If you can read fast in one language does that mean you can read fast in all?

This maybe a dumb question but. let's say you are fluent in English and Chinese. you can read both. So if you read 600 words per minute in English text, would that translate to your Chinese reading speed? please tell me your fluent languages.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd just as well use me as an example lol English is my mother tongue, I started learning Mandarin since 4 and Malay since I was 7. I'm fluent in both English and Mandarin, but average in Malay (and it's my country's national language >< I feel ashamed 😓).

I started reading novels when I was 10 - both in English and Mandarin. I could read as fast in both languages at that time. But now that I don't read much Mandarin books anymore, I read it slower than the rate I do for English books.

What Girls Said 6

• I'd like to say that you would read faster in your first language, but no, it depends on how much you have been practicing your second language. You can be as fast in both languages.

• Nope, not for me.
    I'm fluent in English, Luxembourgish, German, French and Latin (? I actually don't know if im fluent in Latin because no Roman is still alive to have a convo with me. Shame 😪😭)
    I also know Japanese and Dutch but those are only good enough for casual convos yet. ;P
    And nope, I can read or talk super fast in English, Luxembourgish, German and Japanese (I even just tried lol) but the others meh, not that fast - I guess it depends on whether the words are easy to pronounce for me or not.

• I'm fluent in French, English and Arabic, but I read faster in French.

• No, I don't think so. I speak English, lebanese and romanian. Lebanese is my first language, English and romanian are my second but i speak English better than romanian.
    I read in English the fastest and pretty fluently. I can also read in arabic and romanian pretty fast but not as fast as in English.
    So, the answer is no. Based on personal experience.

• It depends on how much time you spend on those languages. Personally, I'm quite fast in both my languages, but I read English everyday and Danish is my every day life

• I'm fluent in Farsi, German, English, Arabic

What Guys Said 0