For those of you who hate spiders, can you see the beauty in this specimen, or is your fear so great that it still looks like devil spawn?

This is one of my tarantulas and one of the most attractive terrestrial species in the hobby (In my opinion at least). Her name is hayleigh or fluffy blue legs (a female friend called her this once and it’s stuck ever since lol). She belongs to the species Euthalus sp. blue, but the common name for this species is the blue beauty.

Anyway, I obviously think tarantulas are cool and don’t have a fear of them. In fact I’m planning on doing my dissertation on them so my opinion is biased.

My question is to those of you who are scared of spiders. Can you see the beauty in this spider, or is your fear so strong that no matter how colourful they are, they still look hideous to you?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't hate spiders,
    http://i.imgur.com/70C15X7.gif
    just wanted to post this gif :)

• that is super cute. A little peacock spider dancing to get the ladies! not too dissimilar to how i dance to be fair lol

• That's super cute indeed.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 11

• I can look at it without freaking out. Not that it's particularly beautiful to me, but I could manage. I've never had a bad experience with a spider before, but am still scared as hell of them. Mostly the way they move is what gives me the shivers.

• well? @jwhit what u think? ;)

but them purple legs though asker! so pretty! do they look more blue in real life or?

• they look scary like hands1

• Oh my god why would you do this. That was a lot of pictures. Why are there so many spider pictures on this site? 😡 oh my god why

• I love big spiders. It's the tiny ones I'm scared of, because they're so much faster and harder to spot.

• I hate cockroaches more.

• My sister screams when sees a daddy long leg. She would pass out if she saw one of these, I think it's cool tho :)

• that spider looks like something from a nightmare!!! i would lose my voice screaming if i saw it coming towards me. i know i might seem a little too dramatic but i have a feeling these pictures will haunt me for some time.

• The blue looks beautiful but it's just, I can admire it from afar. I don't want it crawling on me ugh omg don't think about that.

• to be fair, thats on of the reasons i posted this on Halloween :p

• I can see how it would maybe seem cool. I'm okay looking at it, and I'd even be fine being in the room with it as long as it was in a tank and there was a guarantee it couldn't touch me. I know people who can't even look at pictures because their phobia is so strong though

• I think they are amazing beautiful creatures but they like to sneak up on you and I'm not a fan of any kind of bugs. I can handle little spiders and jumpy spiders but not big ones I just get shivers.

What Guys Said 3

• It is pretty cool looking and always wondered what it would be like as a pet, is it the type that won't bite you and knows what is food? It's not the poisonous type is it?

• All spiders/tarantulas are venomous, however the potency of the venom and the aggressiveness of the spider varies from species to species. Even then, individuals can vary wildly in their aggressiveness. For example, one of the most docile species recommended to beginners is the g. rosea, or Chilean rose.

whilst most are docile and accept constant handling, there are reports of individuals dubbed "devil rose hairs" who attack everything in sight. however their venom is similar to that of a bee sting, and bites are quite rare. my rose hair is a complete softy, and is the spider i choose to show to friends to convince them not all spiders are deadly.

On the other hand, there are high risk species such as the OBT (which stands for orange bitey thing) who are super fast (known as teleporters), and will bite anything in reach and have extremely potent venom. as you can imagine, these are for experienced keepers only.

• Oh wow thanks for the info, really educated me on that one, so basically the least aggressive and least venomous is the Chilean Rose or the Rose Hair that you have since they would look cool to play with

• I think spider fear (at least hardcore levels) isn't that rampant people just want to be funny on the internet. Personally I don't really have a admireing beauty in nature mindset

• its all right, but I still don't like spiders