How do I stop being afraid of being judged?

I like helping homeless people and lately I've been buying food to this homeless person whenever I see him. He seems extremely nice and sincere, and it feels strange because he seems young such as my age or a bit older. And around my area, I don't see too many young homeless people. The last time I got him food, he seems very grateful and kind, and perhaps he remembered me buying him food other times because he started to have a conversation with me. The thing is that I Wanted to talk to him more, but something kept stopping me so I made the conversation very brief and left. I felt very awful afterwards. I don't understand why I get that way. I don't see anything bad about homeless people, but I guess I'm afraid of people judging me and looking at me strangely. I don't want people's judgement of me define my behavior, but I don't really know how to change that. Has anyone went through something similar and knows how to change that? I want to befriend the guy because he seems extremely sweet and I think he needs a friend right now.

Most Helpful Guy

• "No one can make you inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt. Remember, this; thus, I would advise you if you do something good, and you feel justified in your actions, don't worry about what others think. If they think you are weird, who cares? You are ultimately responsible about how you feel about yourself.

Most Helpful Girl

• You need to understand that people will always judge you, but too rarely are they judging you as harshly as you think. Think of when you pass by people on the street: What do you really think about them when you see them? Do you think about their outfit, their appearance in general, or question their integrity? No. Even if they do something odd, how long do you really sit there and ponder it? I doubt hardly at all. Most people are the same.

For the people who DO want to judge you, ask yourself this: why does it matter? They don't know you, they mean nothing to do, and they shouldn't. The best thing to do in those situations is to pretend you don't give a rat's ass - it's amazing to see how people react when you don't seem to care. They either get embarrassed or mad, either way they don't feel positive and they'll leave.

You just need to remember that we're all human and no one takes shit as seriously as we think they do.

• yea, you're totally right! Thanks for the advice :D This really helped me out

What Guys Said 2

• Yeah I gave homeless people money all the time but then I realized I have no money cause I gave it away.

• Is your point that I shouldn't give anything to the homeless? Because I don't believe in that at all.

• thanks, but I think you need to look at homeless people through the same perspective you look at people you love. I mean we're all human beings, we all come from the same God. Maybe you may not believe in God, I don't know, but I think we could both agree that we all came from the same origin. So that kind of connects us in a sense and makes us all family. And I feel like in about 100 years, most people are going to be homeless. And I would hope that people would want to help me out in a time where I may have nothing. I think at the end of day, love is far more powerful than money. I mean this homeless guy I see every day seems far happier than any financial stable person I've met, and he doesn't even have any money, if any at all.

• Yeah I believe that too and in 100 years this world will be a shitfest

https://youtu.be/AsEPtVf8q74

• Notice everyone elses flaws if everyone knew everybody elses flaws and secrets nobody would talk bad about each other.

What Girls Said 0