What does it mean to have depression?

I know a few people that have depression and I see a lot of talk on here about it. I really don't understand it though. They constantly talk about how depressed they are (my theory is that it makes them more depressed). Can someone please enlighten me on this? Because I just plain don't understand the mentality of a depressed person. Any stories or feedback will be appreciated : )

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I started feeling this when I was 15 years old. it sucked... i had my first major crush.
    He always gave me hints he like me but was string me a long. What hit me hard was the moment I meet his gf! I was so shocked and angry... I lived crying alone and upset... hahah I was like wtf is wrong with me? I never even spoke to him but he kept hinting. I went through this stage like I am just to fat for anyone to like me or I have too many zits or i am not blond. Whatever... then I just kept crying and crying and I didn't know why. I cried for hours and hours everyday... I believe i was crying not bc i love him. But because i thought i was going to be alone forever. i still haven't found a friend or a boyfriend. I use to feel so dead... I still feel dead but I love myself. even I am a little big. lol Of course before my huge crush I was crazy about relationship and after I just felt truly ugly. I wanted to die I still do. I still need help. I still feel scared that I won't make a friend at least that. I love talking to people. But I just stop.

• The problem was with him. Anyway, if someone is so shallow that they befriend based on appearances, they are no friend.

• yeah tomrrow hopeful I get some therapy I sign up... I need it.

• hahah I still need to call!

What Guys Said 2

• There are two things you should do for this:

1.)

hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.hu/.../...pression.html

hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.hu/.../...part-two.html

2.) Have you seen Inside Out?
    fosteringreal.com/.../...e_out_2015_movie-wide.jpg

Because if you haven't, you should.

If you have, then remember when the islands crumbled?
    What they said then is literally EXACTLY what depression is.

Inside Out is genius.

• No, I haven't seen that movie.

• You need to see that movie, it's one of the best movies I've ever seen

I don't care if the age rating says it's 6+ approved. It's legitimately a movie made for young adults and above, heavily delving into what makes a human human, what defines the elements of behavior, what is emotional trauma, what is depression, how our experiences define who we are, etc.

• It mean that you're feeling empty in the inside that you feel that your life kinda suck in a way and you might really be very stressed. Also you kinda constantly get bored...

What Girls Said 0