Can you get PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) from being bullied?

Sorry that this is so long but please answer it.

I was really good friends with a girl in year 9 and 10 (grades 8 and 9 for everyone in America) in high school. When we started in year 11 (10th grade), she gradually started harassing me, it went on until the end of the year when she left to another school. She'd pickup on the smallest mistakes I made and call me stupid, ask "what the hell" I was doing even for going to the bathroom or asking a question during class and she'd laugh at practically everything I did. I remember sitting at my desk in science or maths class (we had those classes together) crying because I felt incapable of understanding anything and waking up in the middle of the night having panic attacks. During year 12 (11th grade) a couple of people asked why I didn't like her but I just shut down, started feeling anxious and never ended up telling anyone about what happened.

I'd practically forgotten about it until this year (I'm 22 now, and year 17 if you want to look at it like that) when another girl started doing the same thing. It only went on for a few weeks, but all the memories from year 11 came flooding back. After the last time I saw her, I went to a lecture and I couldn't stop crying, I felt choky and all I could think about was sitting in class at high school crying because I didn't feel capable.

Did I have a flashback? And is it possible I have PTSD from what happened?

Bump
🦁
🤓🤔
🤘🏻🖖🏻

Most Helpful Guy

• If you had PTSD the symptoms would be present all the time. You are just remembering a traumatic experience from your childhood and of course that is painful. You need to be more assertive in the way you deal with people. I've been offered a course in Assertiveness, maybe you could do something similar. Or even get a good book on the subject.

• Thanks, that's a relief 😊. I think I'll look up an assertiveness course or something.

Most Helpful Girl

• yes, i think you need to stand up for yourself, don't cry and slap that bicth

What Guys Said 17

• Yes, I think it is possible if the event was traumatic enough.

• I'm starting to doubt that I do from reading other people's comments, thanks for answering 😊

• I do. Whoever says you can't, I'd like to see their credentials. High school diplomas don't count.

• This is very much a possibility. But if it has been something recurring throughout life, it could be C-PTSD, which is milder but harder to treat. It could also be PTED, which is even harder yet to treat because bitterness doesn't die easily. After all, it's always someone else's fault.

If a friend turned against you and joined the bullies, that could be betrayal trauma. The biggest difference is this: PTSD uses *fear* to instigate fight-or-flight reactions. PTED and BT, however, instigate it via *anger*.

PTSD makes you wanna curl up in a ball. The other two make you wanna turn into the Hulk and smash your problems away. PTED, however, also betrays you to despair, as you're convinced that no matter what, it's just gonna happen again anyway.

• What's BT?

• BT = Betrayal Trauma. C-BT is Betrayal Trauma Complex. It's worse, because there's more than one incident responsible and the incidents stack on top of one another, until you're convinced you're jinxed or something.

• Ok thanks

• if an event or series of events are traumatic enough you can have post traumatic stress issues as a result of it

• Bullys always like to pick on ready made victims. Best way to stop a bully is to fight back never giving an inch even if you lose and they eventually give up when they realise your more trouble than your worth. I used have a bully who torrmented me relentlessly so what I used to do everyday was run up behind him and punch the side of the head or surprise him from around the corner and punch him as hard as I could and run off, a few times I threw stuff at him and one time I hit him with a chair. He always got me back but eventually gave up as I never would. The moral of the story never be the victim or let others think your a victim. Being is something too many young people aspire too these days.

• PTSD is a very specific diagnosis and it is over-diagnosed. It doesn't really matter what the diagnosis is; if you can't handle it, get some counselling.

• No, unless you were in a situation where your mind believed it wouldn't make it out of the situation alive. PTSD is highly unlikely. PTSD is a very extreme form of trauma, to the point of where memories of such events can be suppressed indefinitely where the person suffering may not recall anything of the situation at all.

• Thanks for answering 😊

• Anything traumatic can form PTSD. There are different stages of PTSD I think, but irregardless any traumatizing event could cause it.

• So I could have a milder form of it?

• Haha, ok, thanks :)

• no problem. good luck

• Yes, if the bullying was severe enough. PTSD doesn't just affect prisoners or war veterans, it could affect anyone who's gone through serious shit.

• Yes, you can, Hopefully you get better. As someone with mental illness themselves, The best reponse to a guy saying "Its all in your head" would be kick them in the balls and say, "get over it, its all in your balls."

• Lol ok, thanks for answering 😊

• Good job mate, joke about physically attacking someone because you have a mental illness. Good way to reinforce it is all in their heads and they're just nut cases tho. Sure some mental illnesses are real, but most are overblown it seems.

• @Vasiliy It was funny wasn't it

• It is definitely not impossible, although the perceived event has to be very severe.

• Thanks for answering 😊

• I believe so yes. I went through some pretty bad shit myself while in school.

• Ok, thanks for answering 😊

• Yes, if was severe enough.. and I know from experience that bullying can be rough... really rough.

• It is possible and if the bully was violent it is even more hard to get over it.

• sadly i know someone who was bullied in the workplace badly and he was left traumatised by it. Best thing you can do is get help and don't keep it in. It took the person i know to go through what happened them. I really and still just want to punch and harass the person that bullied the person i know but its not what they want. But do get help, people do care and want to help you.

• Soft ass generation. Not trying to sound ignorant but take it from somebody who's served two tours with 2nd LAR USMC. If you get diagnosed with PTSD because someone made fun of you.. then consider growing thicker skin.

• You've obviously never been bullied before

• Yes I have.

• I have this too. This is evidence that not only females can be victims and not only guys are suspects. Both can inflict severe damage, just girls do it in a different way but with the same results as of when guys do it. I am sorry to hear that, first is to remind yourself you are a man, not a boy anymore. People depend on you to be strong and I know it's hard to take but this is what life is. I am not saying I don't care how you feel, I am just saying I believe in you. You must understand that not only girls do hurt but guys as too. Aware that there are only two kinds of people: the bad ones and the good ones. Fight the bad ones and help the good ones. I wish the best for you. Don't let them put you back to the level they want you to be. Own your manhood and don't be a victim. Make your heart rock solid. Be strong.

• Umm… I'm a woman, not a man

• Sorry. Then in your case... get help from others. Support system.

• Ok thanks

• Possibly. I know I had a bit of PTSD from some fraternity hazing

• Thanks for answering 😊

What Girls Said 18

• Not sure, I would think it was something deffinetly traumatic, but I don't know whether or not it's PTSD. Not saying you do, but I don't want you to self-diagnoise yourself because a bunch of random people said it's possible. If it's taking over your life, please go see someone about this. That's very serious and holding that all in for so many years can do stuff to you. Nothing to be ashamed of at all, because I used to go to therapy as well, but for different reason. She or he will give a professional diagnoses. Anyways, I'm sorry for what that girl did to you.

I was once bullied in HS by my best friend at the time. I don't know what her problem was, but I can tell you something was deffinently not right. She'd text me horrible things every single say and even wrote me two page length email. It soon became too much and I eventually reported it to the school with my friends (who were also getting bullied by her) and the police had to get involved. In the end, she did stop, but tbh she didn't get the punishment she deserved.

All she got was never to do that again and a slap on the writs. Honestly, this country needs to take more action when it comes to bullying, it's crazy how many children we lose because nothing is really being done. I wish there were more stricter laws for bullying, but that's probably too much of a high hope, lol. Anyways, it caused me a lot of stress, and I learned to just move on. 2 years after the event, she Facebook messaged me apologizing. But it wasn't much of an apology, because she still tried to 'blame' us for making her do such a thing. Whatever. You have to forgive the jerks in this world though. But not forget. In a way, her bullying opened my eyes to the world. I learned so much from it, actually. I mean, I don't want to ever experience something like that again, but it inspired me to actually go into counseling for the young people going through this in hopes to help others that went through what I did. And help as much as I can because I didn't really have much counseling from it and felt alone.

If you don't forgive it'll eat up, as we are seeing with you having issues in college. I truly wish you the best and know you're not alone. Just don't forget. If you need more help, please don't hesitate to message me as well.

• Anything that was traumatic or harmful to you psychologically is capable of turning into posts. It's like reliving a nightmare over and over until you feel like that's all there is. The nightmare doesn't have to be about wars in Afghanistan or domestic violence, it can be something that happened months ago but still haunts you. I have a little experience with this and let me tell you, the easiest way to get through it is thinking about it from a different perspective. Kind of like thinking about it through a week from now and realising that it won't be there forever. Think of those who love you and not the ones who don't. Hope this helps honey, hang in there.

• Thanks, this really does help me 😊

• PTSD usually results from a trauma like violence, disaster, rape, threat of serious bodily harm, near death experience, etc stuff like that. In all likelihood her bullying has simply had a lasting impression on you and hurt your self esteem. I think of PTSD as something that generally results from a single event.

Symptoms of PTSD include flashbacks, constant thoughts about the incident, avoiding anything that reminds you of the incident, nightmares, etc etc

Read about it here
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Posttraumatic_stress_disorder

Oh and by the way suddenly remembering something is much different than a flashback- during flashbacks its almost as if you confuse reality with the memory, like a veteran ducking and shouting orders when they hear a loud noise

• Ok, thanks you. I guess it was just a bit of a shock being reminded of what happened that suddenly.

• I bet and I'm sorry you went through that

• Any stressful event can bring on PTSD really. Have you thought about seeing a professional about these feelings?

• I haven't really thought about it, do you think it would help?

• Most definitely. If it's bothering you so much it should really be productively addressed.

• Ok, thanks :)

• Um... did you have flashbacks? I'm thinking anxiety or panic attacks. Not sure about PTSD, but still could be, because you might not need to have flashbacks to meet the criteria for PTSD.

Seek professional counseling and evaluation of your history and current symptoms. I hope you could walk out of it.

• Thanks for answering 😊, I think I might try group therapy or something

• Have an individual, one-on-one meeting with a counselor first, because treatments might have to be individualized, and groups I think are mire for recovery and support groups after individual therapy.

• It is possible to get PTSD I its traumatic enough, but you just need o learn how to stand up for yourself

• Thanks for answering 😊

• Well I actually have PTSD. I sounds like a social anxiety disorder and it was that particular moment.

• I was badly bullied for most of my life. Anyone who says you're weak or soft like the soldier dude I downvoted deserves a slap. I've been left with depression and anxiety as an adult. Interestingly though, antidepressants are often used to treat all three. Those and counselling can help, so I'd go and see your doctor.

• PTSD comes from surviving an experience you truly thought you would die. Symptoms can take up to ten years to start showing. Maybe if the bullying was physical and the bully enjoyed beating his/her victims it could be a milder form of PTSD.

• Thanks for answering 😊

• I think I might at least try group therapy or something thanks again

• Yeah no problem I hope in time, you feel better.

• Yes it is very possible to develop PTSD from being bullied. It can be and usually is a very traumatic experience. Maybe talking about with someone will help. And also understanding that those feelings of being incapable are false might help.

• sounds terrifying!
    but if something like that was really horrible for you its possible to feel the same way again when something like that happens.
    i hope you feel better and that nothing like this ever happens to you
    hope this helps
    ☺️

• If it's a few incidences, it wouldn't matter but if it's an ongoing thing that has been going for years on end... You will be emotionally wrecked.

• Yeah... You're allowing yourself to be quite vulnerable and a pushover... Don't be that type of person

• I feel like you're almost saying it's my fault because I didn't stand up for myself even though it was over a year and it became very draining after a while

• No I'm saying I understand, I used to have the same thing... and I'm telling you what I wish someone had had the guts to tell me.. my ptsd was 10 times worse than yours

• And I wish someone had just had said what should have been said

• Yes it's possible.

• yes... seems possible...
    tho it was only one person who did that to you?

• There was one main person and a couple of her friends joins in occasionally

• hmmm... i see...
      well yeah it can be pretty traumatic...
      tho i'm sorry can't really relate or help you as i haven't lived a similar experience :/. but i know that bullied girls tend to always live with that fear...

• You may have just had a flashback because you were triggered but as far as I know, PTSD is only caused by very severe trauma such as war, torture, and kidnapping.

• I was bullied mentally and physically, and with prayer and toughening up, I realized others have it harder than me and that I'd better suck it up if I want to be able to help them one day.

• I'm sure there are people worse off then me, I'm bit denying that. I'm just trying to work out why I reacted like that this time.

• Yes, clearly it is possible to react the way I did, I'm just trying to work out why.

I'm sorry you had to go through what you went through and I hope you heal in time.

• I've healed, thanks! I hope you get better.

• Yeah, that sounds like PTSD.