I spanked my 7 year old?

I spanked her with a wooden spoon she started crying and rubbing her butt but she was fully clothed I feel bad now but I told her to stop it but she just don't listen I've tried time out and taking toys away but no good? I mean I spanked her kind if hard not to hard just enough so she would get the impression I wasn't kidding when I told her to stop. do you spank and with what

• Should of I spanked her
  • No I shouldn't of spanked her
  • There is better options
  • Spanking is nessary sometimes

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, you did try the better options. I guess sometimes you just can't do anything else to achieve a result. Don't make a habit out of it though.

• There are worse alternatives to spoons, if you had used a belt I would most likely not have said the same thing - belts are insane.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it was necessary. There are so many kids growing up disrespectful due to not being spanked as a child. I see no harm in it, it's not like you hit her face. I think its good that people are keeping it old school. I was spanked as a child, with hand and a spoon. And I have no problem with that. I remember rubbing it as well to make my parents feel bad haha so maybe that's just what she did :). But don't let anyone judge your parenting, you're only try to do what's best. And I think it's a good thing. Rather than standing in a corner

• Yea like she don't learn anything when I tried time out so maybe now when she has a hard time sitting down she'll behave the next time

What Guys Said 7

• When I behaved wrongly as a kid, sometimes my mom would beat me with her shoe or hand (never in the face, just butt). Now that I grew up, I suffer from a clinical condition called: "Respect for others".

• I can hardly believe there are so many people who think spanking is okay. Obviously, these people are completely ignorant and have no knowledge whatsoever about child psychology. Physical violence, including spanking, WILL leave marks on your child. It doesn't matter if all these ignorant fools claim that spanking did them good because it doesn't. They might just not realize it. Spanking is incredibly humiliating for a child and is very disrespectful from the part of the parent. For some odd reason, many parents like you consider their child some kind of dog that you can simply kick or slap if it misbehaves (in fact, many people treat their dogs better than their kids). But here's a memo for you: your daughter is not a dog. She's a human being and as such, deserves the same treatment as anyone else. Just because she's not an adult doesn't mean she has no civil or human rights. In fact, it's the opposite. Children deserve a special about of care and protection. I assume you would never hit your boss or your husband or your best friend or your neighbor - then why do you spank your daughter? BECAUSE YOU CAN. That's it, isn't it? You don't hit other people because there would be consequences but hey, who cares about a 7-year old getting spanked. Nobody. You see some idiots here evening applauding you for it.
    Children suffer emotionally from being spanked and I can assure you that this will leave wounds on her, though this wounds might be located deep in her unconsciousness. Spanking is only for desperate parents who are too bad at parenting for coming up with constructive ideas. Maybe you should read a couple of books on parenting instead of solving it the easy way. The phrase that spanking is sometimes necessary is complete and utter bullshit. Spanking is NEVER necessary if the parents know how to react in a particular situation. I have never been spanked because my parents always knew how to solve problems in a constructive way.

• my parents spanked me if i was playing up, and it did me no harm. it left me with no deep routed issues as you claim lol.

• Personally in my opinion all forms of physical punishment is just wrong no matter what. I always pondered too if that is the source to violence in relationships. Cause they get taught that to them on a most likely unaware level. "If someone dosent do what I want them to, I just have to use violence until they do". I again have a hard time to not find it disgusting to be honest. Its just power abuse.

• What did she do? Interrupt your afternoon nap?

• Wait, your kid is seven?

• Get over it. What she chooses to do is fine. Obviously you didn't get spanked as a child because you're the asshole that post stupid comments 😂

• I was never spanked by my parents and I was proud of that. They treated me with the carrot.

• Yeah, spanking is sometimes necessary. However, always try to sort out things by talks first. Spank kids as last resort.
    Spanking isn't wrong. Spanking as first option to teach kids is wrong.

• hahaha Asian parenting style. Even though I've received spanking as I grew up (you could say thrashing according to western standards), I'd suggest first trying to talk some sense into your kid using examples and if he/she doesn't understand the wrongdoing committed then you might spank a bit. For me, I wouldn't hit my child with anything, I'd just give them a small knock on the back and then take away their privileges (games) and make them think about their actions and consequences.

Incoming butthurt people with their ideals that spanking children for their wrongdoings equals jail time. :P

What Girls Said 10

• Getting old school Italiano on her ass 👍👍👍
    I don't blame ya. Sometimes spankings are necessary

• I'm against spanking. I truly believe if you explain to your children consistently why they are doing something wrong and what the reasons are for them to not do it again you won't need to physically harm them to teach them a lesson. I was never spanked in my life because it wasn't needed. I guess in some cases I might see why you'd want to spank your child if they aren't listening but ultimately I think there is better ways.

• If you weren't listening to me do you think it would be Ok for me to hit you with a piece of wood?

If you don''t have the skills to deal with your child without resorting to physical violence then perhaps you should ask for help. There's no shame, we all struggle with things sometimes but this is not cool. Not fucking cool.

• I remember I was only spanked like once when I was a kid. It was with a fly swatter. My parents never did it often at all. Though they had a hard time understanding how to deal with me since I have a mix disorder of adhd/autism.

So I do understand how frustrated you must have felt. If she kept doing what you told her not to do. Since no matter how much my parents grounded me it never sunk into my head. Though a lot of the time it was because of how forgetful I am. So majority of the time my parents would take away things I really liked. Then wouldn't let me watch tv or other things for days.

• Wow That's awful! .. why with a wooden spoon? that's abuse in my opinion.
    I suppose in 'some' occasions, some kids do need harder discipline than others, but when you are using objects to struck a child, that's going over board... you're abusing your power of being the older person...

• Why are you posting this again?

• It's necessary sometimes. Provided it doesn't bruise, and is only on the bottom, arm, leg, etc. I think it's fine. I was smacked a couple of times, and it gave me incentive to not be a little shit. And then I grew into a functioning adult, and not some irresponsible little tool who never got disciplined.

• I think you shouldn't spanked her. My mom used to spanked me and my brother, and it kind of gives us trauma or something. I forgot most of my childhood but the part where my mom spanked me with broom or sticks, I never forgot. I never forget the horror and the fear when she spanked me

• I really don't this is my last resort

• I think physical pain should not be used to force a child to listen. They can be tough as hell sometimes to try to get through to... But explain the process of spanking to yourself in descriptive language and I think you will feel that it is wrong.

• As a kid my dad spanked me, and I hated it but I stopped doing whatever it was. Its necessary sometimes but as I got older spanking me turned into him just beating me.

• I really don't spank her that much