then don't go attacking us.
      If you're really looking for a true conversation, then I'd welcome having one.
      But your question wasn't meant to even discuss it, and now for saying something otherwise : yeah you're totally right it's sexist pla pla Pff, you're calling me crazy LOL! who's crazy!
      That's why I never talk about religion , people! Grow up

• I had a disconnection before I post this yesterday
      @John_doesnt
      but tell me what in life people thought it to be right, and it hasn't been proved to be the other way around?
      All this attack on Islam makes you wonder also, or you'd be pure brainwashed too not to think about it, because they tell you all the time, Islam=rapists=terrorists=murdering in the name of god= killing for any small sin, think about it the way you like, It's Islam's freedom I'm talking with here, and I don't obligate you with anything here, just read this and go out like nothing on earth has happened, I wouldn't even bother think whether If I should've said something differently, I don't have to be right at the moment.
      Following the way of your thinking, then after reading the bible, I don't think Islam is the only religion's name should be mentioned in the title, but Islam tells me not to mention any other religion with anything bad, and to respect everyone following any religion.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. It is filled with double standards for men and women. The marriage rule is a good example. Surprisingly, no one questions it.

What Guys Said 17

• Let's see:

KILL NON-VIRGIN BRIDES
    Deuteronomy 22:13-21 - "If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her, And give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate…. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city. And the elders of that city shall take that man and chastise him; and they shall amerse him in an hundred shekels of silver, and give them unto the father of the damsel, because he has brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel; and she shall be his wife; he may not put her away all his days. But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she has wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house…."
    http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/22-13.htm
    KILL UNWED LOVERS
    Deuteronomy 22:22 - "If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die…."
    http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/22-22.htm –

Leviticus 20:10 - "And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death."
    http://biblehub.com/leviticus/20-10.htm –
    Leviticus 21:9 - "And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt by fire."
    http://biblehub.com/leviticus/21-9.htm –
    KILL UNWED MOTHERS
    Genesis 38:24 - "And it came to pass about three months later, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter-in-law hath played the harlot; and also, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt."
    http://biblehub.com/genesis/38-24.htm –
    KILL RAPE VICTIMS
    Deuteronomy 22:23-24 - "If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find
    her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city…."
    http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/22-23.htm –

• Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.
      35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.
      http://biblehub.com/niv/1_corinthians/14.htm
      Oops , sorry, that's an error,
      I quoted the other sexist religion's texts.

• Which is why I don't believe in religion. Outdated cults, reflecting outdated ideologies, from outdated times. Based on a superstitious bullshit story.

• @Northeast106
      Indeed.

• every single biblical religion is sexist

• It's as sexist as Christianity.

• No more sexist than the other Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism etc.) Seriously read some of the shit the Bible says about women. e. g. 1 Timothy 2:11-14
    11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

In other words, women shan't speak, and shall always be submissive to men. Only because she is a woman, like Eve who committed the original sin.

So, just because there are some screwed up passages in an Ancient Book written by the people who lived in the Levantine desert a few thousand years ago does not reflect the people who practice the religion. Therefore, just because there is some sexist stuff in the Qu'ran, like the bible doesn't mean that all Muslims believe that.

• If you read the stories about honor killings. Women who are forced to have their genitals mutilated. Shariah law preventing them from driving a car or voting.. you tell me?

• You could not be more fucking wrong.

• @Omar5881 to be honest the way women are treated over there pisses me off knee-jerk reaction don't you know? Have a good one!

• Well it depends on the country of course but yeah women treatment needs a lot of modification but u know what it's called it's called ARAB thing not ISLAM thing arabs do a lot of things against Islams teachings of course not all arabs

• Its difficult to separate any religion from the actions of those who profess to follow it. I'm sure some who follow it are, while others are not. Probably also depends on where you're at and, finally, what your exact definition of sexism is. This is true of all religions I'm familiar with. There are many I don't know about, though. I'm certainly no expert.

• You won't get anywhere, the believer will never admit to it but at the core it is

Thats not to say everyone thinks that way but a good chunk do

• No its not

• Ask a question about Islam and u find a shit ton of people 😂

• No religion is sexist, its human being who is sexist.

• "There are sexist Muslims" =/= "Islam is a sexist religion. "

Geez.

• Of course - but so is Christianity and Judaism and, well, evolution itself.

• Theologically yes. Along with all of the Abrahamic Faiths. In some countries they follow religion to the letter, and obey every word of instruction. These are outdated, medieval cults that should be obsolete to begin with.

• Nope, it's not.

• All Abrahamic Faiths are sexist. So yes, it is.

• Yes. In Saudi Arabia women aren't allowed to drive, and if they go out in public it must be with a male relative, not just a random single man, and never alone.

• Most religions have a tendency to put women "in their place". It's man's insecurity and need for power.

• Animals have more rights than women in islam.

What Girls Said 11

• I'm muslim and i'm not forced into doing anything I don't want to; I can wear what I want, when I want-jeans, shorts and skirts etc. Plus if we were to really get into religious publishings you'd notice that each and every religious scripture has sexist content against women;Christianity, catholics and anything else you can think of putting the man over the women but it doesn't necessarily mean everyone follows it.

• Where do you live?

• Its not about being forced... its about conditioning - eventually people 'think' its their choice

You may not be one of them, but those women that feel the need to hide themselves because they are conditioned to feel more comfortable that way while their husbands sip on lemonade and enjoy the cool breeze is ridiculous

• Every religion has extreme rules but not all are followed.
      I was just about to say that

• Pretty much every religion has sexist values.

• Oh yeah it is, it most definetly is. Many other religions are as well.

• Most religions can be sexist depending on how they are interpreted actually..

• In today's society it seems like everything to other people is sexist.

• No it's not

The word sexist is getting annoying💔💔

• It's probably just all the media portrayal but Islam really scares me. I try not to judge or be prejudice but when I see girls my age whipped in the street for trying to go to school, I can't help but be afraid😕

• I don't think so but it depends how they interpret and relate to their religious beliefs.

• Why are you anonymous for this question? Seems very cowardly

• All religions are sexist...

• I think extremists in any religion can be... but there are some that aren't (non-extremists).