Are kids getting taller?

Not only are the kids heavier than me in size but a lot of them are taller.
I went into a middle school and felt short compared to some of the girls.
I'm 5'6 120 lbs

Most Helpful Guy

• From memory, males in the US averaged around 5'6 during the early 1900s. I believe now it's 5'9.
    At least for males in the United States, scientifically it's true.

As for my own experience, older generations in my family are quite short. The guys around 5'7-9" and the girls around 5'2-5". My mum and dad are the tallest in their families at 5'9" and 6' respectively.
    I'm 6'3", my cousin of similar age is 6', my 14 year old cousin is 5'10" or so (I've seen them in person recently). I've heard of some distant extended family of mine at a similar age being 6'+.
    A lot of my friends are comparatively short to me, but most of them have outgrown their parents.

Conclusively, I'd say yes. At least in Australia and New Zealand, and in my family specifically, based on my experience.
    Since I was too lazy to fact check and look at graphs it may be different, especially in other regions of the world. But it only makes sense as we increase our nutrition and better our medical science. Or have more genetic errors, if you count gigantism.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have noticed that too. 😶
    At least I'm not the only one. 😂
    I think it's because of the food that is hormone rich and the fact that we can easily get food right now, so the body has more energy to spend in growth.

What Guys Said 4

• Funny, I always thought the opposite. I think high school kids are freaking midgets, nowadays.

• People get a little taller every generation

• Indeed they are. I'm already 6'4

• Yeah I think so

What Girls Said 13

• Yes! I have a 13 year old little sister who is almost taller than I am (I'm 5'3) and her friends are all around the same height and it feels so odd being around kids 7-6 years younger than me and yet are taller than me. So you're definitely not alone in this.

• Everyone is taller than me always no matter what.

• You probably saw the ones who hit their growth spurt already.

• Yeah, thay are that's why most kids end up being taller then their parents

• I have noticed that young teens are looking younger and younger. When I was in 6th grade I remember the 8th graders looking 16. Then when i was in 8th grade the average height was only 5'0 to 5'2 and the 6th graders had to be 4'7 or 4'8 tops. They didn't look like 6th graders at all. I could of easily mistaken them for 9 year olds to be honest

• I know 12 year olds who are bigger then me.

• they say people get taller with each generation but i haven't really noticed
    what i do notice are girls developing at a much earlier age

• Each generation should more or less become taller, maybe not by a lot, but if you think about the 1800's, people were extreamly small, and over the years they became taller and taller

• That's because nutritional factors and medicines played a role.
      However , the time I grew up in would be far more educated than a time where very little education was around.

• Its a sign of unhealthyness... like when a plant stretches to get more sunlight.

• In my school they're getting shorter.

• I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I think they are.

• Wow... there's probably something in the chicken nuggets! Lol! But seriously, I agree! I'm only 5''2 and I'm not even going to say how much I weigh but it's less than 110lbs! I'm not sure if it's because of my genes, my stress level, not getting enough sleep or just my metabolism or I have some sort of disease that is making me small? I hope not. That would definitely suck. :(

• I just want to be happy with my body please... :)

• You're such a little lady. But I can't help but think most of them look cute with their small stature , hahaha.

"There's something in their chicken nuggets" lol u sound like my partner he has said something similar.

• In my school, different thing happened.

The kids are a lot shorter. :)

But when I was in middle school, I did feel short.