Who else thinks Star Wars sucks and is completely overrated?

me! me!!!

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you. I actually fell asleep during a Star Wars Marathon when I was with my friends. Prior to falling asleep, I was like "Please, murder me. I can't watch that shit."

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah just some nerds getting lost in a stupid phantasy (talking about the excessive back story to everything, that's not even in movies).

What Girls Said 8

• :( i love star wars :(

• I've always loved star wars. I grew up watching the movies and playing Shadows of the Empire and Battlefront 1 and 2... the only reason it's everywhere now is because Disney bought it (and are promoting the upcoming film), and the new Battlefront game is out.

• Uh yeah, no... It's been "everywhere" my entire fucking life.

• And football has been everywhere for my entire life and I think football is boring and kind of sucks but I know a lot of people enjoy it. That's why it's everywhere. People enjoy it [:

• I always found it boring, but I can see why so many people became so heart-fully invested in it. It seems like anytime an elaborate or innovative-for-the-times fantasy world is created, it has the ability to attract enormous fan following. I guess this sorta thing appeals to an adult imagination. Same with comic superheros/superhero films. And Harry Potter. For me, Harry Potter was my emotional investment.

• I can't see how Harry Potter can possibly hold a candle to Star Wars. Star Wars is The Lord of the Rings of the Sci-Fi universe. Lucas is the Tolkien of sci-fi, even if his imagination isn't quite Tolkien's. There's too much depth to Star Wars for it to be compared to Harry Potter, a children's series.

• @TheSpartan Cool.. stick with Star Wars and LOTR then. There's something out there for everyone. I personally found them both too boring. I might give LOTR another try though. I'd like to love it.

• I just don't see the fascination with Harry Potter. The lore just isn't there.

• I've only seen the old ones. So I don't even know... But I do think it's overrated... It's EVERYWHERE!!!

• Yeah it's a bit hyped but you have to realize that Star Wars was one of the greatest movies of all time.

thejosevilson.com/.../...st-shrug-taylor-swift.jpg

• I think you suck and are completely overrated

• uuurrr arrrr arrrrrrgh!
    Iluvchewbucca!! <3

• very overrated

What Guys Said 26

• Blasphemy :O If not the story, didn't ya at the very least enjoy one of the lightsaber battles? You gotta admit they're cool lol

• Well, for those of you younger souls who began with the "First 3 episodes" (sic), I can understand why you feel that way. You are 25-29.

But for those of us oldsters who were kids in 1977, when the original Star Wars came out in the theatres, now that's a different story.

From a kid's perspective, the 1970's were a pretty bad time overall. It was a time of economic, cultural, and political decay, with the Soviet Empire seeming to take over more and more of the world, and *nothing* going right here at home. The zeitgeist of the times was one of unrelenting doom and gloom, and the future just seemed to us smaller kids to be nothing but shortages, rationing, and price inflation (you could watch your allowance money just lose value as prices for kid stuff rose year by year and even seemingly month by month).

And this was true on the personal family level as well, with so many of us having divorcing parents, and so many of our parents were going off on very odd tangents, from "Swinger Parties" to kooky cults. I remember asking my parents who still stayed together about a friend who had a "mom's boyfriend", and what did that exactly mean ("Is it like a Dad?", I asked. "Not quite...", my parents awkwardly explained).

I also remember so many parents, coaches, teachers wearing T-Shirts with subtle sexual innuendo like "(certain occupational people) do it (a certain way)". For example "Bankers do it with interest", "Nurses do it with care"... from a kid's perspective, the world had gone batshit insane.

Movies and TV of the time were mostly futures of doom and gloom (Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green, Logan's Run, Silent Running), natural and sometimes man-made disasters (Earthquake, The Towering Inferno, The Posideon Adventure, even movies about killer animals) outlaw anti-heroes (Vanishing Point, countless outlaw truckers vs. corrupt rural sherriffs), or nostalgia for the 1950's and early 1960's, when the future still looked bright (American Graffitti, Happy Days).

Star Wars (1977) was the first movie since the Vietnam era to draw clear lines between Good and Evil.

Maybe that was why "Star Wars" was so appealing to kids. It was World War Two-ish good vs. evil, yet set in outer space. Harrison Ford later appearing in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", a throwback to the 1930's and 1940's, with Nazi villians, underscored that theme.

• No, no, no... I saw the original three (episodes 4,5,6) long before the "1st" one came out. My brother would play that trilogy back-to-back-to-back...

• Perhaps this is a Generation Gap, then. Those of us where were children then, middle aged parents now, are introducing it to our children in turn.

Wal-Mart had a series of hilarious commercials highlighting this aspect, as well as a way for them to sell more merchandise.

• My brain can't compute the concept of hating Star Wars.

• 1|4
  • Star Wars doesn't suck and NO it is in no way overrated. You obviously haven't watched Star Wars and you have absolutely no idea about it.
    George Lucas created what Hollywood is today with this cinematic saga.
    I suggest you watch the documentary Star Wars Legacy Revealed which deals only with references Star Wars is making with history, mythology and religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_9s_yDcbdY

• The old ones were pretty good. The newer trilogy was awful, though. Even the third one, -- which many people said was pretty good -- bored me to tears.

• I thought it was a good action film, just too much CGI. I enjoyed the political overture that spanned all three prequel films. The real downside to these movies was the wooden acting and stilted dialogue.

• I think it's only slightly overrated. People tend to get caught up in the movie universe rather than the actual events. I think it's great and a classic though. Even episode 3 was pretty good. The Mustafar lightsaber battle was among my favorite 1on1 fight scenes in movies.

• if you start with 1-3, then yes... especially 1 (although 3 was actually pretty good if you get past a few things). 4-6 was really good because of the content (god knows it wasn't because of the acting).

• You clearly aren't familiar with the Expanded Universe. Try beating both KOTORs and then tell me Star Wars sucks.

You can't, because no one whom has could possibly have that opinion.

• Star Wars... overrated? are you asking for nerds everywhere to arm themselves? cause I certainly would lead the charge. Personally, I hate reality and find it incredibly boring and frankly would rather die if everything sci-fi and fantasy was banned.

• I'm a casual fan of the films, but I fell in love with the mythology after reading some of the Extended Universe books and playing Knights of the Old Republic. The films are just parables of good versus evil, but the EU has gray areas that explore the nature of the force and the human condition in a way that is far more thematically rich than the films provide.

• I totally agree

• Star Wars will NEVER be overrated for me! ever!

• Yes it blows, it has always blown. Not a fan.

• I love star wars, especially the original 3. Empire strikes back and return of the jedi are the best.

• Yes I prefer Halo! The Master Chief is everything that Luke Skywalker wishes he was, but never will be.

• Dude, may be old but it kicks the ass of majority of hollywood fiction movies done today.

• heresy !!!

but dunno i liked the older saga stuff but not sure what to make of the newer stuff comming out

• How is it overrated - name me one movie that even comes close to such a storyline

• such edge. such snowflake. chilly. cooler than the other side of my pillow. haow.

• Dude, you just insulted my childhood not cool -_-
    Why the hate?

• Sucks might be a bit strong, but It's certainly over rated.

• Me meh meh

• old ones, no. but it's just shoot em ups in space.. meh,

• Fuckin-A yah! First one in '77 was enough, I hate prequels.