Someone has to actually be dumb to repeat a grade, you agree or not?

When I was a freshman (now senior) there was a girl that repeated 8th grade once and then 9th grade twice. I also know of a guy that repeated 10th grade three times.

What these people had in common is they were the typical lazy types that like partying and think they're the center of attention. A couple others that repeated grades weren't even nice either.

• Yes, esp if you repeat a grade more than twice
  • No, they probably can't learn
  • Depends on what the reason was
I think the only reason I would understand is if it was some type of medical issues and he/she had to really be held back and then come back to complete the grade. Ok, but to just repeat for the heck of not even trying, getting lazy and failing most or all classes, no excuse.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've only known one person repeat a year (prior to university). And that was because he had a car accident and was litterally out of school for 8 1/2 months.

• That goes within the exception I've made. In that case, it's wasn't his fault.

• Yeah... I can see certain extenuation circumstances (a move, something huge happening in the family etc) causing a big enough screw up that you might need to repeat... but then... isn't that the only reason anyone does repeat a year prior to uni? And uni it's got more to do with the whole "wow I am an adult and can do whatever I want now" mindset getting people in trouble.

What Guys Said 16

• Lots of people have to repeat or "get left back" for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with their intelligence. For instance, if you have a prolonged absence and were out for much of the school year, then you will not advance and have to repeat that grade.

• I have seen people have brain injuries who were very good in school before, but needed more time after the accident. Also, people suffering from various difficulties, like depression can have difficulty with parts of school. Like they may understand the material but for some reason are bad at taking tests.

There are so many possibilities. It is not something someone on the outside can, or should try to, know. It just is really not your business and you should not be making judgements like that.

• I repeated a couple grades but thats because the school moved me forward so fast, my parents held me back. It depends.
    the people you mentioned were either lazy or focused on something else. Everyone has the ability to learn.

• That's different then what I've seen. The girl for instance repeated because she failed most of her classes and didn't seem to care.

• so lazy then... or focused on something else.

• Of course you are stupid if you repeat a grade. Not only that, but it proves how worthless and useless you are.

• There are reasons why you might repeat a grade, illness or injury come to mind as well as severe mental trauma. Life happens, I dropped out my 3rd year because a few friends car broke down and we traveled down to rescue them during midterms. I thought that my friends were more important than grades, especially as I could repeat the year. Then I decided not to repeat and just left university.

• Not at all. You could fail a grade due to laziness, you could fail a grade due to learning disabilities, you could even fail a grade because you're not fluent enough in English (which is what happened to my uncle when he was in the 1st grade, he had just moved from Puerto Rico and he didn't know English at the time).

• I think I had a cousin who repeated a great. She was originally a grade above me (as well as another cousin of mine), but somehow for some reason she ended up in my grade. I would have been in the upper grade with both of my cousins but my mom kept me out of school until I was 4 or 5. I'm in the older echelon of my class.

• Not at all.

I've had to repeat grade 6 back in the day. I had skipped a few years in school, but the high school I was going to didn't feel comfortable with me being so much younger than everyone else in case I'd get bullied. I still ended up graduating high school by 16.

• It depends on the reason. Some of them have learning disorders that make it extremely hard for them to learn.

• I always thought tutoring would help out in those cases. That's still available after school.

• Yeah it does, but some of them won't go to them because of certain circumstances in their life.

Also, learning disabilities are not the only reason why someone will get held back. There are tons of other factors that can be a reason why they got held back

• Not dumb necessarily but obnoxious and rebellious

• Nope, I was put behind a year because I came over from another country and the education system worked differently.

And I get A's so...

• The reason makes a big difference. If a litterally genius kid repeated a grade because he was lazy and never did homework or anything, that doesn't mean he's dumb. (Not mentally, anyways.)

• I think it takes minimal effort to pass grades in high school, so I voted A).

• I don't think anyone is dumb. The people you've mentioned just use their intelligence differently...

• I was held back as a child after we moved. My parents were told it would be easier for me to adjust. I was not lazy or stupid. I have a friend who dropped out of high school because his mother would hold him back if he got a D on a report card. He was held back a few times and dropped out because of embarrassment of being an 18 year old freshman. He's not smart in the typical sense. But can fix about anything and has always amazed me with his problem solving abilities. He'd put McGyver to shame.

• Lazy and dumb are different things. You can hate someone, but that won't make them stupid.

• totally agree with this guy

• yeah but repeating the same grade over and over again: that says something about him/her. They probably aren't even trying at all.

What Girls Said 15

• I know a girl who has repeated a grade a couple of times because of some mental issues, including anxiety which made her tense up really badly before any tests and exams. I don't think you should judge people so harshly. If they'd rather party than study, then let them. Life will hit them soon enough and you're only wasting your time thinking about them.

• Not only do I disagree but you need to check your entirely insensitive, scrutinizing, mean-spirited tone. It's unbecoming. As someone who has never repeated a grade and graduated college on time, I do not think someone has to "actually be dumb" to repeat a grade because I am aware that situations can occur in life which distract people from being able to perform academically. No one just wants to set their life back three years or even one year. I guarantee if you dig a little deeper, there's something going on inside of them or at home that occupied their attention, energy, and effort.

• You are assuming that these people are lazy. Let me tell you something. I struggled in school myself. Got held back in 1st grade. Barely passed some of my classes in high school. I have a learning disability. I have ADD. I have mild cerebral Palsy. I was bullied. Kids called me stupid. Meanwhile at home My mom drank all the time. Her husband abused her, and he treated me like shit. The only attention I could get was bad attention. If I was good nobody cared. So think about what these people might be going through. Some are just lazy, and some are not. I graduated in 2009. One of my happiest moments.

• It's acceptable when they have medical issues or couldn't go to school because something happened.
    Otherwise, no.
    I had a classmate in 7th grade that was 16 years old and repetead 7th grade like 4 times in his life. @.@ Now he is still a 7th grader and we are 9th graders...

• yeah that would tell me they're not even trying

• I don't agree.
    I have worked at an elementary school and few of my students stay back not because of them been dumb but because of health issues, behavior issues.. parents issues.
    One of my student was adsent almost an entire month because his mom was on drugs and he stay home to care for her.

• I almost had to repeat a grade, more than once. I was out sick a lot. My first two years in HS I was close to having to repeat because I was fighting a losing battle with depression and anxiety. I wasn't lazy. I was just sick. Also, being lazy and being someone who likes to party and shit doesn't make that person an idiot. They might be dumb in their choices, but they could still be a smart person. This is not to say these people are, though. I lucked out in 11th grade when I transferred schools, though. I'm a smart person. I just choose not to push myself to my "fullest potential" as my parents and teachers have told me. So no, not everyone repeats a grade out of stupidity.

• Eh, I don't think it's fair to blindly make assumptions or judge. Maybe they have a terrible home life, aren't getting enough sleep, and can't focus on studying or learning.

Or they could have some kind of learning disability. Who knows.

• I don't think they're dumb just lazy.

• Some years can just get hectic, and you don't know what is going on in people's lives, maybe it was an off year. The important thing is that you kept trying and never gave up.

• i know a guy that is now repeating grade 12 for the 3rd time now

• Wow... He's probably going to be doing night school since HS has a limit till age 19 I believe.

• Yeah. Either because of their stupidity or their laziness.

• It depends. Some people might learn at a slower rate, some might have mental issues, and some might be going through a state of depression.

• You have no right to judge dumb and lazy are very different things. School has nothing to do with your intelligence it has to do with your level of obedience.

• The girl for instance repeated because she failed most of her classes, even arts and all she is ever good at is being the center of attention, talking loudly on her cell and parties. That tells me that in that case, they're not even trying.

• i would say the exception being they had a legitimate reason for not being in school, such as illness or some such thing.

• Do they even still hold kids back now a days?