Why do people give me weird looks for praying in public before a meal?

I'm not very religiouse but recently I guess... i'm getting older and appriciating things more. One day out of the blue I just put my elbows on the table, put my hands together in a fist and leaned my head on my hands and prayd. Not outlaud, just in my head thanking, god (or who ever) for the meal i'm about to eat and to help me with my struggles... etc. Whenever I raise my head I notice people looking at me as if it's odd that i'm praying before I eat. I spend a lot of time alone from my family and don't have many friends where I live since i'm single I tend to eat out alone. It just sort of gives me comfort but I find it strange that people would give me looks as if being reverent before a meal is "strange".

I only pray, in my head (like thank god in my mind) I don't talk outlaud and I pray quickly no more than 10 seconds. Just sort of eases my mind at times.
Also i'm not religious I don't go to church. I swear, drink and smoke i'm the total opposite of religious or a prude. I just... at times... it feels nice just to be thankful for things.

Most Helpful Girl

• omg so cute <3 i love seeing people do that.

who cares? lol, i guess theyre just not used to it. i mean i can understand why it would look weird, but it's ok =]

• this is really interesting, especially after reading that update. how rare...

thanks for MH.

What Girls Said 11

• I guess people are just looking because, for most people, praying before a meal is weird. The majority of people, especially in the US, don't really do something like that anymore, and I doubt they would do it in public even if they do it at home. So for a lot of people, it's going to be something uncommon that they haven't seen very often before.

• DO whatever you want and don'y give 2 FF about what other people think.

• You keep praying and when someone looks at you weirdly, tell them I'll throw in a prayer, that you learn to mind your own business.

• Props dude 👊

• Hmm, my family gives me weird looks for not doing so.

• I don't blame you. Oddly enough when I eat with my family they love to pray and I get tired of it. When I'm alone I enjoyed it more

• They are not used to seeing something like that. You should ignore them, at least you're doing the right thing. Praying before a meal is not weird at all. If your religion encourages you to do it, then that's great. You should be proud of yourself for following your religion, that's what matters, not the weird looks other people give.
    I wish more people would be aware that praying is not weird because it's completely normal to have a religion and follow it properly.

• I work at a cafe/restaurant and I see it sometimes. :)

• no that's great! honestly i'd also look at you but with respect! pls continue i do it as well, no one is weirded out by couples who make out and look like they're about to devour eachother in public but by a man who prays... so sad

• Ever since religion was separated from public schools, you're told to pray at home

• They are not informed about that practice maybe.

• People only find it strange when they don't understand or when they don't believe. Never let their stares get the best of you. Stick to what you believe, even despite others.

What Guys Said 17

• I probably don't believe what you do, but I daily say 'prayers' to a 'higher power'. One of the BEST FCKING TOTALLY AMAZING THINGS about living in the US, is ANYONE can experience their idea of their 'Beliefs' in any way they choose!! Don't be bothered with their stares, or uncertainty!!
    I don't share my Beliefs, unless someone asks me, specifically. If they ask, I share some of what I believe.
    If you think these other might be wondering, you can just ask them, if they want to know why you take this time, before eating. Some may like to know, and one, maybe, will want to know more. . .

• Matt6
    5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
    6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.…
    http://biblehub.com/matthew/6-5.htm

• Yes, like you said. I know this passage, these WORDS. I believe something similar, but I have no book to quote, just the Tradition, and the Way. We speak to the same One, maybe with different names, but the same One.

• Because an adult talking to his imaginary friend in public is weird.

• America is becoming more and more atheist these days!

• We still pray in the military before taps and special events. Additionally, you aren't bothering anyone. Keep on praying. Whatever your or anyone's opinion of God is, we want him on our side; there is plenty of evil in this world.

• I don't know, different countries different cultures. I do something like that but without using hands

• Well , it is strange to people who don't do that and are not religious.

My friend does that. I always think it's kinda weird, but I got used to it.

• Who cares people are aloud to look there is no crime against that and its not immoral too and its not like everyone is staring at you. I get stared at sometimes but I don't go and have my period about it you need to get over it.

• Its unusual for most people, but not that rare to look strange. Many japanese do that, and many other religions. They're just not used to it, dont bother about it😄

• People stare because most people don't. Because of that you stick out

• Because we live in a world where almost everyone dislikes religious people. I mean really, take a look at the majority of people on this website.

• Well I would if it's like more of a feast type dinner, like Thanksgiving, but I might at a restaurant. I'm religious though

• D8n't care how they look at you, it is good to say a prayer before your meal

• good gor you man. keep that gratitude alive. its awesome.

• Probably because people are not used to seeing others pray at a public eatery.

• There are a lot of Atheists and Agnostics these days (mostly younger people), some are resentful and hate people they perceive are religious because they conflate your 'possible' belief system with the evils of the major religions of the world, such as the Spanish Inquisition, etc.; some think you're weird for public display. Just remember there are a lot like you, for example myself - I would have probably given you a mental hi-five or a smile. Also remember it takes courage to show you are thankful to a force higher than yourself, because frankly in this day and age, some think they are the center of the Universe, with no force higher, while others are angry with God over why He/She/They allow little babies to die young while suffering, so they judge you to be aiding and abetting God in that (wiki "The Problem of Evil"). Best!

• I also pray before every meal. But it is not really a prayer just one sentence (In the name of God) in Arabic.

But I think people are cerious and want to know why someone does that. It may seem weird to them.