Can a christian not believe in the bible and what it says?

I'm an atheist myself, but my mother is a christian, and apparently she doesn't believe in the bible and thinks it's more like a story book, but she does believe in god and jesus and whatnot... but isn't the bible kind of the whole point of christianity?

• Yes
  • No
  • I myself am a christian and don't believe in the bible

Most Helpful Guy

• If you don't belive anything the Bible says, then no you can not be a Christian by definition.

Some people are Christian in name alone. Like if someone asks them, "what religion do you believe in?" a lot of people just say Christian because it's common, they kinda think there is a god and they celebrate Christmas anyways so why not. But to be a Christian you have to believe the Bible. The question is what was history and what was allegory.

To me, I know much of it was just historical data describing what was and where we are now and a lot of it was allegorical tales for the purposes of teaching lessons. Like the Grimm fairytales, but for the Bible they're called parables.

But there is a clear as day statement in the Bible that says in order to be a Christian, you must accept Jesus as your Lord and savior. Plus have faith in him, that he is God. So if she believes that and has accepted him, then yes she is a Christian even if she believes that much of the Bible was allegory and not historical (as do I).
    But you do have to believe that some of it was historical and true.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok so, I don't technically believe in the Bible, I believe that it is the word of God because God is in all of us and we are in the image and likeness of him. The Bible is in figurative language and if you choose to perceive it that way you are choosing the contextualist approach, but others take it literally by choosing the fundamentalist approach. The Bible portrays several stories which once again are not necessarily true but represent Jesus and God. And if you just don't agree with the Bible in general, doesn't mean you're not Christian.

What Guys Said 9

• The new testiment was put together about 300 years after the start of christanity. It was written by believers to pass on religious stories that had been passed down previously written elsewhere or by storytelling. There was much debate at the time as to what stories to even include, and to the process for deciding. You can be a believer and still not believe in the literal truth of the bible because of how it was put together.

• I was raised Christian and so many people get caught up in the rules and technicalities and if stuff really happened and make a whole big mess of things. A lot of people quote tiny passages to fuel reasons to hate. But many stories in there boil to down to a simple message: be a good person. Don't hurt others. Be humble. That's the real message people should take away. Your mom has the right idea.

• you're not christian if you dont have a relatinoship with Jesus Christ and at least try to foloow his teachings

God has no grandkids and going to church means nothing if your hearts not there. why its in the bible "many are invited but few are chosen" same thing goes to catholics, I've met so many catholics who aren't catholics.

how do you now know this? you're only a christian throuhg faith, not being born into a family

• Christians take whatever they want from the bible whenever they want to. That's what I hate about them the most. They will simply take passages whenever it fits them right. Well those who read the bible because most of them haven't even touched the damn thing. I believe that you can't follow a religion if you don't fully agree with what it says.

• People can believe in whatever they want. But seriously if any Christian completely believed in the bible they would be in prison for all the crimes that are commanded in there.

• Positions like the one from your mother are very common.
    I think those people are not really religious type, but they just get the habit of using those words/expressions (gos, jesus and etc) in different contexts because they are popular.

• No you can't.

• that is just stupid, and a oxy-moron, that makes you some kind of pseudo-neo christian with weird beliefs...

• The idea that everything in the bible that isn't explicitly an allegory is -literally- true is in fact a relatively modern (post scientific revolution) idea that has never been believed by a majority of christians.

So the answer is without question - the vast majority of christian leaders and christians throughout the centuries did not believe everything in the bible was literally true, though they believe it to reflect an important truth.

What Girls Said 7

• I'm a Christian and this is my take on it. Don't feel pressured by my opinions though!
    A lot of us first start believing in and having a relationship with God because of a spiritual experience or something similar that changed our lives. A lot of Christians, including myself rely on that spiritual relationship for guidance more than the Bible because we better identify with a relationship than an ancient book. However I still believe the content found within the Bible. Paul, who was one of the main contributors for passages in the new testament could only write those passages because he had a relationship with God to start off!

• The bible is symbolic if you don't understand the symbols - you should not try to follow it because if you do you will end up killing lots of cannanites and torturing lots of animals. This is what it means to keep the sabbath - it means to avoid following parts of the bible you don't understand and if you have to ignore the bible to do it then so be it - yes the sabbath is also symbolic - it has dozens of meanings but waiting on god and not running in front of him is one of them.

• no. christianity is a lifestyle. if the bible doesn't mean anything to someone, they shouldn't bother calling themselves christian. it's not a name or a label. it's a way of life, and bible reading is part od that.

• Umm... gonna have to go with no on that one.

• i think you can, because you can't take what the bible says literally. that's just fucking dumb. my parents have the same kind of belief in christianity as your mom. but im agnostic.

• I'm a Christian myself and I believe in God and I belive in the bible and one of things I believe in particular is that Jesus's die for us

• I'm christian and i believe most things in the bible but there's a few things that are just metaphorical to explain morals which are completely true just maybe not the stories. like Jesus' parables!! thanks for asking nicely ^_^