Should I add my lecturer on facebook? Do you, good people of G@G, add your lecturers on social networks?

She's really cool and helpful and I am hoping to use her as a reference one day but I definitely don't plan on messaging her there. Is it unprofessional to add a lecturer on facebook?

Most Helpful Girl

• It is very unprofessional. Ask her for her reference now - don't hesitate!!! I got good grades in a lot of my courses but those professors are no longer at my school so I got A's in their class for nothing since I can't use them as a reference anymore.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, that's a horrible idea. I've never added any lecturers (except one young lady, who was more like a friend) when I was on Facebook. We had groups of classes and still it was torture to have lecturers on that.

What Girls Said 8

• If you don't plan on messaging her or keeping in touch with her other than using her as a reference, I wouldn't add her. Also, you said you don't use Facebook much anyway. It seems pointless. :P Just make sure she is okay with being a reference and get her information if she is up for it.

• I don't use facebook!

• Awww...hell no! I took my boss off my friends list, he was really sad about it but no way... no way!

• Lol why did you take him off? What did he do?

• He employed me, that's what he did! I don't want my boss seeing my facebook. In all honesty I rarely use FB because I find it so hideously intrusive.

• I personally wouldn't do it unless we had some type of relationship other than lecturer and student. For example, we talked outside of the classroom or she was tutoring me or whatever. Maybe something like linkedin but not Facebook.

• No. Add her on LinkedIn but not FB.

• dont add her i think. once you have her email that is sufficient i believe :)

• I would avoid that... maybe email or LinkedIn but not facebook in my opinion

• I wouldn't do it.

What Guys Said 1

• I do not add bosses. I am hesitant to even add co-workers. I barely want to add anyone but close friends. People can post some crazy things on your wall...