Are science and religion incompatible?

I've noticed a lot of people here believe you can have only one or the other.

• I'm not religious; they're incompatible.
  • I'm not religious; they're compatible.
  • I'm religious; they're incompatible.
  • I'm religious; they're compatible.
  • Show me the results.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the religion. As a general concept, no. You can absolutely be religious and still believe fully in science. There are specific religions whose teachings are directly incompatible with scientific fact, but religion itself does not have to be. Science is very good at addressing how our world functions and predicting what will happen in it, but it certainly does not address many of the "bigger" questions in life. Our purpose, what is good or bad, things like that. That's not to say that religion is absolutely necessary for addressing those, as many people can find their answers to those issues through secular means. But for some people religion is how they solve those issues, and that's fine given they're not harming anyone through their religious practices.

So I definitely think science and religion can coexist, and that religion can have its place in life for people just as science has its own.

• do you have to say it so degradingly? Actually no, I don't have faith because "its how i solve those issues". No, I have faith because I have felt the lord and feel his love. Seriously, I find comments like that so offensive. And for good measure, I believe completely in science and think they can coincide. But I never began to believe in god because I was looking for answers that I couldn't otherwise solve. I'm not an idiot picking the easiest option, which from your comment that seems to be your view point as to why people will believe. Nope, I just discovered a more spiritual side to this planet, but I by no means chose it because it was all I could understand. and the way you say "they're not harming anyone" as if we're children, it's really offensive. Open your mind a little, you're not the smartest thing on this planet since Einstein so stop assuming you're right and that people with faith must be less intelligent than you, because we're not, thanks.

• @Suhmer: my issue is that what I said was not offensive in the slightest. Sure, to an extent I can't dictate what is and isn't offensive, but there's a point at which me offending you becomes very much your problem rather than mine. This is one of those point. As I said, I was very respectful in my original post, and I'd like you to quote me if you want to prove otherwise. You completely misinterpreted what I was saying in my post and chose to attack me based on that. And it absolutely was an attack. Your first comment to me was a hundred times more condescending than my original opinion ever was. So yeah, duh I'm going to respond to that negatively. I don't feel the need to respect people who don't give me the same respect. So screw off now or come up with actual quotes showing how exactly my original post said anything like you're claiming it did.

• Also, if you're not religious, why did you claim to be? You certainly claimed to believe in something in your first post. That to me qualifies as religion. Maybe not organized religion, but still religion.

Most Helpful Guy

• They are compatible, the idea that they are incompatible only comes from those who have no faith in God, and from those who are so close minded in their beliefs that they never consider what X God's word (the Bible) actually teaches compared to what their sect teaches.

Science is a never ending journey to discover all aspects of the universe. As such the supernatural aspects of religion may have real substance behind it. You can take two positions, either you think there is truth and search for it, or you're convinced it can't be true so you rationalize it away as primitive humans making things up.

What Girls Said 5

• That is true, a lot of religious people you'll see (like in Islam) say most of science is compatible with what God says. But some say no it is not. Depends on the person.

• I don't care

• I don't think hardcore religion and science can be compatible. However, I think small amounts of religion or a loose belief system or set of beliefs can be compatible with science.

• I am a catholic and I think they re pretty much related for example they say humans come from monkeys but the animas come from god so I think he created us after having creating the monkeys.

• I meant to vote D.

What Guys Said 14

• Not all the time. It depends on how said person view their religion. Believe it or not, there are many scientists who are religious. These scientist are able to make both things compatible in their life by giving them different functions in their lives. For example, some scientist will use science as THE explanation for why things in the world are the way they are, while they will use religion in their freetime/personal life as a way to seek guidance and learn certain values. Religion unlike Science offer people comfort and teach them values and the concept of "right and wrong".

If a person use religion simply as a beacon for morality, then they can easily incorporate science into their lives. However, if a person views religion as THE explanation about the world and takes the verses of the bible literally (and not figuratively) then said person will easily experience a conflict of interest.

So science and religion can be both incompatible and compatible. It just depends on how said person incorporate these things in their life.

• It depends on how you define religion. Most textbooks will say something along the lines of “the belief in a god or gods.” Science is the study of the natural world. Science can only explain what is testable and the existence or lack of a deity by its nature cannot be tested and is outside of science.

Now claiming that X causes Y because it says so in some book regardless of what people actually know about how the world works is what we call “pseudoscience” or in layman’s terms “shit we made up.” Many of the world’s best scientists have been very religious including Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein.

The belief in a god will never interfere with a person’s ability to learn more about the world. Refusing to ask questions because you think some book written by humans thousands of years ago has all the answers in it… well that kind of makes you dumb.

• in a way. It isn't that science and religion are directly incompatible. It's that faith and reason are directly incompatible. For example, the sun. You can have faith that some guy in a flaming chariot is driving around the earth each day. And you can continue having that faith for as long as you want, really. But once you know the reason for the sun's behavior (i. e. rotation of the earth) you can no longer have faith that it's a guy in a flaming chariot driving around the earth. You can still have faith in the "why" of the sun, but you can no longer have faith in the "how." Once you have a reason-based understanding of the mechanics, it is no longer possible to believe in supernatural intervention at that level.

Anyway, science is mostly reason based, and religion is mostly faith based. Thus, the two (mostly) are incompatible, but not entirely.

• Science is just scientific theory which is making a hypothesis and forming an experiment to test it. In a way, science is its own religion... Except we update our theories and beliefs compared to other religions that have 2000 year old text that were only formed after decades of oral tradition.

Religion is also essentially philosophy, except the followers get too carried away. So sure, the two are compatible. But then again, I am just tossing words around until they make sense.

• Voted A. I just can't believe that Science and religion can co-exist. I am not religious, and hence I believe in Science.

• Science has advanced under religious empires, so I won't say they are fully incompatible. However, I do think beliefs originating from the 7th century or earlier, definitely slow down global economic and scientific progress. They also cause general conflict worldwide, that can't really be solved without an absolute "victory" in many cases.

Central Nigeria, Muslims vs Christians
    Shia/Sunni conflict
    Israel vs Palestine
    Muslims vs Hindus in Kashmir and India

Religious conflicts and wars never truly end.

• I don't see why not.
    I, personally, believe that God is releasing new information to us slowly, over time. Come on, we have awesome technology and if He didn't want us to have it, we wouldn't.

• Science explains things by analysis. Religion explains things by assuming some higher power made it happen. I believe in the first way.

• They need eachother.

• B, you can pick things to believe.

• I voted D.

• Relgion is ur relation with god , and science is science like a discribtion of life I don't see there's a comparison actually

• Science is a technique for testing the truth of a hypothesis. Religion places itself beyond or outside proof so they are so much incompatible as not translatable. Of course if you only accept as true that which can withstand scientific scrutiny then religion is just nonsense.

• Science disproves religion, so...