I could never see myself working 9-5 life.. could you?

Slaving away at a corporation as an accountant or analyst.. MY GOD. I would rather kill myself. I love bodybuilding.. I love fitness.. I love health.. I love vacations.. I love my friends and family.. But I don't think those will pay the bills. I plan to invest in bonds stocks and real estate. I'm an engineering major and I think I'll want to work 5 years max for a company. Other than that.. fck that. Just sounds absoutley soul draining and miserable.

• I work 9-5 life and it is miserable
  • I work 9-5 life and it is great
  • You sound like me. Would never live like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• It might be 9-5, but I love my job. It's in science, and requires a lot of specialized knowledge and creativity/innovation. The research was exciting, and now there's the end goal of a fully developed and functioning product and instrument that will help a lot of people. Hopefully the work will improve treatment options for many patients.

I often put in more than 40 hours a week, but I honestly couldn't be happier with it. It's also cool to be a part of a very intelligent, knowledgeable and productive team of people, who are also fun, good people. We get things done, but the environment's friendly. We play music in the lab all the time, go on retreats, have socials, etc. now and then. I also like that I'm not tied to my desk and computer screen, and get to be on my feet and in the lab too.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the solution to this problem (which I acknowledge) is to find a job that you actually ENJOY performing. Being a continental European, I know exactly what you mean because we certainly put more value than Americans on the idea that you should "work to live instead of live to work". However, I don't think that working hard and having fun in life are mutually exclusive. It's all about finding something that is true to your interests and your passions. Ideally, you should be able to work in a profession where you can connect your hobbies or interests with your work. For some people, this is indeed working at a big corporation (not everyone hates it ;-)). For myself, it is academics. The education system in my country Switzerland works rather different than in America or England and college is not something everyone goes to (because all of the general knowledge that is taught in American colleges is already taught in high schools here). Only a small percentage (15-20% of the population) actually goes to university, because you have to be very good at school to get in. If however, you study at a university, a bachelor's degree is usually not enough (you wouldn't find a job with that), so almost everyone gets a master's degree. Since I love and enjoy my subject a lot, I would like to add a PhD to that and later go into teaching and research. I would also enjoy becoming a high school teacher, which is a very good, challenging and well-paid job here. I think if I manage to get into either of these professions, I would be very happy and I wouldn't find sitting at my desk late at night sometimes preparing the next day's lessons or correcting exams because it's a job I would truly love.

At the same time, I think there are also alternative ways of living that you can find for yourself and that are - in my opinion - just as valuable and good as the way most people live. One example is my best friend who has been working 60-80% ever since (he hasn't gone to university, so he's been working for quite a while already). Of course this lifestyle becomes harder once you have kids but for people under the age of 30 it's a great alternative I think. If he had a 100%-job, he would earn around 5,000 Swiss Franks (5,300 USD). Now, because he doesn't have a family, he doesn't need all that money. Of course he could work hard and save up the money but that's not him. He rather takes life easy, has one more free day per week, spends more time with his friends, has more time

• for things he loves doing and lives perhaps a bit more frugally than he would with a 100%-job. In other words: he chooses time over money. I think that's just as okay as working a 100%-job. For some people, this simply is more right. Another (more extreme) alternative is something my big brother did for over 8 years. Instead of finding himself a steady job, he decided to try out many different things and take what he could find. He worked in tons of different environments; from being a waiter in a high-end restaurant to working a tough life as a sailor on a fishing boat in the North Sea (Germany/Denmark). He would always work in a job for about 9 months, live very frugally and save up as much as he could. After the 8-9 months, he would quit and go travelling around the world with the money he saved. He really loved that lifestyle (nowadays he also settled down). So you see, it's all about finding something that fits you. There's no right or wrong. Some like wine, others prefer milk :-)

What Girls Said 8

• i could if I'm passionate about it. the office life is not for me, but I'm pursuing teaching so i know i could do that 9-5 if those were the hours. I've been wanting to do it since i was in the 10th grade, so I'm pretty much on the way to making my dream come true :)

if you love what u do, 20 years won't be enough.

• HA You think accountants work 9-5? Oh my goodness

My mom's an accountant and she is at her desk in her office at 6 am and home maybe by 10 pm. 9-5? lolz

Anyway, no. The career I'm going into works 12's. 6-6 :)

• yup but i might have to.

• I could work 9-5 doing something I love.

• Nope. I'm a lazy creative type that has always seen myself with a writing career, an English professor at the least. Every job I've had I've hated mainly because I don't like dealing with people and I had clinical depression most of my life that made me not in any condition for obligatory tasks. I'll survive off of college until I publish something.

• Goodluck. I don't know what has caused your depression but I hope it works out. Been there and done that.

• Thanks, I think I've gotten rid of it for the most part but I still won't work lol. Good look on your quest for financial freedom! No one deserves this system, honestly.

• How do you "survive off of college"?

• Working 9-5 means FREETIME after.

• I'm pretty okay with it, as long as I like the work itself. I'm an aspiring book editor, but for now I work as a technical writer, so I'm doomed to a life of 9-5, haha. But the company I work for is a great company, they throw parties/barbecues/picnics every few weeks, they have games inside the office, and it's generally a nice place to work. It gets high-stress around deadlines, but most places probably do.

I think if goofing off were less encouraged, I might hate it. But when you're racing a bike around your office and crashing into cubicles (then pretending that wall just fell on its own, which all your coworkers will confirm if questioned), it's hard to feel like your soul's being drained, haha.

• 9-5 in a job that interests me is ideal. it would feel fulfilling, tire me out to enjoy sleep better, make me more productive, and make me appreciate everyone and everything about home better (home becomes an escape). 9-5 in a job i dont like would be rough. working at home i wouldn't like either, because id rather home an escape not a workplace.

What Guys Said 8

• Honestly, you sound like a lazy piece of garbage. I'm a farmer and work 24/7 all day every day. Never had a vacation, day off, or sick day. Literally hard to find time to sleep. If you can't deal with 9-5, you are not even close to contributing to society. Get over yourself and get something accomplished to help people. It's not supposed to be fun, that's why it's called work 🐄💨

• Lol 18 and you got all the answers. I served my country as a Marines with 2nd LAR kid. You're missing my point though. I'm not saying working is a bad thing but I do think it's not natural for someone to be slaving in a cubical for 60 hours out of the week when they could be enjoying their life. Life is too short for that.

• Thanks for serving, I have a lot of respect for marines. But 60hrs a week is far from slaving. There's 168 hrs in a week. Life can be fun and have less work once you're old and retired. The mindset that you have is why the less than 2% of the population that are farmers have to work their asses off while you have fun and complain about how hard it is to work 60 hours. I am only 18 but I average 110 hours a week. Maybe if you guys would at least pull 80 hrs a week, I could sleep in for once

• But my point is that it is soul draining. It doesn't contribute to your life in any beneficial way what so ever other than paying your bills. When you get to about 25 your body starts slowing down compared to when you were 18. Living a sedentary life will take it's toll on you. Slowly but surely you just start to fade into it. You are making someone else money and making someone elses dreams come true. You can start your own dream business. You can do anything you want. I just could never do it. I'm just glad I choose engineering as my major because I genuinely love to innovate. I don't think anyone could genuinely love to crunch numbers all day as an accountant.

• I wish I had a 9-5 job. I work on a salary based system; thus, I get no overtime. I work 12 hour days and I have this thing called "duty."

• They make the money (finance based jobs and some cpa's (, plus the people that decide to go with those fields are those who enjoy it. The ones that major in accounting, finance and any other similar field just for the money... end up failing miserably.

• Not true lmao. All my friends in finance and accounting are all in it for the money and guess what they are making it.

• I don't know man Investment banking is pretty much selling money. I don't think it is a wholesome dream that your childhood self would have. I definitely believe money is the main factor when people choose a career in business. Either that or security and safety.

• It just varies between person to person but yeah I get where you're coming from.

• Same here, man. I wouldn't kill myself over it, I wouldn't kill myself over anything, but I do not want to have to work for others at ALL. Especially for shit pay. I'm working towards getting my real estate license and working alongside my mother, and I plan on eventually investing in real estate too.

• Do it man.. money shouldn't consume your life and I refuse that people have to slave 90% of our lives just to live comfortably.

• I plan on it man, I do not want to feel trapped. I want to be able to make my own money and still have a life. My plan is actually to get my license, save up my commissions for a foreclosed home, flip & sell it, then use the money to buy multiple foreclosed homes, flip and sell them too, then repeat the process until I have several homes to rent out as vacation properties (I live right by Orlando, and vacation home rental is VERY lucrative here).

• Work from home. Only way to do it man

• I'd be bored but if that makes me able to live, then sure, I could do it.

• I wished I did 9-5 I work 7-3 and I hate waking early

• Money makes the mare go..