How big do you think Lake Michigan is?

And does it count as going to the beach?

My boyfriend goes to school in Ohio. It's a very well rated school and so people come from all over to attend.

The other day he was telling his friends (from Massachusetts and California) that he and I go to the beach in the summer.

They promptly told him that, "Going to the "beach" at Lake Michigan doesn't count because if you can see the other side then it's not the beach."

I laughed out loud at this. Like, excuse me, but you cannot see the other side of Lake Michigan. You see the curvature of the earth.

He told them that if he showed them a picture of The Lake that they wouldn't be able to tell, without entering the water, the difference between the two.

He did, and he was right, they couldn't tell which picture was of the ocean and which was of The Lake.

So... my question (s) to you:

- For those who do not live by one of the Great Lakes... how big do you think they are?
- (See attached pictures below) Can you tell me which picture is of Lake Michigan and which is of the ocean?
- Does going to an "inland" beach count as the beach to you?

How big do you think Lake Michigan is?

He and I laughed at his friends for this one. We just thought it was silly that they could possibly think Lake Michigan is "tiny." Like, yeah, compared to the ocean it is, sure, but they were equating it to a pond or a manmade lake that you could paddle across in an hour.

• Picture 1 is Lake Michigan
  • Picture 2 is Lake Michigan

Most Helpful Guy

• Lake Michigan = part of the Great Lakes?
    Second pic is lake Michigan? I think I see Canada or some land in the distance.
    Is it a beach? Aye if it's got sand why not start it off at beach level
    That water in the pic looks as clear as Fiji bottled water compared to the murky waters down here on the Gulf Coast. I wouldn't stick my hand in some of the waters around here...

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm going to say the second picture is Lake Michigan, but it really is hard to tell.

I live in Toronto, right on the shore of Lake Ontario (another one of the Great Lakes). Notice how I said "shore" and not "coast". A coast is on the ocean or a sea. But still, we say beach here. If it's sandy and on the lake, it's a beach in Toronto. There's even a neighbourhood along the shore called The Beaches, lol.

It definitely counts as going to the beach to me. Going there on a hot summer day isn't any different than when I was in California or even in Croatia on the Mediterranean. Except for the humidity we get here, of course. The experience is still the same though. Sure the beaches here are smaller, but it's still a beach.

If the rocky shores of Maritime Canada and New England can be called beaches, then so can sandy inland beaches.

What Guys Said 10

• Lake Michigan is the size of some medium sized states. If you were standing in the middle of Indiana, you could not see to the boarder of Indiana. If you were boating in the middle of Lake Michigan, you could not see any shore.

Now, that being said, I don't think any shore on Lake Michigan is a beach. Why? Because I am from California and I am very snobby about how I define a beach! ;)

• People in Chicago say "lets go to the beach!" and then just sit by the lake LOL "the beach" those cute Chicagans.

Granted, it's a big ass lake..

• Lake Michigan looks beautiful. I'd love to see the Great Lakes someday.

That said, it's not a beach - - it's a shoreline. Like @Bluemax said, you've gotta be on the ocean in order for it to be a beach.

• We say going to the beach because there are over 11,000 inland lakes... so when we're talking about Lake Michigan it's easiest to identify by saying "let's go to the beach" etc, etc. ☺️

• @teawrecks I probably would too. I get it. :) But still, it's hard for me to straight up call it a beach when my idea of beaches is what it is. LOL

• i think pic B? but by the way

Area: 58,000 km²
    Width: 190 km
    Length: 494 km
    Mean depth: 85 m
    Volume: 4,918 km³

• Lake Michigan is one of the five Great Lakes of North America and the only one located entirely within the United States. The other four Great Lakes are shared by the U. S. and Canada. It is the second-largest of the Great Lakes by volume and the third-largest by surface area

• Yes, I know lol I live there.

• lol read your question half sorry lol

• I'm pretty sure they're the biggest lakes in the world. That said most people who live on the east or west or gulf coast would say it doesn't count as a beach. But it's the only kind of beach we lake people know lol.

• Very big, answer mine

i am joking

• I live in OH, what school does he go to?

• I am have no idea, voted for 2 but don;t know why

• Like practically any beach counts as a beach to me. I thought the second picture was Lake Michigan.

• its pretty fucking huge

What Girls Said 5

• I never been so it would be hard to know what Lake M look like.

• Your friends are morons. I didn't answer your poll because either could be or both Lake Michigan is huge. it's 300 miles long and over a 100 miles wide. It's almost the size of New Hamphire, Massachusetts and New Jersey combined.

• I'm from Michigan and I can't quite tell which one is Lake Michigan. I want to say the first one, for some reason. But both easily could be.

And yes I could going to Lake Michigan as going to the beach

• The 2nd one is lake Michigan

I guess it counts though you don't have to worry about sharks or any other salt water animals.

• it's huge! looked like an ocean when i flew above it in a plane. it has waves too!