Most Humane Method? What Would You Pick?

You have a pet.

Dog/Cat/Horse... not a fish or a lizard or whatever...

Your pet is either very old or very sick or both.

You know its quality of life is not a good one and the humane thing to do would be to put it out of its misery.

How do you do it?

• Call the vet - have them humanely euthanize it ($$$)
  • Take it out back and shoot it ($0)
  • Let it live out its life and die naturally

Most Helpful Guy

• Have a vet do it. I've had to do this to three of my pets. In the coming years, I'll have to do it to my wife's cat. I'm not looking forward to that as she is a very sweet cat. On one occasion, one of my class pets, I had to euthanize the animal myself. It was an anole lizard that had a botfly infestation. After researching it, the book told me the most humane thing to do would be to euthanize it by putting it in a plastic bag in a freezer, which I did (keep in mind it's a reptile, it's body doesn't feel or fight cold the way mammals do).

Since they are under our care, pets' lives are GREATLY extended, often living nearly twice as long as they would otherwise. Since we extend their lives by so much, I believe we have an ethical responsibility to euthanize them past a certain point.

P. S. The reaction I get to the death of my class pets varies quite a bit. If it's a small and furry pet (hamsters), more often students get rather emotional over its death. Reptiles, amphibians, and arachnids don't get as much emotional reaction, but you'd be surprised. My first anole to die got quite a few tears from my students and (of all people) my mother, who thought it was a pretty creature.

Most Helpful Girl

• Guess it'd be time to call the vet. It would be awful and definitely not easy, but it is the right thing to do. In this case I would be so upset about my pet being in pain that I wouldn't even think about the money. I'd just want to end his/her misery as peacefully as possible.

Letting him/her die naturally would be cruel and hard to watch, it's not like the animal is getting better, the pain probably just gets worse.

I would NEVER shoot a pet myself, not even if someone paid me to do that, that's against my morals. Obviously I'd never let anyone else shoot my pet for me either. NO GUNS, NO SHOOTING when it comes to animals.

So vet it is. Voted A obviously.

What Guys Said 11

• Im not emotionally but this made me tear up a little... i remember a dog (there were 36 of them) growing up but my fav, Snoopy fell sick, and had to get put out, I'll probably do what i can to make them last moments comfortable, thats as humane as it gets. All lives matter.

• "Take it out back and shoot it ($0)" If I know it's going to be over in a flash I'd do it with no hesitation. i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

• I'd let it die naturally and then cremate it and scatter the ashes in a place the pet was most happiest.

• You can't really compare being really old to really sick there is just no way don't get me wrong being really old is painful too but no where near as being really sick. If it was really sick I would just shoot it in the back of the head cause I am not sure if the vet will always give them the injection and even if they did sometimes they might miscalculate and give them too little of a dose of the injection and they will feel the pain for a long time so that's why I choose shoot them in the back of the head.

• Like most people, A... we don't want to see the animal suffer.
    I was afraid more people would have said B :o :-(

• Had to do this 6 months ago, it was horrible but had to bring dog to vet to do it and cost a lot on top of the fact of being miserable but I couldn't take the suffering anymore

• Definitely A. I could not put them down myself, unless of course there was no other option.

• The vet, always did that

• Option A in most cased. If the animal has distemper or rabies, then option B.

• I could never shoot my pet. I wouldn't mind spending money for a beloved pet especially in such situation. But either leaving it die naturally or euthanizing it depends on the situation.

• I could never shoot it... so A but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it. :(

• It would be like putting down a family member. I dread the day I'm faced with this.

• @TrainwreckAdvice yes... I don't even wanna think about it. I've lost 2 of my cats this year that was already hard enough :(

What Girls Said 13

• My boyfriend and I had to make that decision when his family dog got old and sick. His name was Coco. He was a dark brown winner dog. Coco had cancer and his teeth fell out and his hair as well. He had a bad back and he was taking medicine everyday. Frequent trips to the vet for shots and etc. He looked miserable. One day we took him to the vet and we came back and Coco just laid down whining. His health wasn't improving and we figured he lived an amazing 9 years. We all (as a family) decided to put him down. Got him cremated, bought a beautiful plant (Orchid because he loved them) planted in the garden and mixed his ashes with the soil. The plant is still gorgeous and as long as its healthy Coco will never be forgotten.

• I had a very beloved family pet when I was young, a big ginger tomcat who was soft as anything. He got very sick and looked like he was at deaths door. My mom took him to the vet and he said we should put him down but my mom couldn't do it and brought him home. We all took turns in looking after him, feeding him small amounts of water and eventually food. He bounced back to health and lived another two years before his little kidneys gave in and we did have him put down.

He was a cool cat 🐱

• I was told once that if you have a dog or cat who was severely injured and was obviously suffering and not going to make it that the humane way to put an animal down on your own is to put them in a bag and connect it with your car exhaust and gas them to death. I've never done this and don't think I ever could but this was the PETA way to put them out of misery. I personally take them to the vet. It's my way of respecting them and what they meant to me. Vets are trained to do this the quickest way possible.

• I feel like it'd be more humane to shoot it (if I were to do it myself). Death by bullet is instant. Death by suffocation takes 2-3 minutes.

• Then that would be the way to go. I personally wouldn't be able to shoot an animal because I wouldn't trust myself but if someone knew what they were doing then that would be the way to go.

• That's a PETA recommended way?
      That sounds way more harsh

• I can never do that to a dog or horse.. I love them.. and I'd never keep a cat.. soo if they are in misery.. I'd call the vet.. and hug him and let him die peacefully but i'd cry my eyes out. omg. i hope this never happens to me.

• If they're not in pain, let them live it out.
    If they are, euthanize (by injection). I'd never be able to shoot them.
    Unfortunately I've had to witness way too many animals being put down. And the horses are by far the hardest, and th most dramatic. :/

• Oh I have been there. We've had a number of horses die on our property (all of old age) and it's always hard. We've put some down due to their age and some have passed on their own. So sad.

• Same here, on my property, and just plenty that I've had the chance to work with.
      When it's natural, even having them hauled off is hard to watch.
      But, not much is worse than hearing them hit the ground:/
      That's not something that happens with smaller animals. and it never gets easier

• Oh indeed. My dad runs a rendering plant and it shares a driveway with our barn so if we were to haul them off they wouldn't go very far. But we put ours in the ground. We make my dad dig a hole and we have a funeral lol

• I definitely wouldn't let money sway my decision in something as important as this decision. So I go broke and owe a kidney, I'll take the animal to the vet.

Fuckin ridiculous.

• i voted C i would let it live it out its life and die naturally

• A - of course.

• I could never take the life of anyone/thing I loved. I would follow the suggestions of my vet.

• I would have to go with option one. I couldn't kill an aunt let alone an animal.

• I'd either let it die naturally, or have a friend shoot it, i don't think i could stand killing it myself

• I would take him to the vet.

• If I could afford it I would call the veterinarian.