When someone tells you they are a big reader do you automatically think 'this person is smart'?

When you learn someone is a big reader do you automatically think they are smart?

• Yes
    12% (4)16% (4)14% (8)Vote
  • No
    62% (20)72% (18)67% (38)Vote
  • It depends (please explain)
    26% (8)12% (3)19% (11)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
10|10

Most Helpful Girl

• I said yes although it also depends. hear me out :)
    First advantage in reading is no doubt increase in vocabulary. A person may have read a story book or book of jokes that can make no sense but in my opinion, reading helps a person have a greater understanding of the world or at least opens one mind to other people's idea. Also, years and years of reading would result in knowledge, better reading comprehension and fast reading skills which would mean... hmm how do i say this.. faster analysis? likewise how video games activity (google's first suggestion while typing haha). There are different type of intelligence and being a wide/big reader could help improve some of them :P

googled and found this: www.theguardian.com/.../can-reading-make-you-smarter (i just skimmed it tho)

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• As a fellow 'big reader' nah. People can be 'big readers' and love teen fiction. Teen fiction doesn't equate to some deep analytical person.

Likewise, reading the classics and the 'masters/geniuses' doesn't make someone deep and super smart.

Until I know the person better, I wouldn't consider them super smart just because they like reading books.

1|1
    0|0
  • no sometimes I read a lot because i was reading a romantic book! I was reading twlight like in middle school! lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. More likely than not they have a more extensive vocabulary than those who do not read, but that doesn't make them more intelligent. It can however, make them seem more intelligent in conversation. Vocabulary means nothing if you do not know what you are talking about, though.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Reading is merely immersing yourself in a fictional world. The books they read may or may not contain actually useful information or useful lessons. People who only read romance novels, for example, are certainly not intelligent because of them.

2|0
    0|0
  • No way.. Ever heard of an idiot savant?

0|0
    0|0
  • depends on what they read.

0|0
    0|0
  • it depends on what they're reading. they could be reading cooking books for all I know

0|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. I don't doubt a persons intelligence level, but I don't assume they are automatically smart either. Can they grasp what they are reading? What are they reading? I think it's great that they are reading, tho.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I've read books that I think made me less intelligent. However, I don't think I've ever met a genuinely intelligent person who said, "I hate readin' " (how they say it in my neckbeard of the woods).

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• no not entirely. it really depends on what the person reads.

I would just figure that they are an avid reader

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah. I just think this person is a fan of reading.

... I also start looking for early signs of the person being a pretentious asshole...

0|0
    0|0
  • No I just assume they're knowledgeable. And most people who read and know their shit don't flaunt it. Those are just cocky pricks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not if they read fiction. That's just another form of entertainment like tv videogames etc. I do however respect people that read things like philosophy and poetry then I probaly think that they are smarter than average

0|0
    0|0
  • There's plenty of trash books that have little positive impact on a person's intelligence. My basis for making an intelligence assumption is not based on how much they read but what they read.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone is smart in their own perfect sense! Some handle situations while some are smarty nerds and some are smart-asses!! If (s) he is reading, I wouldn't think about it much..!

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends what they read.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, Everybody is a moron unless proven otherwise.. at least to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they are big into non fiction reader I tend to think more highly of them.

0|0
    0|0