Why does the song ''take me to church'' have such a music video?

so it doesn't fit at all i don't understand the meaning of that song, it's about going to church, worshipping god and stuff but in its music video it has people doing some nasty sh*t etc?

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• It's not about going to church and worshiping God. "Every Sunday's getting more bleak A fresh poison each week "We were born sick," you heard them say it My church offers no absolutes She tells me, "Worship in the bedroom." The only heaven I'll be sent to Is when I'm alone with you. I was born sick But I love it Command me to be well. Aaay. Amen. Amen. Amen."
    He's talking about persecution and condemnation at the hands of the church. The music video focuses on the mistreatment of gay people because they are often the target of a church's mistreatment. He's using a sarcastic chorus to show his anger.