To call in sick or not?

I'd have a 12 hour shift very soon on ZERO sleep.
Mum feeling very fragile in myself, my depression & anxiety are bad today.. I don't usually call in sick.
But im still on 6 month probation..
i am genuinely feeling really ill though, and like I said really fragile and I can't be yelled at today.

I dont feel I can go in today..
Thoughts? Should I or shouldn't I ring in sick.. And I won't ever do it again lol.

I meant I'm feeling fragile, not mum lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Call in and let them know your situation. 12 hours is a long shift. What do you do for work? I can't think of many jobs where a 12 hour shift for someone who's feeling depressed, anxious, and fragile (aka, SICK) and is on zero sleep is a good idea. Your concentration won't be there, your performance won't be good, if you interact with customers that won't be good, AND you run the risk of missing out on future shifts if you push yourself too hard and REALLY get sick.
    Call out sick or see if you can come in for the second half of your shift, to give yourself some time to sleep and recuperate.

• I'm a carer. Thank you !

Most Helpful Girl

• "And I won't ever do it again"

Your supervisor doesn't know that. You're still on probation. They don't fully know your work ethic as of yet. I feel like it'll be more harm for you to call off than it will be for them to see with their own eyes that you're feeling ill. It's always best to go in and give it a shot, and then leave early if you can't do it.

• Thank you :) ahh I know it's just I KNOW they wouldn't send me home and I can't fake being strong today lol. Fuck.

• Don't wait for them to tell you, just go up to them and explain that you're feeling ill and don't think you can make it through the rest of your shift. They might be disappointed that you're leaving early, but at least you'll get points for going in and attempting.

What Guys Said 3

• calling off might get you a verbal warning at most probably, having a bad attitude or anything along those lines might get you fired depending on the severity of your potential outbursts. call off and rest, it shouldn't be a big deal to miss one day of work. hell i just called off tonight because i'm not in the mood for the deathmarch that is work.

• "I won't ever do it again" is the biggest lie ever. The only way to beat depression is to face the negative.

• Hey, better safe than sorry, stay home.

What Girls Said 5

• But what if next time you're actually sick?
    Or something comes up?

Your best bet is to go in- as someone with anxiety and depression I understand how you feel. You can do this.

• never hurts to miss a day

• yes believe me you won't regret it!

• Yea call in sick for sure lol I would

• yes for sure