Past-tense of sneak, what do YOU say?

What word do you say/write?

Is there a difference of word use when talking with friends or writing an academic paper?

• Sneaked
  • Snuck
  • Other
http://grammarist.com/usage/sneaked-snuck/

Snuck is new, originated in the US, but popular and generally accepted in the English countries.

Sneaked is better for academic papers. But most readers won't care if an author chooses the word snuck.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 7

• I only know "snuck". "Sneaked" sounds kinda weird to my ears. As for academic papers... I think I would try to avoid both of them. I'm sure there is a nicer, more eloquent word for a paper. Snuck or sneaked sounds very much like casual spoken language.

• I use the word snuck

• I guess both are correct. But sneaked sounds a bit strange to me, never really thought about it.

• I just say the were sneaking

• You may not do this for the same reason as I do. But if I don't know the past tense, I'll do what you do with the past tense of sneak.

• Yeah i do that a lot when writing essays. Like constantly. I mean it means the same thing, sounds correct and you don't have to worry about it being grammatically incorrect

• 2 smart people lol

• I sneaked into your snuck >;)

What Girls Said 6

• I believe that "snuck" is only used with a helping verb. For example, "I sneaked around," versus "I had snuck around." Of course, I could be wrong. This is just based on my observation that words where the past tense has multiple spellings (like swam vs. swum), it is usually the 'u' version is used with a helping verb.

• I am going to sneak around.
    I am sneaking around.
    I snuck around.

Past tense - snuck. Although, both sneaked and snuck are correct, snuck is more natural given the context.

Eg. I snuck around the house quietly
    I sneaked around the corner.

Both are correct, but given the effect you want to given, sneaked is more alert.

• Grammatically it's sneaked. Snuck isn't actually a word.

• Snapping snakes sneaked snickers into snail shells

• Snuck... isn't it snuck or have I been wrong all my life?

• Sneaked? I thought it was sneaked.