I was wondering why is academic intelligence frowned upon by so many people?

In my experience people who are good with science and math and actually have a chance to change the world are labeled weird and nerds and generally just avoided. Why do you think this is? Is it because people tend to look down on what they don't understand? And this question isn't about dating or anything it's just in every day life.

Most Helpful Girl

• They don't wanna hear the ugly truth. They'd rather hear the lies people say (the stupid ones), than listen to smart people who know what's up.

Most Helpful Guy

• I will be brutally honest, and as always this is a GENERAL picture, obviously not true of all. There are three primary facets.

#1: honestly, besides for predisposition for liking a subject (which can aid in the success when studying it), it takes above-average intelligence on the Bell Curve to really do well on such subjects - people with an IQ of 80 generally cannot do that stuff. This is especially true the more complex subjects such as Astrophysics become modified with new knowledge over time.

#2: For cultural reasons some ethnic groups either seemingly do not value education like the predominant "white majority in the 1950's" stereotype used to do, or they are downright resentful of people in their communities who are brainy and study, calling those who do so and succeed "acting White". Some cultures are more practical and value making good money early in life, regardless of education.

#3: This is the least important of the reasons: anti-snob value, such as frat boys putting down nerds as being too serious, never having fun, and never getting laid. Perhaps some women also feel this way (man, he's just too BORING!), but I don't believe it is the majority by far, as many women are glad to marry a well-educated man who can make more than a HS dropout.

I also think the brunt of this nerd hatred is from the young. People of my age group etc. do not feel this way - in fact, if anything, we are disappointed in people who use any of the three excuses above.

I am glad when nerds succeed, whether they be Black, Brown, NA, Asian, Martian or invisible. So should anyone with any understanding, and who is positive about wanting to make the world better.

What Girls Said 9

• #generalisation326 i, and many others, happen to find academic intelligence incredibly sexy. 😏

but if we're talking about everyday life, i dont think it's frowned upon. i just think people, well some people, are intimidate by it, therefore it appears as though they dont like u or something. just jealousy i think.

• As long as you dress decently and have social skills no one cares, just don't act like a nerd. And sometimes people in Math and Science fields are looked down upon because they are snobby and act superior. I was going to go into biology but decided my real love was drama. I have no sympathy for the math and science majors who take drama courses expecting that drama students are stupid, and the class will be an "easy A" who then fail. I think people do sometimes look down on what they don't understand like the pre-med girl who failed a drama course I was in and cried about it and said "well drama is just dumb!!" ... actually no she was dumb for not taking a university course seriously and not studying!

• Well coming from a pretty smart gal myself who gets A's in math science shit I just hate doing the work. It's not that it's because we're too smart or anything I think it's be ause a lot of younger people don't understand that seeking intelligence has less to do with having no life and more to do with a genuine urge to learn things and succeed... but all that shit doesn't apply to me I really have no idea how I get decent grades let alone pass because I don't do SHIT😂

• I don't think this is true among all groups of people.
    Also, you can be popular and smart or unpopular and smart.

• Has nothing to do with intelligence. Its has something to do with how they dress and act. a lot of smart people dress horribly and are pretty awkward.

• Yeah Einstein was weird but he was a genius. I guess it depends on what an individual perceives as an importan trait. I just find it sort of fascinating that intelligence is such alow value for so many people

• Its really not.

• Anyone who looks down on intelligence is a fucking moron. Don't listen to that bullshit or give into it.

• People get this label if they have atypical social skills, not for being talented at math and science alone. My class valedictorian was amazing at both STEM and socialization and one of the most well liked kids in school, as well as in the dating world, for example. On the flip side, my ex boyfriend who was an EE, had no tact, was critical and demanded everyone do things his way... and had very few friends and wasn't sure why.

• I think that's just in grade school when people haven't really grown into themselves yet.

I work in a science and math heavy field, and there are people of all kinds in it. My boss is like a typical surfer dude in Cali, brews his own beer, and is just generally a pretty normal, outgoing guy. He's very smart and went to a great college, but no one could accuse him of being weird or someone to avoid. He is a nerd though (and I mean that in the best way lol).

It's not about whether you study math or science, it's about your social skills and ability to interact and relate to other people.

• Depends upon what you think not about others.

What Guys Said 13

• Take it from me, and intellectual, cerebral, college-educated black American guy.

----

First of all, not everyone is an intellectual. Some people (as much as an asshole as I sound but is true), simply cannot process things on a level as you or I. Other CAN, but simply choose not to because they don't see the value in it, and would rather spend that mental energy doing something else.

Secondly, some of these highly intellectual people come off as uppity / snobby to the average person. I have seen too many highly intellectually powered people be absolutely inadequate with unwritten social and communication rules. Some of them flex their intellectual working of their mind in the open WAY too much, like they're trying to hard to impress or to show they are better than other people. Almost like they can't enjoy the simple things in life.

In fact, most of these highly intellectual people struggle most of all, with basic small talk when meeting new people; the reason is these people find this type of conversation more pointless and mundane because there's no depth to process and interpret.

To all my fellow brainy people: turn off the intellectual data-crunching and analysis switch in your brain, and you will enjoy life more!

• You bring up good points; but I have a question for you. Do you think surrendering intellectual prowess for social skills is a positive trade. I personally place a much higher value on intelligence than social skills, not in any relationship sort of way but in generals as what skills should be valued most in humanity

• That might depend on your region.

In regions of Asia where the social standards are influenced by Confucius's teachings, scholarship is expected and high academic performance is a source of high standing (if not followed by conceitedness).

In impoverished regions of Asia, academics may not be seen as the guarantor of wealth, but as a shield against poverty. Thus, studying hard is expected, and slaking-off is a surefire path begging in the streets for scraps.

Different regions may have different dynamics.

• I think because more often than not, there is a trade for intelligence for fun spirited and social skills. not always, but often.

Plus, people don't like to feel dumb, so you would have to find someone as intelligent as yourself for a functioning relationship.

• Not at all I find intelligence pretty sexy and personally I think we be rewarded intelligent/smart people in school more and giving them more opportunities to succeed in life and change the world. But remember don't be cocky, arrogant or act superior simply due to your smarts and intelligence because there is always someone stronger, smarter, and overall better always a bigger fish so to speak.

• I would assume it is just a means to claim that THAT is not a real value. This way, they don't have to feel bad about themselves not having it.

• they hate us cuz they ain't us

turns out I'm pretty good at math

• Envy, dude. Just envy.

• instant buzz kill

• Because it's gone the other way and far from being the downtrodden nerds of yesteryear a lot of academics are now a bunch of supercilious knob jockeys carrying a victim card... it's a "I got bullied for having thick glasses so now I will flex my intellectual prowess to feel big" kind of thing.

• Being intelligent isn't "cool." That extends into other analytical fields such as history, archaeology, linguistics etc. It is deemed "boring" or even "useless" such as the math and sciences are, but you need to be intelligent to excel in any of those fields.

• That's American culture for you. Where nerds and geeks labels are invented.

• I don't frown on it, I have it in spades. It's just unlike a lot of other people with the same talents, I recognize it's limitations. Academic intelligence too often is like a toddler with a chainsaw.

• I say it is a combination of them looking down on what they don't understand, and them seeing the smart individual as a threat to them.