What is LA like?

I want to visit...
What are the good points and the bad points?
Where should I visit?

Most Helpful Guy

• Polluted, crowded, tourists are everywhere (most are from China), its more expensive then most other places (save NYC), the traffic is horrendous, the scenery kind of sucks because the entire southwest coast of California is a massive urban sprawl that goes on for miles, so there aren't any beautiful mountains or trees to see. Hollywood is a pit and I was scared walking through the streets at night, most of the attractions had so many tourists that it wasn't even fun, and the water was freezing even in mid September because apparently the water off the california coast comes down from the arctic, so it was insanely hot outside and I wanted to go swimming, but the water was probably about 10 degrees colder then the atlantic (which is what I am used to). It really isn't that great of a place, I like Chicago much better, if you are going to go somewhere go to Chicago or NYC. Seattle is also a really cool place, but California sucks. Everyone has this great perception of it and they think it is this fairyland filled with beautiful stars and famous people, in reality it is just a massive urban sprawl struggling with overpopulation, crime, and pollution, it really isn't that great.

Most Helpful Girl

• Cons:
    *poor air quality
    *not walk friendly b/c people love their cars over there

Pros:
    *generally warm weather
    *there's lots of stuff you can do
    -Griffith Tower, Chinese Theater, the Grove
    -if you're willing to venture out a little there is Universal, Disney, etc.

What Guys Said 8

• Lets get a bad point out of the way that LA is famous for. That is air pollution. Because of the way the hills are air pollution gets trapped and it builds up. My cousin went there and said he stepped out of LAX Airport and could smell car exhaust fumes.

As for good points judging by the location of LA I would say they get good summers.

• I had a really good time there. Beautiful weather and scenery, the people were friendly. You definitely need a car as a tourist, as like most other North American cities they shortsightedly ripped up most of their public transit networks in favour of buses after the war.

Downsides are the distances between things, the traffic, and some of the crime risk. I was struck by just how many people I saw pulled over by the cops. It's not cheap, either.

There are some amazing museums and places to see. My favourite place of all was Santa Monica.

• Superficial, warm, beautiful some areas and seedy in others, pricey, huge, spend forever in traffic

• pro
    it's massive and lot's to do
    great beaches
    the weather of course

con
    air polution
    terrible traffic
    expensive as hell (like the rest of california)
    extremely ghetto or touristy in most places

• REALLY bad traffic

• Ok so L. A I like Downtown , the beaches,, Hollywood , great diversity in food and coulture,, great views at night :)

• crowded, full of traffic, I like the affluent areas the best.

• It's a really great place to visit. If you want to live there however, better have money or else it sucks.

What Girls Said 0