GAG'ers, do you and your guy or girl vote for the same political party?

No need to tell me which one if you don't like to, but I'm curious what the influence on a relationship would be if for example the guy would be liberal and the girl socialist...

My parents and I are "rather liberal" though I like the way how here in Belgium governments are generally coalitions. It takes negotiation to get a government but it makes the policy a good compromise which makes sure all people recognize some part of themselves in it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm actually very unusual. I have absolutely no interest in politics. I have never voted in my life. People will go OMG think of the women who died for you, and yes, I do. But currently I don't see the point in voting. In this country if you are a young person it's a case of voting for shitstorm 1,2 or 3. No party represents the young. It doesn't help that my grandfather bored me to death from a young age with it.

But yes. I'm weird. My boyfriend votes and I understand why he votes the way he does. We are fairly similar minded.

• Haha I guess that if one doesn't vote and the other does, there's little chance you won't agree :D
      Imagine one would be nationalist and the other socialist... than diplomacy would be required.
      But you're not weird in not being too interested in politics. I also don't have too much interest in it. Main reasons: most politicians are more into defending their electoral interests than the interests of their voters :D

• Thanks for MH!!

• Haha weird or not, the MH is the MH :D

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't have a girlfriend, but in Brazil it wouldn't matter anyway, all parties are the same once they reach power, no difference between them.

• Doesn't the Brazilian government have some sort of a... "slightly" corrupt reputation? :o

• Thank you! You're welcome to try it, but I may try it first xD

What Girls Said 10

• Hmm, kinda? I mean, we have the same beliefs over most topics and don't disagree outrageously on anything, though he would identify himself as an anarchist whereas I would not. If he voted, he would vote for the same party as I vote for.

• Is he an anarcho-capitalist?

• He sounds like one of those anarcho-communists or syndicalists, then.

• @TheSpartan well if that was about me... I'm rather liberal so certainly not communist and I'm also not a big fan of syndicalists as far as it's the ones that would really fight for their rights.
      We've had some major incidents recently with people dancing on the train rails or blocking highways. These guys lack every sense of responsibility.
      No problems that they manifest and come up for their rights - but in a peaceful way :-)

• Both me and my partner think political parties are stupid to base a vote on... we usually have the same ideas about political stuff, but when we don't it's never an issue for our relatonship.

• Clear! Yeah political parties are fairly relative... many politicians defend their own interests.
      I think it's best to look at general political streams: socialist, liberal, chistian democrat, environmentalist,...

• neither one of us vote... or care to. but if we did, i think we might vote oposite each other. just because of our personal preferences.

• Thanks. And the conclusion would than be: it does not have a significant influence on your relationship? In my case (but I'm single for the moment) I'm quite convinced it wouldn't make a difference either.

• I am not opposed to befriending people of different political beliefs, or the thought of having a relationship with such a person. If there were to be an issue, it would be if they did not extend the same kindness and respect for my own views.

• Yeah I think that's 100% true: I could also live together with anyone as long as we would be giving each other love and respect :D

• Yes but we are in disagreement in terms of the primary.

• Haha that stimulates some healthy discussion I guess :D

• We would if he could vote. We hold the same opinions on most things.

• My boyfriend doesn't vote at all.

• Neither of us vote.

• You guys are lucky... in Belgium it's mandatory. Not to vote, but to "choose".
      That means: you can also choose to vote blank but you cannot stay away from the elections :o

• no he is right wing I am left wing XD

• Haha so you needed to form a coalition? Or is one of you in the opposition 8) 8) ?

• I will be with someone who is fair/knows justice.

I could be following the wrong party and be can tell me more about the other parties, what are they doing wrong, the history, etc and will have no problem with that.

✌❤

• Sounds good, this statement could be about me as well :D

What Guys Said 10

• My girl and I are scary alike in most every matter of thought processes. However politically we are on opposite spectrum's. She has her views as it fits her ideals and I am more motivated by promise of change from candidates that see there is an issue to be addressed. So my obvious answer is NOPE !

• Well, I don't know if in the USA candidates tend to keep their promises... in Belgium people promise a lot but since governments are always coalitions they can only accomplish bits and pieces of their promised policy.
      When looking back at the period a government was in charge, you'll see Christian democrat decisions, socialist and liberal decisions. Like a Picasso painting 8)

• No political office in the USA has accomplished much of anything. Too many cooks in the kitchen and they all have power to kill and idea. So sounds very familiar my friend.

• Yes, or else we wouldn't be together.

• Haha don't you think some diplomacy would solve the matter if you would have different political opinions?

• If by girl you mean Miss Rosie Palm then yes we both do.

• What if I don't live in a democracy

• That's interesting... how does it feel - is it a difficult situation to have little influence on politics in your country?

• @Asker yep what can be more horrifying. But i think one thing is for sure, all or at least most of couples there have the same opinion. Free us!

• Can never, because I don't vote.

• And would it potentially be an issue if she had political interests? Or are you tolerant towards any opinion?

• I do not care what she thinks about politics, she can hail Bush if she wants

• She would have to be conservative at least, but preferably libertarian.

• You're the first one with requirements... so if for example you'd meet a nice girl and discover during the fourth date she's socialist, would the relationship go bust?

• Yeah, it'd be a bust, unless she was a market socialist.

• Yes, we do.

• This time we will. Did not vote last time.

• And any major differences between the two of you in terms of politics?

• Yeah Greece has had a lot political term oil too. Then you have the repercussions of the fall of the iron curtain which is still effecting that region.

• Indeed, it's a combination of things that happened over a 20 year period and intensified over the last 5 years :-(

• Probably yes, but it's not that important.

• Yes... we do.