Why do people ask questions but not accept any answers they're given?

I've noticed this a lot lately. And especially when many people give similar answers but the asker seems to refuse and argue with it. What gives?

(Mind you that part of this question is just me venting. Sorry!)

Most Helpful Guy

• It's because there's a tendency for people to come up with their own answers to their questions prior to posting and the sole reason of their posting is to get external validation to their own answers. They're hoping we say what they're already thinking in their head so that they feel validated in thinking that. They want to know they're right by hearing it from an outside source.

When they get answers that conflict with their internal theories they get defensive because it means that they were wrong. People don't want answers and understanding. They want validation and knowing they were right.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's because they can't accept the fact that some people disagree with them. I guess they believe that we all should share the same opinion.
    Other times they want to find someone who agrees with them and tells them they're right. When this doesn't happen, they get frustrated and start arguing with everybody.

What Guys Said 4

• We should vent together... just pick like a certain question, and just tear it apart. I have met sooo many of them (you might even be one) that has completely disagreed with what I said and stuck to what they thought regardless... its irritating.

• I completely agree!

• Ay, don't tag me in your bullshit buddy.

• @Asker See what i mean? :)

• Because the asker was seeking to have their own opinion reinforced, and didn't want any opposing opinions. The asker sees alternate opinions as a threat to their own beliefs, and seeks to prove other people wrong as a way of feeling better about themselves.

• Probably because they aren't looking for honest answers, and want to stay in their illusion.

• Because all advice is freely given, not freely taken and anything free is only useful if it comes from yourself.

What Girls Said 2

• Well it's not like a person's opinion is the end of it. Maybe for some people, arguing out the point leads to understanding.
    Sometimes it's a trap. Those are fun.

• Lol I have noticed that too. I gave advice with 3 options and got a smart reply to each one. I think it's strange.

• I've been having that lately too. Especially on those where someone is depressed. I'm studying to be a counselor so I take particular interest in wanting to help with those. But all I get is arguing even when I see practically every answer is the same.

• They cannot accept that they could be wrong. Or like in a case where I answered a girl about an issue she gave out to everyone in a really snappy way. But mine she was ok with. Sometimes I think it's how they read opinions too. Some guys hate women's replies and as do some girls they want the attention from the guys not a reality check from a girl