In a critical situation, would most people save themselves or save the person they care about?

Classic example I can come up with is the 2012 Aurora shooting.

There were a woman that stayed at her friend's side when she got shot. Luckily both made it out alive. Unfortnately there were also 4 men that died protecting their gfs.

And finally there was a man that run out of the theater and got in his car while his then girlfriend and child got saved by a random stranger.

Assuming another critical situation happened, would most people reacted like the last man who ran (running in fear) and saving their skin or like those other people did either staying with or protecting the other person even if means they might not live to tell.

Terrible situation to be placed on and never been there. But yes, I would like to say if my best friend was on the floored, I would be there for her and not move.

Most Helpful Guy

• People can say what they want, in the real situation, you see what happened.

I'd guess that most but not all women would sacrifice themselves to protect children they care about, and most but not all men would sacrifice themselves protecting women and children they care about.

Most Helpful Girl

• I know my instincts are to protect those I love, gender means nothing. I've stood in front of my boyfriends to protect them when assholes have threatened them, I know I couldn't do much good but it is just instinct to protect your loved ones. I know that when things like that happen I rarely consider myself first and I am very very thankful that's the way I am. I was raised right!

What Guys Said 1

• Many people are more compassionate than you think. Teachers protect their students with their lives in many school shootings.

• True. Like this teacher:
      www.theblaze.com/.../

Poor students and the trauma they must have been doing through, their teacher dying.

What Girls Said 2

• Honestly, I think the vast majority of people will prefer to save their own ass. Humans are egoistic creatures but also driven by instinct. If it's really a life or death situation your brain will tell you you gotta survive, no matter what it takes.

• I would save the one I loved.