Why are (some) people that frequent this site so hostile?

Over the last 2-3 hours I've been checking GaG and responding to opinions or questions, I've come across 5-7 highly insolent individuals who, not only don't answer the question or opinion directly, but proceed to personally attack me.

Do the Mods/Admins even go through questions to monitor questions/opinions/responses, or is it your responsability to report an antagonist?

Overall I really like this site, it has helped me through tough periods of my life... but it can be very toxic, so I tend to take week-long breaks - a bit like FaceBook.

Most Helpful Girl

• What can I say? It's the internet, at least here we can block and report people, irl you can't even do that.

• If you block someone, they can still comment? And even if you block them from commenting on their own post, they post on someone else's.

So much harrassment.

• I'm ready to bet that most of them are really insecure and frustrated.

• I agree with u :D

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally I do a bit of looking through questions to keep an eye on it. If I see someone start to get into an argument with someone I will watch it does not get out of hand. The trouble is Mods and admins are people to, they can't be on GAG 24/7 and there is a massive volume of questions and opinions posted on here so we can't go looking through every single question at opinions that are posted encase there is one that should be removed. GAG does also rely on people reporting stuff they see also.

Some questions and opinions on GAG can be marginal if they should be removed or not while others can be strait out breaking the rules. If a personal does not answer the question directly most times it does not break the rules enough to be removed. However, personal insults or attacks should be removed.

Have you had any personal attacks recently?

• Yes I have, at least 3 times in the last hour already.

As far as I'm concerned there should be 1) more mods 2) more variety (meaning "dedicated" mods from all over the world).

I recognise that Mods and Admins are indeed human beings, but I still think not enough is being done. I even believe some Mods aren't taking their "job" seriously enough. I might be wrong though.

Concerning "personals" not being "personal enough", there should be Zero Tolerance to antagonistic behaviour.

• GAG has mods from all over the world now. The thing is many people think us mods have the power to remove questions and opinions, we don't. Mods can hide questions and opinions off the site until admins can review it. The admins then decide if the question or opinion stays or it gets removed. If the admin decides it should stay they put it back up for all to see. If the admin decides it should go then they remove it. You might already know what I said but just encase you don't I thought I would tell you. Also I am sorry you feel that way about some of the Mods. Is there anything up at the moment you need me to look at as I am more than happy to?

• I sincerely appreciate your concern, but it won't be needed :)

Well then it's the Admin who are slacking. Are Admins relatively impartial or do they have an agenda?

What Girls Said 6

• My advice is look over the posting guidelines http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/posts and flag things that break the rules.

The way moderation works here is that if a mod sees the post and thinks it's breaking a rule they hide or report it based on their abilities http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/moderators Then an admin will review it and decide if the post should be removed or not. If a moderator or admin doesn't see the post, it's up to you to flag it so the admins can review it.

I agree GaG can be A LOT. Something to think about is trying to make friends so you have someone on the site to talk with about the crazier posts and commenters.

• I've never considered having "friends" on GaG. I'll take a look at the articles.

• Online friends are awesome tbh. They never try to steal your pizza XD

• Yes we do. Most of us work very hard to catch things that violate our guidelines but it's not always possible to get everything which is why we really recommend you reporting. Don't stop doing it because it definitely helps the admin. I'm sorry it gets toxic sometimes. Just know we are trying xx

• I wish I was a mod for a week, then I'd be able to show how it's done lol ;)

• Hahaha maybe you can ask the admin for a trial run :P

• There are very hostile people on this site.
    The thing is with mods and admins... we do check questions and remove the ones that we see.
    However, since there's so many questions appearing each second it's hard to get through them all.
    If you see any offensive answers that you feel go against guidelines and want to be removed you can contact me, or admins.

• I usually report everything that is a personal, Ad Hominem, attack on me or my family/friends/culture/race. I don't even know whether the reports are acknowledged.

• It's happened again! Sometimes I feel like leaving this site completely.

• So, you're pretty much being harassed by the same user. You sent your report to GAG. They will respond soon enough. If you feel you're not being answered right away, try to send your concerns directly to one of the admins.

• There's hostile people everywhere on the internet. If someone personally attacks you, why don't you block and/or report them?

• Believe me I do.

I just don't like the fact that if I block someone from a post, they'll simply comment absurdities on another person's post.

• People are going to be like that on the Internet. Don't let them get to you.

• Omg I completely agree! Also, another thing I have seen is that there have been multiple instances where I'm just giving my opinion, and the question owner thinks I'm wrong and personally attacks me. I thought this site was to simply give your own opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine, but it's simply my opinion! If you already know the answer to the question or don't actually want to get a second opinion, why ask? I try to refrain from a fight, but gosh!!!

• It's called Ad Hominem and bigotry.

I really don't think the Mods are doing much to prevent the people you speak of from attacking you.

• If someone personally attacks you eg "you're dumb" you can flag the post as offensive and the admins will get to it.

You can also look over the posting guidelines http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/posts

• Thanks :)

What Guys Said 3

• Because some of the people on here are extremely pathetic and won't agree with an opinion different than theirs.

• Yes, I've met a lot of bigots around here.

• Yes, it is your responsibility to flag a post as a Member Post or Antagonistic.

• you should dont answer them and blocking. and there is no problem ;)