Which car is better for a 17 year old girl?

I'm turning 17. I will have this car for 2-3 years please help, I just really like both of them and have to choose 1.
The beetle year 2014 18,000 km

Jeep Compass year 2012 43,000km

• Beetle
  • Jeep

Most Helpful Guy

• A 17 year old is not going to have a lot of driving experience. The beetle is going to be a lot easier to park, which is something a lot of people don't consider when just looking at cars, especially for the first time. But where there are a bunch of cars lining up behind you and you have to fit into a tight space and you're running a bit behind, you will be very, very thankful to have something that you can park easier. You don't need to worry about packing around a bunch of kids and their hockey gear, it's just you and some friends that will be cruising around.

The fact that it is new and has a lot less mileage is a bonus, but really the general driving experience is usually better in a small car for a new driver.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 29

• Considering you are 17, not long had your licence and don't have much driving experience I would recommend you get the Beetle. It will be much more easy to park. The truth is both Volkswagens and Jeeps give a lot of problems. I am not saying you should not buy one of these cars if you want it I am just saying expect reliability problems because Volkswagens and Jeeps give a lot of them.

• you're 17 and buying a new car? statistically it won't get 3 years old. Get something that doesn't cost a fortune

• The Jeep has more utility. The Beetle is sexier. It depends on whether you value functionality or sexiness more at this point in your life. It's like having a choice between a Brad Pitt who can't get it up and Ron Jeremy: one looks good, but can't do much otherwise to satisfy your needs; whereas the other one may look worse, but it is very good at what it does.

• Neither those are terrible picks. They have some of the worst repair records in the industry. Go with a civic or rav4... honda or toyota... don't go for the mentioned cars.

• Who's paying for the gasoline and the car insurance?
    Is this a purchase or a lease?
    Where do you live?

• She'll prefer the Beetle but will be better protected in the Jeep.

• I agree with the protection, agree with the choice.

OP you need to keep in mind that the Jeep is rated the second LEAST RELIABLE vehicle while fiat is ranked last. The only reason why Jeep is popular and selling is because of its aesthetics

• I'm looking at the consumer reports magazine now. Lexus is ranked number 1 at an average score of 64% reliability. Fiat is -177% and Jeep is -97%.

The wrangler is their "best model" and the Cherokee is the worst. The Cherokees top problems are its transmission, in car electronics, and drive system.

I believe the picture that she showed is the "grand Cherokee" so I don't see much of a difference between the "Cherokee" or "grand Cherokee". I'm sure they use the same drive system, engine, etc.. If not, there wouldn't be much of a difference.

In th small suv section, the Toyota RAV4 is about 50% better than the average car for reliability while the Jeep Cherokee is A STUNNING -250% WORSE THAN AVERAGE

• @WOrtiz13
      Indeed, the famous jeep seems sliding downhull..: :(

I've done thousands of kilometres in the old military type.

• The beetle

• I would not reccommond the Jeep.
    It is a better transportation but for long term it is just gonna be boring.
    Unless you wanna carry 4 people.
    I ve been driving my dad's SUV for quite a long time and I think small vehicles are much more fun. Driving a SUV is like driving a bus...

• Damn when i got my first car at 16 it was a 2003 Chevy cavalier with a crap ton of miles. And your getting something like that omg.

• Jeep by a mile!!! no question!!!

• 17 tho that would be stupid expensive to insure

• Yea and if you fuck up while you are driving chances are you could seriously hurt someone, obviously you could in the other but a jeep would do a lot more damage

• I just copied and pasted this from what I said above, but I thought you guys could really use this info...

I'm looking at the consumer reports magazine now. Lexus is ranked number 1 at an average score of 64% reliability. Fiat is -177% and Jeep is -97%.

• Why are you asking us? You should be asking a 17 year old girl. You are getting responses from non-17 year old girls. But since you asked, I would say the beetle.

• They're both good. I assume your parents are buying? I suggest the one lower on insurance. You leasing?

• honestly neither are a very good choice. im a mechanic and i have had both of these vehicles come into my work place with many issues that other manufacturers simply dont encounter. they are both fairly expensive to maintain but the volkswagen uses quite a small amount of fuel which could offset some of the maintenance costs. but going for something like a ford fiesta or something japanese would be a much better choice in my opinion.

• The beetle has a better crash test rating if I remember correctly and jeeps are known to be top heavy.

• From a mechanics standpoint, vws are a pain in the butt. The jeep will be kinda large for a young girl but if you're driving around with friends or always have a lot of stuff maybe that would be best

• Get something with good crash test ratings, and all wheel drive.

• City girl, A, Country girl, B.

• The beetle probably eats less gas and has lower insurance rates...

• I say the beetle cuz it is less expensive. And not as big or bulky. But your a teenage girl barely learning to drive but I'm sure you like to go out, have fun and be active. the jeep is better for that. All depends on the kinda girl you are.

• where's the bucket?

• Sorry, the Beetle just makes me laugh. Of course it's really just a matter of taste.

• Lol neither, bmw of gtfo

• get the jeep so you can have car sex

• The Escalade of course :)

• Which ever one your parents are willing to buy

• Who will pay for this?

• How about you just RIDE me instead? ;) haha XD JK

• But you are not good for transport as you probably don't suit for 4 people at 60 miles per hour

• @Mesonfielde Haha dude your awesome ! XD and well, I can go 88mph... only problem is you might actually get banged into next Tuesday ;)

• Jesus Christ please don't get a beetle or a jeep, gross.
    Jeep is way better though.

• A pre-owned Lambo

What Girls Said 17

• Why by an expensive car that you're only going to put into a ditch or another car?

• I suggest neither and a second hand car for the time being. They can be a second hand car of the exact same car company if you really can split with the decision. As much as it's nice to have a brand new car, insurance price is ridonkculous. if you cannot pay for insurance (if damages to the car is made) no point buying a brand new car.

• Honestly you need an old car. One you don't care about wrecking. Since the chances of you wrecking is higher.

Though a really safe care is a ford focus.
    media.caranddriver.com/.../...658899-s-429x262.jpg

• I vote for the beetle because somebody told me a lot of American car require high amounts of oil to stay alive. I don't know if its true because I have never driven an American car before

• I say beetle but i don't talk cars.

• Jeeps are awesome and easier to ride on dirt roads!

• Who's paying for the gas? I had a Jeep and liked it but it burned a lot of gas and cost too much to fill up.

• Jeep is my favorite :)

• The jeep will fit more people also the back seats fold down. the vw is fun to drive, my friend has it, but it can't do the same things a jeep can in terms of terrain. Also the jeep has a really good sound system

• I would like a Jeep

• You're lucky! I love Jeeps but you should probably go for the Beetle unless you're planning to transport a lot of people and ride on a lot of dirt roads or something. The Beetle is much more practical and super cute.

• i'll go for the beetle cause soooo cute

• Take the Beetle Jeeps are notoriously unreliable.

• Jeep makes a better product

• I prefer the jeep.

• car number 1 would be a good one

• Easier to maintain