If a person is homophobic/racist, does it automatically make them a bad person?

• Yes
  • No
I voted 'no' because people's view on others can change overtime. Besides, I'm sure almost everyone discriminates a certain type of people before in their life.
And also, it only makes them uneducated. I don't automatically think of them as bad people. I was really hoping 'no' would be the majority vote. But oh well :/

Most Helpful Girl

• I suppose it really depends on what your definition of a bad person is?
    What is bad to you, could possibly mean nothing to me, and to the next person.. and so on... everyone defines bad in different ways...

In my opinion, I do not think that alone in itself is considered bad nor does it make the person that thinks it, a bad person... However, if the person acts on it and solely because they "dislike" a certain person for whatever reason, and goes out to do something bad to them, or anything to make them feel less and the like, well then, I would consider that person a bad person.. because just because you don't like someone or something, doesn't mean you have the right to do things that will affect them in negative ways.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not at all. I don't remember the mans name but he was a high ranking member or the KKK. Due to situations he ended up working with some black people at a school and eventually realized that they where not different. He actually ended up winning many humanitary awards. I have a friend who was homophobic. He was still a good friend, he still was a decent human being he was just misguided in some of his beliefs.(later found out he was sexually harrassed by a gay guy which apparently is the root of the hostility, he is considerably less homophobic now, since time has gone by). The fact is if we are not the total sum of our actions then all of us are terrible human beings because all of us have judged, all of us have done wrong at some point or another. "He who looks for faultless friends, remains friendless."

What Girls Said 16

• It makes them hateful, judgmental, narrow-minded, and egocentric. Do those fall into your parameters of 'bad'?

• Yes, well, those are qualities I could use to describe a bad person... but being a bad person isn't a permanent thing and there are some bad things that are worse than others. Like, someone being a closet homophobic and racist isn't nearly as bad as someone who acts upon those feelings to cause harm to others or someone who has murdered/raped/abused children.

• I would say yes.

Why does s/he care so much about people's sexual orientation?

or why the skin color matters so much for him/her?

most stupid type of persons in my opinion

• I definitely think so.

• A good person will treat people with respect no matter what ethnic group or sexual orientation they are. Why be mean?

• Yeah a very horrible one. You think calling someone an ape based on their race is ok? You think that makes you a decent person?

• Some people ( very few) have actually a reason for disliking someone of different race. Maybe gotten emotionally hurt, abusive relationship or raped.

A girl i knew said '' I hate every black guy, they are disgusting'' But she got raped so she had a reason to feel that way... I excuse people with a reason

No one is completely evil or completely nice. Just because someone judge and tend to dislike people easily doesn't mean they are bad. They just have trust issues.

This is just my opinion anyway so no hate.

• Ooops i only though you meant racist. But well it still does not change what i mean.

I excuse every person who has a valid reason to feel that way.

• It really depends on what you'd define as a 'bad person.' For instance, some would say homophobics/racists are not 'bad' as such, but just ill-informed or badly brought up. However, some would say that they are bad. I, similarly to your viewpoint, think they are just uneducated, and just like you said, almost everyone discriminates in some way; it's just some are more forthcoming about it than others.

• Certainly, darling, as while they can change their minds, they seldom do.

• I said yes. Because in my opinion, it does. Hating something because it's different from you or because you dot necessarily agree with it is wrong. Those are two of the most hateful things that you can be.

• It's just ignorance, ignorant people aren't automatically bad people they're just misinformed and lack perspective. We're all guilty of that sometimes right?

• It depends on your point of view. I know some racist people who are pretty cool besides that but I also know a lot of racist and homophobic assholes whom I would love to punch in the throat because they're shitty human beings.

• Nope. They're most likely ignorant but not necessarily bad people

• That's a tough one. I'd have to say no unless they act on it.

• Everyone has the right their own view , but anyone who is a homophobic or racist will lose a lot of respect of many people. Their views will not be accepted as part of a civilised society.

I would only view the person as a " bad" person if they tried to incite hatred towards others, bullied , or Judged someone as "bad" because they were homosexual or of another colour from them

Society teaches us to respect and recognise that everyone has the right to their own opinion/ views , , but we don't have to accept or respect their views. We all have freedom of choice, but we are not free from the consequences of our choices.

• Absolutely it does, those are some of the criteria's for being a bad person.

What Guys Said 20

• By all means, a resounding YES! I wouldn't want to have ANYTHING to do with such peoeple.

• Yes they are bad people. Ignorance and racism/homophobia are not the same thing. Yes, ignorance lead to those prejudiced view, but they are not one in the same. Ignorance is simply the state of not knowing. Racism and Homophobia is the result, of when you mix ignorance together with pure HATRED.

Ignorance by itself is harmless. But when you add hatred to the mix, that is when you get things like the KKK, Slavery, mistreatment of others because you feel superior, hate crimes, ethnic cleansing, racial genocide, systematic discrimination, and etc.

Racist/Homophobic belief has done way more historical bad then good, so by mere association, I refuse to acknowledge people with those belief as any anything but bad. There a reason why people avoid those kind of people at all cost.

• I voted no, because those words get applied to anyone who does not endorse the liberal agenda regarding race and homosexuality. Also those words are virtually never defined by the people who use them against others, because once they are defined, you must be careful about how you use them.

• Thos people are really narrow-minded. Not fun to deal with yes but it doesn't make them bad people in my opinion.

• So long as they're tolerant, it's fine. You don't need to like people, just have to accept them. Bloke I knew wasn't exactly too fond of Muslims, but he just kept it down.

• Not always. It could be their upbringing and the beliefs that were bestowed upon them at a very early age by negative influences.

I give them the benefit of the doubt that one day they'll eventually realize that people of other races and sexual orientations aren't as bad as they were led to believe.

• To me, yes it does. Hating an entire group of people instead of judging on individual character, is a serious character flaw that no "good" person would have.

• I think they were raised wrong to be honest. I don't blame them I blame their parents.

• Depends on how broadly you define racism.

Are you a bad person if you're brought up by racists and allow your mind to change with experience? Probably not. I'd say you're not really a bad person unless you're doubling down on the racist views.

• Just because someone doesn't mean with homosexuality, doesn't mean they want to subjugate that person. It's possible to disagree with something without bringing harm on them.

• No, but a lot of times they are anyways.

• Well, who knows? Maybe they were raised wrong

• I voted no because it is based on evolution, but if they do not try and move past this then I would say yes.

• I don't think so, everyone has the right to their opinions

• No, we are all a mix of good and bad when it comes down to it. However, it does make me think less of them than I would have otherwise.

• This makes you a good person.

• The flip side would be, are all non racists gay rights people good. If not, it would stand to reason that not all racists and homophobes are bad.

• Pretty much. They are weak if they find their strength in keeping others down. Also many people that are extremely homophobic are hypocritical people suppressing their deepest desires, Weak people are usually bad people.

• Racist - Yes (usually bad person); Homophobic - No (I think it's normal)

• No. It automatically makes them an imperfect person. Nobody is perfect. You can be a good person and a racist/homophobe.