Do you think genetics shape personality?

Most of us know that certain breeds of cats and dogs are extremely friendly and sweet, while other breeds are extremely not...

Do you think genetics determine human personality? It makes sense, I think. Your thoughts?

University of California, Berkeley, looked at 1.1 million applicants to the University of California from 1994-2011, and found, "Rather than declining in salience, race and ethnicity are now more important than either family income or parental education in accounting for (SAT) testscore differences."

www.cshe.berkeley.edu/.../...aceSAT.10.26.2015.pdf

Thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• YES... YES... YES... AND... YES!

We see this all the time with adopted kids.

What Girls Said 18

• Genetics decide how you are going to respond to a given environment so yes in that way it can shape your personality but environment does too. A more sensitive personality is going to be more likely to develop anxiety in a house with lots of fighting where as they could have grown to be much more confident I a stable home environment. Yet more independent head strong personalities raised in that same disruptive home may be much less affected. The nature v nurture debate is dead because we realize they both play a role.

• Some what does.

I know my mixed disorder of adhd/autism has a huge impact on my personality. How I act and think to an extent.

Though some of your personality is influenced by the people you were around a lot growing up. Now that I'm older I'm really noticing more about how there are somethings that I do that apparently that's how my mom is. That or somethings about how my dad acts. Those can be changed but a lot of it sticks with you.

So with animals it's kind of the same way. Some can be taught how to be friendly and sweet growing up. Others can just be born more that way. I would say it's half and half on that.

• to a certain extent, it has been the case for me, but of course, other elements of my personality belong to me and only me =]

• I don't like to limit people to their genetic blue print which is why I hesitate to say no. I believe children inherit the personalities of their parents in most cases but that they can change their inheritance either through hard work, through different life experiences, through luck or through personal choices.

• I think they do. Our personalities are a mix of genetics, upbringing and socio-cultural environment.

• Makes esense to me, too... My personality is just like a mix of my parents...

• Well, since it can shape some mental diseases such as Bipolarity, Schizophrenia and such, I think it can also shape some other sectors of the human mind.

• Dog breeds like pitfalls and shit have a reputation for being crazy hostile. They aren't, it's the way the owner raised them. I think genetics make up physical traits but if they are responsible for personality I think it's a minimal impact. I believe in bred not born with dogs and humans.

• Personality is an interplay between genes (Familial source), environment and self realization.

But it is not much discussed because then people would simply blame genetics for everything. There would be genes for criminal personality, dumb personality, mentally unstable personality.

Ethical police keeps a watch on these kind of activities a lot.

• I think genes probably do play a heavy role in criminality, and being dumb.

• Then genes are to blame and not the person. Right?

• I think it somehow does, but not everyone though. It's like wondering if your name shapes your personality (which some would agree and others wouldn't) or the way you look.
    Too many things make us who we are and I think it's good, because this way any individual is truly special and unique, yet we're all the same :)

• That's because the temperance is different in animals, but I've seen cases and crossed-breed pitbulls being angelic, even though I have my reservations.
    There are some predominant genetics such as mental illness or predisposition to addictions. However not all personality traits gets passed down because environmental factors plays a larger role, which would account most of the reasons why a person is they way they are.

• yes genetics are responsible for many things

• Definitely...

• Nah, i think it is the environment you grow up in which makes the biggest effect.

Like if you are adopted as a baby into a family i don't think your genes have much effect on how you become.

• I think biology determines a small part of personality but then parenting and social effects enhance it. Which is why twins have different personalities.

• Yes but the way the genes are combined makes our personality unique.

• I think environment shapes personality even more.

• Not entirely. If that was the case then all identical twins would have to same personality.

What Guys Said 19

• I think we have a predisposition to various personality traits, but I think environment has just as much or more influence.

One thing to consider is that genetics can affect environment, and in turn that environment affects personality. For example, if someone has the genetics that makes them a good athlete. So they are very athletic as they grow up and are good at it. This puts them in a different environment than someone who is not athletic at all. They grow up being more competitive, they spend more time around other competitors, they receive praise and awards, they receive attention from others. All of those environmental factors will affect their personality, yet it largely originated in genetics.

The same is true for people who are artistic, good musicians, or have high/low intelligence.

A person's appearance is highly genetic. A 10/10 and a 1/10 go through life with very different reactions from people they interact with. So genetics causes changes in the environment, which in turn causes changes in the personality.

The first online forum where I hung out was an adoption forum. It was all adopted kids, adoptive parents, and biological parents. Sometimes adopted kids had reunions with their bio parents. It was amazing the kind of things they had in common. Some of it could be attributed to noticing that kind of thing, when they wouldn't even notice it with other people. But some weird traits and mannerisms were too unusual to be explained that way. Studies of twins are similar, but I'm less familiar with them.

• It definitely has an affect, when in tie with society, on the person, but overall, the person is the last determining factor, though too much influence before expanding the universe in their mind is the cause of what ultimately shapes their personality.

• I think you can inherit personality predispositions, but part of it is how you were raised and how people treated you when you were growing up.

That being said, the way you look also influences how you look. Parents and teachers are shown to show bias towards better looking children and it's no secret that how you look can impact how other kids treat you. So since the way you look influences how you are treated, and how you are treated influences your personality, I'd say a good portion (but not all) of your personality is due to genetics.

• I think it's more of a symbiotic thing.
    Yes your genetics partly shapes your personality but as a conscious being you also have the choice to act in a certain way instead of being a pure animal that only acts out of instincts.

• Definitely. Your genetics define your brain structure and the proteins that are encoded in your DNA also define every cell in your body which also determines your receptiveness to certain hormones that your body creates.

Basically, your genetics are THE only thing that determines the BASIC CORE of your personality. Obviously outside influences shape your behavior and how you react to things, but DNA defined your options.

• I think of it more like cooking. It's part of the ingredients, but not necessarily not all of the recipe. Cooling, heating, freezing, baking, etc. all play a profound effect. Now you can only do with what is given, but if you can make something amazing by having it go through different experiences.

• The best expplanation would be that genetics are one of the major influences for personality. Genetics gives you height, looks and shape - or lack of all three and that in turn is what actually influences you the most.

• Ahhh the whole nature vs nurture debate. Genetics predisposes you to certain personality traits.

• Yes, but I believe that experiences shape personality more in my experience. Genetics, can influence mental capacity. Like Autism is genetic and will influence the way someone acts, bipolar (I can't remember whether or not it's genetic) will influence the way someone acts.

• Genetics are responsible for where you start, but they don't define where you end up. Your genes can change.

So yes, they are a factor but they are not the king of who you become.

• Not really. I think it all has to do with upbringing and culture. The only exceptions for genetic-affected personality traits would be a child being born with a physical or mental abnormality.

• All of the factors in our life affect our personality to some degree. Race, religion, creed, favorite TV show, etc

• You genetics determine my things but in the end it mind over matter for me.

• This is a question-test to see how many people are educated.

• Not too much. It's more about how you've been raised.

• Our genes play a role yes, BUT our life experiences play a big part of it as well.

• It plays a role, but so does environment in the formative years.

• i believe so.

• It can shape aspects of your personality, but humans have the luxury of being able to change if that trait is bad.