So if someone puts a video of you around campus without your premission, can they go to jail?

this boy took a video of me, nothing explicit and put it on social media... and I dont even know hi,

+++him

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on what the video is about, where it was taken, and if he's making money out of it.
    Since the video wasn't explicit, he won't go to jail.
    If he's getting money out of it, then you can sue him and make him take it down. If the video was taken in a public place, and he's not making money out of it, you can't do anything about it.
    There has been YouTubers who had taken down some of their videos to edit them because someone that appeared in the video wasn't ok with that, and since they're getting money for those videos, they need the permission of those who appear in the video, that's why they always ask the person "are you ok if we use this footage?"

Most Helpful Girl

• If you were in a public place, or public event, or party open to the public, you assume no rights to privacy allowing anyone to film/photograph you. This is why for example, news crews can show video of crowds at a baseball game or at a parade. So if you were on campus hanging around outside, he can film and post even if its just you sitting on a park bench eating a sandwich. If you were in say your private dorm room, you may have some sort of case depending on whatever the rules are in regard to such things in your state, but unless you were like nude in a shower, incapacitated, or he posted your private address/phone number, etc. to the public, there probably won't be much you can do about it.

What Guys Said 6

• I am not a lawyer, AND it depends on local laws. Generally, videos of adults taken in public locations, where you have NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY, are fair game, so long as they are not used to besmirch your reputation. BUT, the laws differ EVERYWHERE, so even that is just a general idea.

Again, you need a lawyer. You could probably get a free consult, especially if you wrote the situation down in a clear concise manner.

• i think if they are doing it for profit. otherwise you're in public so yeah

• Depends on laws where you're at.

• I don't think so unless he was a peeping tom, otherwise paparazzis would all be in jail.

• Depends on where you live.

• No, frankly (unless your country has fucked up laws -- some do).

What Girls Said 2

• Depends on the laws where your at.

• Tell him to take it down (or blur the face) or tell your campus co-ordinator. I value my privacy outside in my life and I get so pissed off when people think they can just take photos.