Am I still me if I replace parts of my brain with robot brain parts?

This is a real mindfuck thought experiment.

I replace the left half my brain with a robot brain that has all my old thoughts. Now after a year I replaced my right brain with a robotic brain. Am I still me? I'm still acting like me 100%. I truly believe I'm me even with a complete robot brain. But am I me?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you're still you. First, because you think and act the same way you did before you replaced our brain, you're still you because they way you think and behave hasn't changed. If someone had their leg amputated and replaced with an artificial leg, they are still the same person because they have control or their leg and the way leg behaves is the same as the way their original leg behaved.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well considering the fact that no atom in your body is ever kept for more then five years where you ever really you to begin with? What is you, is it your physical body? because then you are constantly being replaced by something else so you would not last very long. Is it your thoughts and mind? If that is the case then you would still be you and in fact every time you interact with an individual you would alter their perceptions by how you interact with them, maybe even inspiring an idea thus your mind would be insuring a part of itself would survive ie your mind would be reproducing.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• No your not unless the robotic chip can simulate every possible combination of a human neurons and pathways

As of now we are so far off to having the ability to create anything even remotely close to a human brain - its way too complex

• no, you would just be what the computer in your head thinks is you

• I would say yes, because I believe the soul is who you are, not your body. So theoretically if you could still somehow live with your body and a robotic brain, you would still be yourself. But I don't think we will ever be able to achieve that technology.