Why do we judge people by the University they go to?

I know I do it. I'm not even sure why.

Most Helpful Guy

• If by "we" you mean Americans (or more generally people from the Anglo-American part of the world), I'm pretty sure I know why that is. There are many reasons I am extremely critical of the American education system. I believe it is completely broken and rather stupid to be honest. One of the reasons for this is the fact that in America, any idiot can attend a university. Literally all you need is a high school diploma, which is also very easy to get (I've attended an American high school myself for some time, so I know what it's like). In my country Switzerland, only around 15-20% of the population actually make it to university. The school system is organized in a way that you have to be very smart and work very hard to make it to university. You have to WANT it. You don't just "slip" into college. Since in America, you don't make this distinction between students that are academically very talented and smart and diligent and other students who aren't, you have to make the distinction later on, on the level of the actual universities. Obviously you can't have a student who even struggled with consumer math and one who enjoyed solving astrophysics equations in high school in the same college class room. So what the system does is create a spectrum of universities where some universities are very bad and others are very good and considered "elite". In my country, this is not the case. All universities are public (we don't have private universities) and they are all very good and on a pretty similar level in terms of quality. I think the American education system defeats the actual, original idea of what a university was supposed to be like. A university is a place where you go when you already have all your general knowledge that you need for your life and you can spend your time specializing in one particular field. Also, universities are places that make their students work independently and in an academically mature way. Now, some universities fulfill these criteria easily. Many others, however, do not. These bad universities are unworthy of the name "university" in its original sense of the period of enlightenment. And of course, this huge spectrum of universities leads to people being proud of their own university (also something we don't have in continental Europe) and looking down on other universities. In my opinion, instead of having good and bad unis, you should only let the kids go to a university who really want it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't I am a big loser then bc I go to community college and I am failing!

What Guys Said 4

• I don't judge people by their university I judge them by their degree. An art major going to Harvard is a waste.

• I judge Universities based on the a$$holes who have received their degrees there.

• We judge people based on everything

• The university they go to typically showcases their work ethic.

What Girls Said 0